MPC 2500 Motif XS6

T-Jac

I'm new to both motif xs6 and mpc 2500, but I've owned a mpc 4k and a Motif8.....
I'm using the MPC 2500 as my master and the Motif xs6 as my controller/sound module.

here's the question..

how do i record an arpeggio from the motifxs 6 into my mpc 2500. and also use other tracks. Is it possible? i know i have to be in multi mode to use more than one sound, but once i do that I lose the arpeggio...

any help is well appreciated and needed :-)

Do you want to transfer the midi of the arpeggio to the mpc? Doing that you will lose ppq resolution. You can check the manual of the MO6/8, it has some config charts for this in the appendix, perhaps it will work on the XS too.

What I do is just do all my sequencing on the Motif and the drum sequencing on the MPC separately and then just sync them. That way you won't have to get mixed up. Just go in to UTILITY, then MIDI, and set the clock to MIDI and set the MPC to Sync on which ever out you have the Motif hooked up to. When you push play on the MPC they both will start together. This works well for me.

Junekat, do you have local control off on your Motif? I'm having all sorts of trouble getting my 2500 synced with my Motif. Also what mode are you using on your Motif to get the different sounds on different tracks?

i know how to sync my mpc 2500 to the motif.. that's not a problem. i just want to use arpeggios in mix/pattern mode i guess. is that possible?

My goal is to use the MPC as my main sequencer and then slave that to pro tools and dump/track all my audio into pro tools. I don't want to sequence in the motif cause that will be too much going on. I'd rather just sequence in the MPC and use the motif as a sound generator. but again, in order to make the motif multi timbral you have to go to either mix or pattern. and once i do that i lose my arpeggios. hopefully you understand what i mean....
and yes I want to record the arpeggios (midi) into the mpc.

T-Jac, I"m trying to get to that same point with my setup. I want to record all of my sounds into my MPC through MIDI while doing all of the sequencing on the MPC.

sorry... yes i have local turned off. the mode i'm in is voice mode when i play the arpeggio. (which works) but when i go into multi to add a string line... the arpeggio doesn't play anymore.. I don't care what mode i use as long as the "mode" will work :-)

thanks again

robnick... and what's your problem... ?

Last edited:
T-Jac, my problem is that when I have my Motif connected to my MPC and I press the keys on my Motif, I don't get any sounds to my MPC. I have all of the settings on my MPC correct, but I'm doing something wrong on the Motif. Could you walk me through your exact settings and mode that you're in on your Motif?

it might be this... first hit utility on the motif and check to see that under "interface" u have it on MIDI not mlan or usb... i was in your shoes and that's what it was :-)

sorry... hit utility, and go to the control page.(f5)

Last edited:
the XS actually has a quick set-up thingy where you can set it to
something like "record arpeggio". That allows the arpeggiated notes
to be sent out as MIDI notes. Then there's the "Arpeggio On/Off"
button to the left of the screen. Check those.
I'd explain it better if I was at home now with the Motif...
I'll post up something with more details tmrw when I get home, or
feel free to send me a PM if you want.

Back