MASCHINE!!! "Akai can kiss my ass."

It def looks cool, I like the concept, as a hardware guy...it wouldn't replace my mpc though.

I know it doesn't come with a controller, but I really like the looks of motu bpm.

I would like to play with maschine myself though, just to see whatup...it does give you that hands on feel without hardware limitations.

but i've yet to see anything that makes me want to trade in my 4k, but motu bpm is looking very sexy lol.

but i've yet to see anything that makes me want to trade in my 4k, but motu bpm is looking very sexy lol.
Have you actually tried just using software-only programs like bpm? Even pairing it with a midi controller will never achieve a workflow like integrated hardware can. I think a lot of hardware users take the workflow that's built into the design for granted. Imagine having to stop and grab the mouse to scroll and click virtual menus on the computer screen every time you want to do something with your MPC.

Maschine, on the other hand, has an even faster workflow than the MPC.

Dude, I am completely sold. That thing is probably the best hard-n-soft(ware) combo I've ever seen. All I've ever wanted was a 4x4 pad controller to program beats with/in, and this seems like my best bet, at a great price. ($699? No f*cking problem!)

BUT, I have one thing on my mind. Personally, I hate laptops. The convenience of the laptop is complete lackluster to me so long as it acts like any other desktop but with lower standards of Hard-disk storage space. And I hate the built-in mouse aswell. If I'm going to have this as a standalone for anytime I'm travelling from location to location, can the Maschine hardware stand on it's two feet like the MPC 1000? You know, without needing a laptop?

~Ak-Nolij

If I'm going to have this as a standalone for anytime I'm travelling from location to location, can the Maschine hardware stand on it's two feet like the MPC 1000? You know, without needing a laptop?
I'd say it's still very portable. A laptop and the maschine controller would only take up about as much space yet probably be lighter than a MPC1000 with a hard drive installed.

Maschine is more geared towards hardware users who want to benefit from the power of software on a computer. For me, the fact that the maschine controller can control pretty much everything in the program without having to look at a computer screen makes it so that I don't care that it has to be attached to a computer. In fact, some things are done faster on the computer and Maschine seems to strike a good balance between the advantages of both hard/soft.

BUT, I have one thing on my mind. Personally, I hate laptops. The convenience of the laptop is complete lackluster to me so long as it acts like any other desktop but with lower standards of Hard-disk storage space. And I hate the built-in mouse aswell. If I'm going to have this as a standalone for anytime I'm travelling from location to location, can the Maschine hardware stand on it's two feet like the MPC 1000? You know, without needing a laptop?

~Ak-Nolij

...have Maschine, suggest using your school ID (If you have one, it'll mean a slight delay in shipping [did when first @ market in US anyway], but it'll save you appx $150...)
...never owned an MPC, only played with a little @ Sam Ash (lo...l...)

LOVE IT - BUT...
...doesn't stand alone sans software...all sounds are actually stored in its software 'sequencer'...<--that's in " " because the seqeuncer control in the point-and-click-with-mouse dept. needs serious work...that being said, the software-hardware integration is tight! It's esentially a MIDI controller [and can operate only as such w/out the Maschine software] but with dedicated software interface, one in which *every* button on the controller has a function. These functions change contextually, depending on which part of the interface you're working with...I usually work mainly in FL, sometimes bouncing out to Cubase & working, but...

==>Pros:
-->pretty much can lay down a finished product w/out *looking* @ CPU
-->sequencer is a little odd sometimes, but improvements will come w/ updates (which are tailored towards this-bigtime)
-->FX are excellent as a whole, especially suitable/work flawlessly w/ real-time manipulation...very easy to automate
-->can be applied to master (song), groups o' instruments, and individual sounds/samples/instruments
-->sampling and sample editing are a snap

==>Cons:
-->integration (at least w/ FL) is a little buggy sometimes, especially once you start 'arrowing' thru timeline of song, messing with tempo/time song parameters...this is 'sposed to be a 'miscellaneous' thing that will be improved w/ updates
-->only 8 outputs (a few more would be nice)
-->while sampling is nice, and *I* have got it set where I can easily rip/sample digitally from internet radio/video, (whatever comes out o' soundcard), or internally from within Maschine itself...this can be a pain in the ass to set-up, and would've been simpler with SOME kind of inputs besides USB-->soundcard
--> since CPU has to run for maschine to, the CPU soundcard thing is irellevant tho...
-->layering of instruments is (supposedly possible from software interface, but...) nowhere to be found for *this* user...

OVERALL...
...I enjoy the hell out of it though. Glad I bought it. I was always using GURU for drums (also reputed to be MPC 'killer'), but this (to me) blows GURU out o' water as far as flow, certainly in standalone anyway. GURU does have easy layering of sounds though
...tactile feel inferior to MPC (of course) as far as quality of pads, but is superior to padKontrol I was using (which many say is finest amongst MIDI controllers)
...very well suited piece of kit for doing sample-based music, period! It's awesome!

Have you actually tried just using software-only programs like bpm? Even pairing it with a midi controller will never achieve a workflow like integrated hardware can. I think a lot of hardware users take the workflow that's built into the design for granted. Imagine having to stop and grab the mouse to scroll and click virtual menus on the computer screen every time you want to do something with your MPC.

Maschine, on the other hand, has an even faster workflow than the MPC.

I'm not just talking about the workflow in the sense of the hardware, but the actual layout and how you put the track together.

I've used a few softwares, and even without the midi controller in the mix I can tell which one's I like and which I don't.

For example, I played with the guru demo, and I liked it...why? Because of the HOW it works...no hardware involved, but it's the logic behind it.

I haven't had a chance to play with maschine yet, so I don't know...but the videos I've seen make it look a little cumbersome, sure, I like the idea of it being integrated, and I'm glad someone finally did it.

I think it will be a hot product, just not sure if it's for me.

Now bpm, is the only software I see that operates in workflow similar to my 4k.

Why do I say that?

Because of how you put together tracks, and the fact that it has a "rack" in it, that allows you to play real instruments.

Since the 4k is the only mpc that has a full "rack" sampler in it, this is how I'm used to working. Laying down drums/chops and phrases right alongside regular instrument keygroups.

That's what I'm looking at.

But I do agree...maschine with a laptop or whatever looks like a powerful combo...and for a hardware person just coming to software...or looking for an alternative to the mpc, this may be the perfect choice.

I will state more once I have a chance to really try it.

...have Maschine, suggest using your school ID (If you have one, it'll mean a slight delay in shipping [did when first @ market in US anyway], but it'll save you appx $150...)
...never owned an MPC, only played with a little @ Sam Ash (lo...l...)

LOVE IT - BUT...
...doesn't stand alone sans software...all sounds are actually stored in its software 'sequencer'...<--that's in " " because the seqeuncer control in the point-and-click-with-mouse dept. needs serious work...that being said, the software-hardware integration is tight! It's esentially a MIDI controller [and can operate only as such w/out the Maschine software] but with dedicated software interface, one in which *every* button on the controller has a function. These functions change contextually, depending on which part of the interface you're working with...I usually work mainly in FL, sometimes bouncing out to Cubase & working, but...

==>Pros:
-->pretty much can lay down a finished product w/out *looking* @ CPU
-->sequencer is a little odd sometimes, but improvements will come w/ updates (which are tailored towards this-bigtime)
-->FX are excellent as a whole, especially suitable/work flawlessly w/ real-time manipulation...very easy to automate
-->can be applied to master (song), groups o' instruments, and individual sounds/samples/instruments
-->sampling and sample editing are a snap

==>Cons:
-->integration (at least w/ FL) is a little buggy sometimes, especially once you start 'arrowing' thru timeline of song, messing with tempo/time song parameters...this is 'sposed to be a 'miscellaneous' thing that will be improved w/ updates
-->only 8 outputs (a few more would be nice)
-->while sampling is nice, and *I* have got it set where I can easily rip/sample digitally from internet radio/video, (whatever comes out o' soundcard), or internally from within Maschine itself...this can be a pain in the ass to set-up, and would've been simpler with SOME kind of inputs besides USB-->soundcard
--> since CPU has to run for maschine to, the CPU soundcard thing is irellevant tho...
-->layering of instruments is (supposedly possible from software interface, but...) nowhere to be found for *this* user...

OVERALL...
...I enjoy the hell out of it though. Glad I bought it. I was always using GURU for drums (also reputed to be MPC 'killer'), but this (to me) blows GURU out o' water as far as flow, certainly in standalone anyway. GURU does have easy layering of sounds though
...tactile feel inferior to MPC (of course) as far as quality of pads, but is superior to padKontrol I was using (which many say is finest amongst MIDI controllers)
...very well suited piece of kit for doing sample-based music, period! It's awesome!

thanks for this bro, really good insight

my opinion, maschine is nice

I bought the maschine about a month ago. The main draw for me was two things; 1) I like having a hardware surface to tweak sounds and bang out patterns as I hear them in my head on the pads, 2) Until now, I have made all my preliminary beats on an mpc and sp 404, THEN had to export the tracks to my daw to get the power of my vsts and mastering functions. Maschine has eliminated this middle step of importing tracks and sounds to my pc. You can't run it without a laptop, but you can do 90 percent of it's capabilities without looking at your computer moniter. I'd say that if anyone works on a peice of hardware and THEN uses a daw to put more in depth automation or effects on their tracks, maschine would be an ideal tool for you. In the past I dreaded setting up midi controllers and usb devices with my daw. With maschine it litterally lives up to the title "plug and play". I love my mpc, but I can see it becoming less and less of an integral part in my work. I can't vouch for the sound library, since I don't use it besides the 808 and 909 kit. You do need a soundcard to sample into. I have the luxury of already owning a nice external interface, but I can see how the lack of it's own proffessional quality audio ins would be an end game for some people looking at maschine. I also wish the sound level mixing was a little more straight forward like the jjos on an mpc with all sounds to their own track in mixer view. Most likely , maschine has a similiar function that I havent figured out yet. All in all, this thing is dope. MPC lovers should be the last people speaking poorly about this device. If you love you mpc, and you love your daw, but loathe the process of transferring projects between the two, maschine is made for you. Plus, it's filters and fx are really extensive and nice. Ok, i'm done waving my pom poms, i'll sit my b**ch-a*s down.

great report man, definitely takes out that middle step that most of us hate! lol.

glad u like it man.

Sounds like you guys are going to get an indian burn from all the dick riding you are doing. To be bluntly honest you can do the same thing on both modules. You just have to take the time to figure it out. I'm getting the the impression that alot of you guys are either dumb or lazy. Don't be a victim of the hardware/software wars.

u can do 16 levels on the pads ive seen it done. also u can use ur keyboard to trigger sounds from it as well. it dose everything a MPC can do and more.

i MIGHT cop this down the road

Sounds like you guys are going to get an indian burn from all the dick riding you are doing. To be bluntly honest you can do the same thing on both modules. You just have to take the time to figure it out. I'm getting the the impression that alot of you guys are either dumb or lazy. Don't be a victim of the hardware/software wars.

which modules are you referring to that you can do the same thing with? BPM and Maschine?

They both seem to be a "newer" version of FXpansion's GURU in how they operate.

It's all good, I think these programs definitely make it easier for hardware folks to get the power of software in a familiar workflow.

Just played with one. Good build, feels very solid. The pads are the best I have felt for a controller. At the end of the day I really think it depends on what you are trying to do with the gear... On paper this thing has amazing specs, but the MPC is a classic tool and has worked very well for the past 20 years. I would take a used 1000 over this every time.

it looks nice but honestly its just an MPD32 with dedicated software and extra buttons...i'll just stick wit akai and m-audio

haha dont we all have a little bit of of gear sluttyness in us??? i admit, i always get a new "toy" when i can afford it, but its always after i have done my research...this thing is like beyonce...everyone hypes it up like its the best thing out there...

MPC wins over all in my opinion, and maybe an MV800

Back