Insufficient data not allowing me to save chopped samples. Please help

jmanpelayo

jmanpelayo
So I found a piece of a song that I wanted to sample and recorded it. I was also able to save it (it automatically saved it under program 1 with sample 1 which confused me because I only wanted the sample) to a separate file that I previously created under my name. So I then loaded it under SAMPLE 1 and clicked MODE --> TRIM --> CHOP and began editing the separate chops from that SAMPLE 1. When I click EDIT --> DO IT in order to extract the new sample/separate chops (SAMPLE 1 chopped down) it says insufficient data. I dont know why I can't just save the chops and assign them to pads. All I have done previously was download jjos free to my MPC 1000 and add that empty file under my name. I haven't saved anything else that may have taken up more data/memory. It's just the MPC out of the box with jjos now on it. It has the standard 128MB sound library card and when I turn it on it says 16MB installed. When click MODE --> LOAD it says that I have Card free=43.3MB, Wave free=6.4MB, and Seq free=1664KB all under MEMORY CARD. Under INTERNAL it says Wave free=6.4MB and Seq free=1664KB. I'm still getting used to the MPC 1000 and I have no idea why this insufficient memory is coming up. Thanks to anyone why can help me out with this. Just want to chop this damn sample already and save them.

PS: Sorry for posting my threads in multiple places. I'm new to the forum rules and just want some help.

The sound library card is just a regular CF-card filled with samples. It has nothing to do with your sampler's sampletime but with storing samples that could be loaded to your sampler and would then take up some of that internal memory..

You have 16mb of memory installed. Did it come with that or with maxed out memory (128mb)? If it is the latter, make sure the memory chips are properly connected. I believe 16mb is 68 seconds of sample time in stereo (twice that in mono), jjos may reduce it more (maybe somebody using jjos can verify this, I use a 2000XL). And based on what you mentioned, you have 6.4mb left. How long is the sample? I would bet that you are trying to create a bunch of large chops that are simply too large for the memory you got. Max out the memory and you won't experience these issues again. The 128mb will not cost much, you can probably get it for like $15 including shipping if bought online.

If you are in a hurry to chop it: Pitch up the sample before loading/sampling it to your MPC. Then pitch it back to normal in the machine. And only load up parts you actually are going to use.

"16MB of on-board memory comes standard and can be expanded up to 128MB. You can save your work to a Standard Compact Flash Card (up to 2GB). A preloaded CF card with popular Akai Pro samples is included to get you going." That is what is says on the AKAI website and is what I have. It's all stock. I recorded the sample in stereo and it's about 32 seconds I believe. I was able to save the full 32 sec under a program 1 with sample 1. If I bought this from amazon would I be good? - http://www.amazon.com/EXM128-Compact-Memory-MPC1000-MPC2500/dp/B00KPJQFKU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427909351&sr=8-3&keywords=Akai+mpc+128ram

Haha why would they sell a product with stock memory that can't hold anything. It keeps making me think I'm missing something?

No, you aren't missing anything. 16mb is quite enough for lots of things. 68secs of stereo sound is a lot more than what the early samplers had. Besides, it is most likely a marketing strategy related thing. My 2000XL came with 2mb which I immediately maxed to 32mb.

Last edited:
Is the a way to clear the internal data or to extract it to an area that may have more space to hold the chops?

Well, for one thing, MPC could be used by some band's drummer/percussionist for some different type of sounds. Using it for drums would not require a lot of memory. And a lot of beats can be done with less than 16mb. I rarely require that much, people are in general just used to a different kind of workflow due to not having to work with limited sample time these days. You just got to figure out what you are going to use from the sample and sample only those parts in to your MPC, or delete all unnecessary parts first. For now, I would suggest doing what I mentioned previously though if you don't want to wait for the memory expansion. Pitch up your sample before loading it in to your MPC. Pitching it up will make it shorter. Then you'd just pitch it down in your MPC to get it back to normal. Anyways, getting the memory expansion will rid you of all your woes.

Are you loading the Akai's soundbank card when you boot the machine? It may be that you are loading their demo track and the sounds from that to your memory as well.. If you have any extra sounds/programs loaded you didn't load yourself just remove the card and reboot.

Also my bad again....it says insufficient memory, not data. Idk wtf I was thinking. Anyway...should I still go with the higher internal memory upgrade to save me.

So I started to rexored on mono and its allowing me to extract now. Its great but how much quality is lost if by not recording in stereo instead? Personally I cant hear a difference but many producers may so I lm curious. Thanks yall.

Back