Looking for custom built sampler box....

TVman

I wanna get the Emu Sp1200 sound custom built into something cheaper and smaller that works in real time. So I can twek it in real time like a guitar pedal.

So that would be the 12-bit sound, the curtis chip analogue filters, and a cheaper price, and smaller more portable.

Sp's are going for $800-$1,200 used. All I need is something that's 1/6th that size and around $100.

Any ideas who can make this or if there is something similar out there?

no one is going to make that for you for $100. What your asking for will probably cost you equal or more of what an SP1200 costs.

i want to get both the motif and fantom as a vsti plugin, it would all fit on a dvd, so it should be much cheaper than an actual workstation. can anyone program this for me? i will pay $5.

I'm saying tho, I'm sure the first production units would cost expensive, but once they could cut down costs and stuff and mass produce em, they would come down in price drastically.

The only thing I could see to be higher priced is the curtis analog filters. Everything else is standard 12-bit circuitry work, a few knobs, case, and were good. We don't even need a digital display on the thing.

Hey, can somebody give me an vintage 63 chevy engine, I only want the engine...not the whole car. We can make this right? It'll be really cheap right, by my calculations, $100. At least cheaper than the whole car? Its just metal...and you make the metal into the engine.

dee2good said:
okay, i'll pay $10 to anyone who can make those vsti's. but thats it.
I believe there are a couple people on ebay that are awaiting your call sir.

Last edited:
So you'd need basically just something to convert to 12bit, then convert it back and go through an analog filter phase? The parts aren't necessarily that expensive - I'm not sure how much readymade a/d/a systems cost but the CEM filter chips are <$20 - but as others have mentioned, I doubt anyone would put their time into building one for quite that cheap, unless you've got generous electronics-savvy friends.

If I were you, I'd stop fixating on the SP sound and just look at some filters.

TVman said:
I wanna get the Emu Sp1200 sound custom built into something cheaper and smaller that works in real time. So I can twek it in real time like a guitar pedal.

So that would be the 12-bit sound, the curtis chip analogue filters, and a cheaper price, and smaller more portable.

Sp's are going for $800-$1,200 used. All I need is something that's 1/6th that size and around $100.

Any ideas who can make this or if there is something similar out there?

You won't get analog filters, but pick up a Zoom Sampletrak.
It's lo pass filter is still pretty good even if it's digital.
If you sample at 16khz, and detune you also get a similar ringing effect that the sp1200 has.
A boss sp202 might work too if you have something else to sequence it.
The sp202, like the Sampletrak does not interpolate samples, and from what I hear is also a very gritty table top box. Plus it runs off batteries.
The Roland ms-1 is supposedly pretty gritty too. You might look into that as well.
There's also the Yamaha su-10 by the way.Read some reviews, and see how they compare, because they are all old, and you can't compare them in sam ash no more lol.

Maybe someone can tell us if the newer sp's interpolate samples?
I think they do, and if so they will not give you that sp1200 detune effect.

Ok, anyone else see where this is going? Is there an electrical engineer in the house that can show us how to possibly build our own drum machines? Maybe I don't gotta wait 20 years for a asr x/ableton live/intakt/mpc hybrid if I can make it myself.

See this is dope. Getting feedback from eveyone here on building some new gear. I think a mini sp1200 with the same curtis filter chips, 12-bit, and below $275 is a dope concept and I got mad electrical engineering friends I'm abut to hit up on this.

A mpc/sp1200/asr 10/ableton/pc hybrid drum machine would be dope and I'm already looking into this.

Great thread !!!!!!

You know the original concept, and interface of the sp1200 is very good too.
It doesn't have to be 12bit IMO, but variable sampling rates without interpolation are important.

Better pads too. 8 MPC style pads laid out parallel.

I've actually seen a homemade sampler at a german site some years back.
It was a 16 bit sampler with analog filters, and had a step sequencer layout, like the roland trx0x series.
Don't remember too much else about it other than it looked like a tank.

http://www.ucapps.de/

^Lot's of interesting stuff here.
Just stumbled upon it a few minutes ago.

Last edited:
I would like someone to build me an MPC in a smaller box that will also house a motif a fantom and pro tools as well as having a turntable built in for sampling. I am willing to pay $20. I forgot to mention can you also include primo's and pete rocks drum kits?

What was wrong with the original equipment? Yall should get up on controllerism if you wanna start building things. Alot better than building something with the same function but smaller.

For the OP, i assume you have no clue how to do this, right? So if you are going to pay someone to do this, unless you can find a competent electrition to do it on the side or something, expect to pay upwards of $100 an hour. You are basically prototyping a product so find someone in your area that does product development/design. I'm sure you can get exactly what you want, exactly the way you want. It will be far from $100.

dee2good said:
i want to get both the motif and fantom as a vsti plugin, it would all fit on a dvd, so it should be much cheaper than an actual workstation. can anyone program this for me? i will pay $5.

- First of all, this would be completely illegal... stealing soundbanks from the best workstations out, selling em' on FutureProducers for $5 a copy... Not happening.

- Second of all... $5? Something as HUGE as a Motif/Fantom VST, (asking somebody to PROGRAM it no-less,) - and you're offering five bucks? This is 2007. The hassle it would be to create a VST like that, (not to mention the risk in distributing it,) - is far greater than your five dollar bid. Five bucks can get you an ice cream cone...

Back