MPC 2000xl se-2 uses for a techno-phobe synthesist drummer

modornge

I have been a drummer for a while, and as I grew up in the 70s, I have found that I'm a bit slow with technology. I also play Rhodes piano and have a few older analog synths, a Minimoog and a Roland Juno 6.

I recently found and put on layaway a MPC 2000xl, hoping I'd use it to get more current with technology, even though I realize this is old, it uses Zip discs, etc.. I have a Mac Laptop and a presonus firepod, so I could hook the MPC2kxl to the computer if I wanted to use the midi and sequencing..

Basically I'm wondering if there are other drummers out there or synth players who use one of these and how have you placed it in your setup? I paid just under $500 for it, hopefully that's not too much. Most of my synths are pre-MIDI, even, so I'm in the dark ages.. Help me get current! Thanks..

---------- Post added at 07:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Too stupid of a question?

They'll do everything except the washing up. You name it, they do it.

I use drums and keyboards too, so I also have an interface in my chain. I see it as just another 1/4'' input really, only it has MIDI. It sounds like you are quite up to date, you know how to use a computer. Do you run software?

I've barely used my computer with the firepod, although I've got Logic express, Audacity and Reaper.

Usually I get into a jam session and play the drums and/or synths, lucky if we have a recording device turned on.

I do consider myself open-minded musically and have some looping pedals a rackmount analog delay and some other goodies. I was hoping I could put the MPC into the jams and figure out a smooth way to get the computer and recording happening along with it.. Still in the conceptual stage, though.

Back