Mixer for MPC

Nicro

Hey guys I just got an XL and have been looking around for a nice DJ mixer to run my TT through. I have a preamp which is good for now, but I want a mixer with good EQ and effects. I heard the Pioneer EFX 500 is good. Any suggestions?

I would suggest eq'ing and adding effects after sampling, rather than before it. What you want is an effects unit, not a mixer, which is, ironically what the EFX500 is.

I like eqing my samples on the way in but what Kojak said is technically correct

Me too I'd rather tweak it before it hits my mpc or reason that's just me though

Hey guys I just got an XL and have been looking around for a nice DJ mixer to run my TT through. I have a preamp which is good for now, but I want a mixer with good EQ and effects. I heard the Pioneer EFX 500 is good. Any suggestions?

Preamp with eq and compression has always worked well for me as hey tend to be better than eq's on a mixer. Depending on what you are getting. Route from your preamp to you regular mixer that works well too

Last edited:
Word. I mainly want the mixer, or I guess the effects processor as Kojak said to filter basslines, tweak drums a bit, etc..

Anybody remember the MFC-42?
I've never seen anyone use one but they always looked cool.
I bet you could make your drums crispy as fvck on that thing.

mpc2000xl-se1-big.jpg

Last edited:
I guess you can do it however you want, I've always preferred to keep things dry and bounce everything down wet at once. That's kind of the reason it has all those individual outs.

I guess you can do it however you want, I've always preferred to keep things dry and bounce everything down wet at once. That's kind of the reason it has all those individual outs.
I like my sounds to be presculpted and then when I mix I worry about creating space. When creating I find myself wanting to boost or cut frequencies to get the sound right anyway so why not just do that 1st? The outs for me atleast are for the tracking stage

I like my sounds to be presculpted and then when I mix I worry about creating space. When creating I find myself wanting to boost or cut frequencies to get the sound right anyway so why not just do that 1st? The outs for me atleast are for the tracking stage

This right here. I just want to kinda mold the sounds how I want off the bat then do fine tweaking later. Plus the filtering basslines, which I heard the EFX is good for. Think I'm gonna cop it.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Anybody remember the MFC-42?
I've never seen anyone use one but they always looked cool.
I bet you could make your drums crispy as fvck on that thing.

mpc2000xl-se1-big.jpg

And that thing looks crazy. I have never seen it before.

I always thought the MFCs looked cool but never knew anyone who owned one. As far as filtering goes the thing that disappoints me about the 2000 is that there is no high pass filter. idk if they added one to the xl but im assuming they didnt. i have a hard time filtering basslines and them not clashing if i dont high pass the original take as well

I always thought the MFCs looked cool but never knew anyone who owned one. As far as filtering goes the thing that disappoints me about the 2000 is that there is no high pass filter. idk if they added one to the xl but im assuming they didnt. i have a hard time filtering basslines and them not clashing if i dont high pass the original take as well

Yeah, they seem really cool to me but I've also never knew anyone who had one. I don't think they were marketed very well and thus people didn't really know what they were; because it seems like it would be a great addition to the 2K. And they look cool with that rack mount. I guess you could mount like a Mo' Phatt on that mount or something too if you wanted.

I guess it's more of an old school studio technique to always keep everything dry. That way if you want to completely redo things you don't have to re-record.

Back