MD32 Vs. MPC 2500

GV1

Oh wow, what a funny question to ask I hear you ask.

Indeed it is. There is logic behind it though. I have £2300 to spend (student loan money). Out of that I need to get a room to rent for 6 months near the university and pay for food.

I already have an MPD 32 and recently rented a MPC 2500 from a friend whilst he was on holiday. I loved it!

I am tempted to eat beans on toast for 6 months and sacrifice nights out on the town with friends in order to get myself an MPC 2500. But then I think will it just sit there in the corner because I am to busy studying, or I can't afford to buy vinyl because I am broke. (I really cant be arsed to get a job and study, I'd rather sleep in).

But I know this thing will last me years and I will get fun out of it on the days I don't study.

Guys (and girls ... if any) what would you do? Would you go broke and eat poor for a few months for an MPC 2500? or would you stick with the MPD 32 and save for a year?

ps. The 1000 with JJOS is not an option. I want the 2500.

Last edited:
I'd suggest waiting and find some work doing odds and ends and save up enough to buy what you want, value your youth, but that's just me.

I was going to suggest the 1000 since you have a tight budget, but since that is not an option only you can decide if eating beans is worth it to be happy with your purchase.

I personally have a 2500 and I like it, but I know that I could get away with the 1000 and JJ if need be, but i liked having the bigger pads and 2 midi in/ 4 midi outs

whats going on gentlemen. im currently in the opposite situation, i have sitting next to me a mpc 2000 that needs a new data wheel, but i dont really think i'm going to use it as a sequencer, so i'd rather sell it and cop an mpd, which will also be easier for me to carry around. should i keep the mpc just incase i come across someone, or deal otherwise?

kenien said:
whats going on gentlemen. im currently in the opposite situation, i have sitting next to me a mpc 2000 that needs a new data wheel, but i dont really think i'm going to use it as a sequencer, so i'd rather sell it and cop an mpd, which will also be easier for me to carry around. should i keep the mpc just incase i come across someone, or deal otherwise?

Just my 2cts so don't take it personal. But I think you're not using your MPC2k all that much if getting it fixed isn't top priority. ;)

You say you're not going to use the sequencer, so I'm assuming you're used to software already? In that case the mpd might be for you, then again the pads are crap compared to what you're used to.

I'd fix the 2000 and just use it as MIDI controller for software if you wish to go that route. That way you've still got the option to use the 2000 as it was meant to be without having to spend money on a mpd32. The repair of the 2k probably won't be insanely expensive, if it's just the dial knob, I'd even try to do it yourself.

But I know this thing will last me years and I will get fun out of it on the days I don't study.

Guys (and girls ... if any) what would you do? Would you go broke and eat poor for a few months for an MPC 2500? or would you stick with the MPD 32 and save for a year?

ps. The 1000 with JJOS is not an option. I want the 2500.

I can't look in your wallet and doing the bread and water shouldn't cause you to die or anything, but it's probably worth the switch. You already liked the 2500 when you used it right? That should help make up your mind the most.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it personally. U never know when u r going to need some extra cash. You may end up selling that 2500 in an emergency. What is it about the 2500 that you loved so much? Why is the 1000 not an option hell even a 2000.

Don't spend your student loan money on an MPC, especially when you already have an MPD + Software.

Is this your first semester?

Have you factored in the cost of books even? My textbooks run me $400+ at least per semester, and that's with buying used books from other students or online.

Tuition is really, really expensive, but it's nowhere near the real cost of university.

Then you've got all the nickles and dimes that add up, parking pass? lab fees? technology fees? printing costs?

Stick with what you've got, not to mention you'll just have to pay it all back later anyway, and then some.

Last edited:
MPD + software can do all the MPC2500 can do. I know, it's nice to be old school and have all analog, but nowadays with a DAW you can do anything the mpc2500 does and more.

Back