I want to produce jazz based hip hop, what sampler should I get?

slayerpianoman

Hi! So I'm just starting out and my desire is to become a producer who makes music similar to Nujabes or Dj Premier, where it's mainly jazz based samples and chill nostalgic beats. I would love some solid good sounding boom bap beats and warm analogue sounding drums and samples. The key is the warmth for me :P I have an SP 404, but the sound is too heavy for me, it's like it's too digital to feel good to my ear. I want my drums to sound punchy like a sp 1200 or older sampler, and I want the general tone of my work to be warm like analogue instead of harsh like the 404. I'm way too poor to buy a 1200, but would something like the 303 or an older mpc do the trick? I can't seem to find enough evidence for anything lol some people say the 2000xl is a dream for hip hop production, some say it sucks compared to the 3000, I feel kind of lost, and I don't have enough money to invest in anything too expensive. Again, a good oldschool warm sound is key. I am aware of the power of computer software, I think I'm going to download FL studio, but I really dig hardware samplers. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

Looking to make jazz based hip hop, what sampler should I get?

Hi! So I'm just starting out and my desire is to become a producer who makes music similar to Nujabes or Dj Premier, where it's mainly jazz based samples and chill nostalgic beats. I would love some solid good sounding boom bap beats and warm analogue sounding drums and samples. The key is the warmth for me :P I have an SP 404, but the sound is too heavy for me, it's like it's too digital to feel good to my ear. I want my drums to sound punchy like a sp 1200 or older sampler, and I want the general tone of my work to be warm like analogue instead of harsh like the 404. I'm way too poor to buy a 1200, but would something like the 303 or an older mpc do the trick? I can't seem to find enough evidence for anything lol some people say the 2000xl is a dream for hip hop production, some say it sucks compared to the 3000, I feel kind of lost, and I don't have enough money to invest in anything too expensive. Again, a good oldschool warm sound is key. I am aware of the power of computer software, I think I'm going to download FL studio, but I really dig hardware samplers. Any thoughts? Thanks so much!

It's more than just the sampler though.
You might want to use a low pass filter on the sample(s) or even convert to 8 bit.

Peace

any of the classic samplers
but I suggest FL studio and Akai MPD24
run you the total of $300-$500 depending on what version of FL Studio you get(but if you do decide to go with FL Studio make sure you get the lifetime free upgrade option)

-Coach Antonio

any of the classic samplers
but I suggest FL studio and Akai MPD24
run you the total of $300-$500 depending on what version of FL Studio you get(but if you do decide to go with FL Studio make sure you get the lifetime free upgrade option)

-Coach Antonio
For that price though you would be almost at Maschine which imo for the sample based producer is a much better buy than either. Hell you could find a used MK 1 maschine for $300 which works with all of the new stuff out there and has a ton of high quality drum sounds stock.

Before I even begin to go further, i'd have to know you understood that "punchy/warm" sound you speak of can be accomplished on a computer as easily as it can on Digital hardware like MPC 2kxls.

But I'd suggest looking into software and a controller if you're just starting. You'd be limiting yourself alot going the hardware route in 2013.

The sp404 is great for what you want. Now I don't own one, but I have heard enough great stuff from 404's to know they are not your problem.
Spend more time with it, and start making bangers!
I have owned a mpc2000, mpc500, s900, and Zoom sampletrak. Also my old computer has a Echo Mia installed.
In every case I needed great samples to make anything sound good.
Find some punchy drums, and load them into your sp404. Sample in some jazz, chop, and sequence.
With the right samples you will be making exactly what you want with what you have.

Yes, it's not about the sampler, it's about the samples. Sure some of the older gear has a bit warmer sound, but if your samples and drums aren't good to begin with, it makes no difference.

re

while it can be done in anything to some degree, there are some specific sounding samplers that help define that style. Akai s950s/900s, mpc 60s, emu emax/1200, early ensoniqs, etc. Some of those are still cheap. My opinion is if you are really looking for some type of sound you should go to the source. Though, I would say do that after you get your feet wet with some FL or something easy just to be sure that this is what you want to do.

a sp-404 should be straight to start with but you'll need a record player with pitch control or tune down in software (you can do this in a free program called audacity or any other music software) because a lot of jazz is too fast and you simply can't slow things down (pitch shift or time stretch) with the 404. and use the vinyl sim on the 404 for more warmth. actual vinyl also sounds warmer than digital music.

Back