makin samples fit...mpc 1000

bigakizzle

bout ta come fo it bitces
ok...gotta question...done had the mp for a while and i dont quite understand sampling...i under stand choppin em up but how do you get them to fit what ever it is you got goin on in your beat...i mean im thinking a good producer will be able to work the sample around the beat, and not the beat around the sample, meaning you can have any drum beat, and find a sample you like and incorporate it with the beat. now my question is this, how in the hell do you get the chops to fit...do you just chop them into notes and stretch the notes then turn it to note on to stop playing when you release the pad? i think that would work but when you have a vocal element in your sample, that throws that theory out the window...cuz if you just time stretch it, the whole sample phrase probably wont fit before you release the pad...yall help a brotha out!!! lol...holla

Lay it down how you want it (even if it doesnt sound right), then go into Program mode and change the Tune on your sample until it fits and the tempo matches your drus. Hope this helped. The other was is to keep the sample as is, and change the tempo of your drums until they match. Just like a dj matches two records with different BPM's.

Last edited:
Green burn is right, u either start with the sample, and make the beat fit, or start with the beat and make the sample fit. Some find it easier to start with the sample and work the beat around it. I used to always start with the drums, but then when i added the sample, i would find myself reworking the drums and stuff, so if i'mma sample, i normally start with that. But still, i like workin samples into grooves i've already got goin. Thats how i started out, so i like the challenge of makin the sample fit. Adds a level of creativity when i have to work within certain confines. But for me, the fun is makin it fit. Without timestretchin and all that fancy schmancy new fangled whoo haa. Haha
LevLove

Last edited:
I start with the sample most of the time as well. I find the smaller you chop the sample the tighter you can get it to lock into your groove. ( add a touch of verb or delay to get ti to flow also get out of the straight 16th quantize to give it some breathing room ) also if you set the samples to mute the next you can not overlap them as it will cut the first sample played. If you have a drum beat already ( loop ect ) and are pulling samples into the mpc i find it useful to play the loop and the record and play witht he record speed ( pitch ) untill you find something that kinda works before sampling it in then adjust it after you sample. Its alot of try and try again here man.

Yeah I definitely have always done it the hard way (I'm old school like that) and I have yet to use the timestretch function on my mpc.

Last edited:
I do most my sampling on a kurzweil k2000 or my yamaha su 700 right now so theres not even the option to timestretch. You either get it to fit or keep chopping.

Hol up ya'll CHOPPING is where its at...

Chop the sample even (as if you could play it though by pressing the pads) Some like the NOTE on feature or you can set up the program to be MONO (not MONO stereo) but so even pad cuts off the pad before it... Now you can pitch it up or down (the sample parts) or move the tempo of the drums to make it fit. CHOPPING adds a level of control and allows more options... (flipping the sample out of order... I.E JDILLA) I don't use time stretch... never figured it out... but I'm having sucesss with chopping

The smaller the better... You should want the flexabiltiy.

ok...lets say you chop something...into small little parts...well when you play the drum beat back and press the sample, its gone be a small little part and wont fill the beat...thats what i dont understand about the whole sampling thing...i guess i gotta pratice choppin but i have and it just dosent make sense to me

You don't just chop it into 1 small part, yo chop into several little parts. Like you take a piano solo, you chop it up and you replay the chops in a different order to what the original sample was. If you go to my myspace page http://www.myspace.com/noblewordz and listen to "Lets Sample 7", that's only made out of like 15 chops.

What you need is practice, the more you practice the more techniques you will pick up and develop. Even if you make 20 beats and they all suck you will develop while making them.

A while ago I couldn't sample to save my life, I'm no Dilla now but with practice I'm progressing.

go to you tube and watch a guy named boon doc he uses a mpc 1k and chops the hell out of his samples and he lays the drums first as you do. ( boon doc aka boony mayfeild i think but you should be able to find it by just boon doc )

yeah...i peeped the boondoc videos...but his samples are already chopped up and fit perfectly into the beat that he makes...im interested in how he got to that point...you feel me?

noble...i like that lets sample 7...sh it is ill...all that sh it fits perfictly. but my stuff be playin behind or in front of the drums...and when i chop em up little they just dont fit

Last edited:
You need to make sure your not quantizing the samples so they play when you want then work on your playing out chopped samples. Why not post something we can hear so we can see what exactly the problem might be.

MV-8000 Auto-Chop, beautiful.

**** all you fools who say Auto-Chop isn't keppin it real. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

ok full...the next sampled joint i do i will post...cuz i dont even save em...lol...but i will post the next one...

wtf does auto chop have to do with anything? he has a problem playing his samples to fit auto chop wont magically make them.

I always find it best to work around the sample. Its simply easier that way. You still have to have the ideas in your head tho. Some people prefer to work around drums I work around samples

FullSpectrum said:
wtf does auto chop have to do with anything? he has a problem playing his samples to fit auto chop wont magically make them.

You no speaky bad to me. I am cornholio!!!!

If you use auto chop or not... You should feel like your "playing" the sample over the beat... you can pitch up or down the peices (Don't recommend more than 10%) individually if the groove get lossed to make it fit.

ok dunno if this is what the rest of y'all been asking but whats an easy way to make a sample fit in terms of the timing of the original sample ? As we all know alotta the old joints arent perfectly on time in terms of drums or where the beats are - sometimes they are just a little off and clashes with the drums that youre laying over top the sample ... can anyone recommend a program or technique you can use to make sure the sample is properly on time before you do anything on it ? BTW i use Reason ... or should i just buy an MPC or something ( i remember seeing a producer using a timestretch technique on youtube with an mpc because the sample wasnt properly on time ) ...

Back