I have a chance to get either an MPC 1000 or 2000xl. Both are the same price though..

EYK

I'm really struggling at the moment to figure out if I should buy an MPC 1000 with the hard drive kit and an 80GB hard drive, new version pads (not faulty) and JJOS w/ 128MB ram.

Or if I should just get a 2000XL with floppy drive and a scsi cd rom drive.

They're both going for $550 and I am having trouble finding solid arguments as to why I should purchase one over the other. I'm a bit concerned with the 2000XL being older. I'm worried that some of the parts might break on it or the pad sensors might give out. What are your thoughts on the durability/reliability of buying a used 2000XL? What are common parts that go bad?

I have also read that sound wise there is something better about the 2000XL. Although many individuals dispute that claim and say that the difference is so nominal. I'm not sure what to believe. It seems like a bunch of die hard 2000xl fans and a bunch of 1000 fans.

I will say that 2000's are pretty reliable. The screen might go out, but other stuff tends to work well as long as it's been taken care of. Personally I'd suggest the 1000. The hard drive and usb connectivity make it a lot easier to use.

I will say that 2000's are pretty reliable. The screen might go out, but other stuff tends to work well as long as it's been taken care of. Personally I'd suggest the 1000. The hard drive and usb connectivity make it a lot easier to use.

This......

re

it doesnt really matter either way. Though i would look at the 2000 screen and at the 1000 pads and she which of those is more ****ed up.

I have a 2000XL and if had to do it all over again... I'd get the "black" MPC1000. Even though my 2KXL has maxed out 32MB of memory, 8-out card, black pads, a SCSI card reader and I installed an internal 9GB HD, the black 1000 has the better pad sensors and for the 1000 you can purchase the JJOS which is SICK!!!!! I mean, I love my 2KXL to death ever since I bought it in 2000, but I'm just waiting on the day my screen starts fkng up (touch wood) and I will cry like a lil beeyotch.

Get the 1000.

Last edited:
I have a 2000XL and if had to do it all over again... I'd get the "black" MPC1000. Even though my 2KXL has maxed out 32MB of memory, 8-out card, black pads, a SCSI card reader and I installed an internal 9GB HD, the black 1000 has the better pad sensors and for the 1000 you can purchase the JJOS which is SICK!!!!! I mean, I love my 2KXL to death ever since I bought it in 2000, but I'm just waiting on the day my screen starts fkng up (touch wood) and I will cry like a lil beeyotch.

Get the 1000.

The whole time I owned my 1000 I wished I would have waited and got the 2500. It's really the perfect MPC, especially with the JJOS.

This is something I am thinking about too...

The one question I have is the article posted by Mannas says the mpc1000 has "No MTC sync" Does this mean it wont send sync or wont receive sync? Or does it just ignore all other equipment?

it means it wont sync to MTC it will still sync to midi to control other gear. in most setups mpcs are the center of the setup it would be stupid for it to ignore other gear

USB is the selling point in my opinion.
Scenario: On the road with your MPC1000, no records. find a computer, record from youtube, and start chopping.....

Now i understand there are some problems iwth the blue MPC1000's. If the pad upgrade has been done is there anything else to worry about?

Back