MPC 2000 "Disk Read Error"

BEwEAR

I just recently purchased a used MPC 2000. It worked great for a week and a half, and out of nowhere it started giving me a disk read error when i turned it on. After doing some research i found out that it may be becasue i had a corrupted boot disk. So i got one of the AKAI tech help guys to mail me a new boot disk. But i still get the error. I then installed a new floppy drive, but i still get the error. Its strange because ive gotten it to work momentarily (after recieving the first "Disk Read Error") but when i turn it off again i get the error.

has anyone experienced this before? could there be another issue that im missing here?

bump because im going through the same exact problem. i had just replaced the floppy drive the other day and its still giving me a disk error. hopefully a new disk with the os will work. thats real messed up that it didnt work for you

Both of you should get a scsi zip disk and get a zip with the OS on it if you need help just send me a PM or respond to this post.

i feel u. do you know a scsi drive that will work on 2000 classic. from what i remember the 2000 classic doesnt have as many scsi options as the XL

i feel u. do you know a scsi drive that will work on 2000 classic? from what i remember the 2000 classic doesnt have as many scsi options as the XL

Yes I have an iomega zip drive. I have like 5 zip drives left with the OS on zip disk. You want one that has the two scsi ports on the back and it also has the scsi channel settings on the back along with the terminating switch. If you get on off of eBay MAKE SURE IT IS NOT A PARALLEL CONNECTION. The MPC 2000 or 2000xl is set to scsi channel 6 and it can't be changed. You would put your zip drive on channel 5 as it only have settings for 5 or 6 then terminate it if that's the only drive on your chain. I have a super scsi set up that I use on both of those MPC's and I will help you get started. If you have a PayPal account I will sell you one zip drive with 5 blank zip disk with the OS on them or you can get one of off ebay and I will still help you get your setup running.

copy and paste that the link to get an image homepage.mac.com/dial430/Sites/iSale/Pictures/1248099074_3.jpg

This is what the drive should look like in the back 100mb or 250mb

send me a pm bro i would like to buy one. would the scsi zip that you have work with the asr x pro too?

I recently purchased a MPC 2000 and the floppy drive cable is missing from the board. So I purchased the zip drive. I did the following steps:

1). Formatted the zip disk on my PC using FAT.
2). Copied the boot files to the Zip disk.
3). Plugged the Zip drive into the MPC.
4). MPC scans and finds SCSI7 but does not recognize the boot disk.
5). Message on the MPC is Insert MPC 2000 Disk!

Can someone please help me out. Thanks in advance.

your zip drive should only have a scsi number selection of 5 or 6.
set it to 5. What type of zip drive do you have. Also if you have the blue zip drive I'm talking about make sure you turn the termination switch to on.

I am sorry, you are never going to get it to boot on a pc formated disk. When you extract the os to the disk the mpc just can see it as bootable. The disk lable and something else gets harrassed by windows each time the disk is inserted, and overwritten. There are ways that can be avoided and upgrading or installing the latest version of iomega ziptools will solve that as will mpc editor.

With that said, i offer a few suggestions. First get your good new boot disk and for the person without a floppy cable, order one for a few dollars and wait for it. Once you got it, I have had 4 floppy drives fail but for some reason this works on all of them. if you put your finger under the floppy while its inserted and lift a little, enough to hear some noise when its reading its has been enough for me anyways, to get the disk to be read by the mpc and boot. Once booted I get my zip disks, I format like 7 of them, then I load the OS from teh floppy again, and you have to play with it, but it works eventually... and once its loaded in teh copy os screen make a boatload of zip boot disks. You only need to load the os in the copy os screen just once to make as many zip disks as you need.

Now from this point on do not put any of these disks in the windows machine until you have installed iomega zip tools or mpc editor v3 and installed the thing it has in it to prevent the thing that windows over rights and corrupts the zip disk (no vol hack or something like that)

Once you have all that set though you can use the pc to transfer files.

i had that happen i got a external zip drive and a external zip for my ppc and problem solved. remember also make sure your loading audio files 44 k and 16 bit. i got that error with the zips but realized i still had files in 32 bit so i had to convert

...disk read error ???

...Hello out there ...I'm having the same 'disk read error' problem too ...I've changed floppy drive and OS ...yes it's a good idea to get a ZIP drive anyway ...but does anyone actually know what this problem is ??? ...thanks

...later ...Chris DVS

johnblaze1390

Yes I have an iomega zip drive. I have like 5 zip drives left with the OS on zip disk. You want one that has the two scsi ports on the back and it also has the scsi channel settings on the back along with the terminating switch. If you get on off of eBay MAKE SURE IT IS NOT A PARALLEL CONNECTION. The MPC 2000 or 2000xl is set to scsi channel 6 and it can't be changed. You would put your zip drive on channel 5 as it only have settings for 5 or 6 then terminate it if that's the only drive on your chain. I have a super scsi set up that I use on both of those MPC's and I will help you get started. If you have a PayPal account I will sell you one zip drive with 5 blank zip disk with the OS on them or you can get one of off ebay and I will still help you get your setup running.

can you help me get my mpc2000 working, i'm having drisk drive error problems

Back