Looking for a keyboard sampler/synthesizer

Danzink

Well Ive been looking really hard for my first peice of hardware, used to use software but didnt like it that much.

Im looking for a keyboard sampler and synthesizer.

I was going to buy the asr-10 but i think that is too old and the sequencer isnt up to much. I would like something more up to date for me to buy. I was looking at the yamaha motif es but sampling isnt that good on it. Could some one please help me?

Try the ZibZabber Woakee Woakee 49.

Might be hard to get seeing as how it's only made in the Amazon River Basin.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks but those options a too expensive for me Im looking for something which I can get off ebay for about $500-$800? Any Ideas.

A keyboard Sampler... the Triton hands down... (studio or Extreme.. the classic is slow) The editing (sampling) and sequencer are the best combo... The Korg sound set isn't all that... but it's the best sample keyboard out there... but for 500-800 dollars (save a little more) ... and being your first piece... you probaly don't know where you'll end up in the next two years... whether you'll be a Program/Sampling or keyboard based producer...

Differance? Yes... Do you like sampled beats... Do you listen to alot of off the wall old school jazz and say things like... "what if someone was to loop that part of the song, or chop it like this" then I recommend a MPC type of workstation... but if you have chops (can play piano) like to sing and do some R&B then a sample keyboard is the option... BUT!!! If you can't see yourself crate digging and chopping drums for hours off records... CD... or where ever... the Yahmaha MO series is could be another option for you... (but yahmaha sample editing sucks, and I lose the idea before I actually get to making the beat... but that could be just me.) It's got a great sound set... second to the Roland XA though...

You couldn't go wrong with a MPC in my opinion... (1000) it's a great piece and alot of Keyboard producers buy this when they decide you get into sample based production... If you hate software... (why) and need a hardware item... Try to vision how it would be used... or do you know anyone who uses the same stuff... and what success they are having... (Who are some of the people you listen too?... what do they use?... Do you think you could do that, or go even better if you had the item?) Research some of the products out there... (in you genre) and don't be afraid to sit in the store for two to three hours trying the items out... (NOTE: this can be a good way to find what works for you... no manual, just a clerk to show you the basics... then make a beat if you can... if not move to the next peice... spend thirty minutes on a item)

P.S

Your asking a very difficult question because their is no real answer when a newbie steps the game and is look for a direction... everyone is different... just do your research (don't get in the mind frame of some of these 100 million over night cats... thinking they can be Dre because they think they got a idea of what sounds good... but too HOOD to read a manual and just lace this forum with a bunch of questions they could find out for themselves)

anyway good luck...

thanks what you have just said was how Ive been thinking for the past couple mof months or so deciding the best hardware. I think I might go with the triton studio as I would like to be a sample based producer but woud like to add strings, pianos, bass sounds to the sample. Maybe after a year I might go and buy a mpc. I went to a shop called digital village and tried out sampling on a keyboard. I felt comfortable with it and I like chopping up samples. I could spend hours chopping up drums and crate digging. I used to do it with software but it's too much hassle having to use loads of software to chop up and then sequence. Your post was VERY HELPFULL and I thank you for your time.

Fantom-S is also a good choice. They usually go around 650 and I think they got the best sampling of any of the keyboard workstations. The triton however is the easiest one to use ive ever seen. Its sampling sounds WAY to clean for my taste...but some people like it. So I would do your homework on the fantom-S and the Triton studio. And make your choice there.

Last edited:
Hmmm..

***EDIT: Man...you should just pick something that's out there, all these recommendations were made last week in your 'buying an ASR-10' thread. The comments I put down today were almost identical to last week's, check the old thread. And I recommended Motif, Triton and Fantom last week too. This info is the same today as it was last week...ask again in a year the info may change by then.

Last edited:
What so Motifs can Pitch up samples and you can chop it up easy?

The way I would like to do my work is:

1) Record the sample into my device

2) Pitch up or down the sample till it is the right tempo

3) sequence the sample

4)Add drums, then extra sounds like piano, bass, anything.

Motif would be ideal if it could do all those things as I beleive it has the best sounds.

I dont really like the sounds on the triton that much, so my second choice would probably be the fantom -S.

So what sample editing features does the motif have? (Ive looked for quite a long time but cant find anything that comments on the sampling, apart from the details about how it auto-chops and how long it can record samples.)

Thanks

Okay..

Off top...not trying to be harsh on the earlier comments, but I did provide some decent info on this last week.

Nuff of that, moving along..Motif sampling....
1.Of course it's breezy...waveform view editing, stock sample rate is 44.1 down to 5k/lo-fi. I actually use the 22k lo-fi for drums and bass and 44.1k for stereo music samples.

2.For this 2 things about Motif that's better than Triton...not only can you adjust both the pitch and fine tempo to fit the sequence, but you can also make patterns in tenths of a BPM....so you can hit 90.2, 90.1, etc. instead of just 90 or 91.

3.In a Motif you can put a separate sample on every key if you want. That can be either drum sounds, or a sample chopped up into pieces. I use UDRs...user drum voices for my sampling purposes.

4.Of course, plenty of stock voices in the Motif, even some of the drums are usable, which is rare IMO.

Auto-chop isn't the best on the Motif compared to say a 2500 or something. But it is easy enough to copy a sample and make separate chop pieces. Also, not known to the doubters and non-believers, the Motif has extensive sample editing just like an MPC. Filters, separate EQ per key, mono or poly mode, you can make keys cancel each other, attack and decay envelopes. Not mention with DIMMs installed you can resample your own samples or preset notes, chords and patterns and make your own samples. I think for sample chopping the Motif is underrated and slept on. My 2 cents..in any case, choose well, there are many great workstation deals out there.

The Motif is very dope. But I doubt he will be able to find one at the price range hes looking for. The Fantom-S will do all the stuff the motif will for sampling and its gonna be alot cheaper. Plus its got pads :)

Sorry to keep posting, but Ive been checking the prices on ebay for a motif es6 and they are about $500 - $700. So I think I will go with the motif ES6 and i belive its got the best sounds.

DonnMoneyProductions said:
maybe a Roland Fantom-X
the roland v-synth

Definitly the Roland V-Synth is one of the synth/sampler kick*ass of all times.

I have owned the Fantom X, the Yamaha EX5, the Motif and the V Synth, and definitly the V Synth can beat them all together... for a good reason, it was the best synth of the 2004 year.

And with the release of the V Synth GT, the original V Synth has drop its price... V Synth is one of the greatest synths of all times....

Also, nobody mentioned the great but expensive Kurzweil K2500....

Last edited:
balma said:
Definitly the Roland V-Synth is one of the synth/sampler kick*ass of all times.

I have owned the Fantom X, the Yamaha EX5, the Motif and the V Synth, and definitly the V Synth can beat them all together... for a good reason, it was the best synth of the 2004 year.

And with the release of the V Synth GT, the original V Synth has drop its price... V Synth is one of the greatest synths of all times....

Also, nobody mentioned the great but expensive Kurzweil K2500....

thats because everybody was suppose to recommend something around the 500-800 price range.

There are alot of boards to get the job done. Each one has its unique sounds and song construction approach. I've heard guys go trash on the MOTIF, Triton and Fantom... but go hard on reason and fruity loops... and vice versa... Every producer should have his core product... and have everything else based around that... But for 500 dollars... thats add on money... not center piece money... (If he doesn't want a MPC type of workstation)

The thing to pass on is what type of producer you are and why you favor your item of choice...

by experience, by trial/error method, by making mistakes and paying for them during years, I have realize that is better, a lot better, to have patience and invest money on a $2000-3000 big synth, than buying 4 synths of $500 each one.

Quality of a product and a careful election can be very decisive in your music production's success.

despite that, I accept that there are some very good choices on the famous $500 investment range. two of them:

Roland JUNO 106
Roland JP 8080.
Dave Smith's Evolver

Back