How to make an MPk49 Operate like and MPC

[FONT='Lucida Sans Unicode','sans-serif']Some of this is the very definition of Hype.[FONT

HYPE: exaggerated publicity; hoopla; an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify interest; a swindle, deception, or trick.<O:p></O:p>[/font]
The MPC has only been around for about half of the time that hiphop has. The S series was used a LOT more in early hiphop. Yet no-one says that you need an S series… Why? No hype. Indeed, the earliest hiphop had no samplers at all.<O:p></O:p>[/f
nt]
The hype that surrounds the MPC is that it ‘weight of history’ behind it. This is a deception (by Akai); there were plenty of CLASSIC hiphop tracks created without an MPC before the MPC existed.[/font]
[FONT='Lucida Sans Unicode','sans-serif']
The thing about hype is that it feeds itself. The more there is the more there is.[/font]

Last edited by a moderator:
FullSpectrum said:
There is so much wrong with this it almost hurts me to answer. A mpc is not essential to creating good hiphop at all so knock that rumor out now. ( same with pro tools ) Also no program + anything is a mpc except a mpc ...... period. A mpc is not a magical box that spits out great music. Can you use a mpk and a vsti to chop , transpose and build beats, sure. Pro tools is 1 option but it is not the only nor is it the best. Looks like you have ALOT of research to do before you spend a dime as you have your head filled with industry hype. What gear do you actually own for starter?

i completly agrree because therz people tht are completly trash with protools verss some people with flstudio the mosst basic program out there

why give this guy ahard time the answers you gave were rhetorical bull****

Griffin Avid said:
^^^ OUCH! That's why I bought Pro Tools. And you know what? I pointed to the Digi002 while I tracked their session on Adobe Audition 1.5.
When I opened my Humble, humble home studio and made little flyers- every phone call asked if I had Pro Tools. This was back when the MBox cost $500 and there was no M Audio tie-in.

The MPC 2000XL was actually a selling point too. Dudes didn't know how to track out their beats so I would load them up and dump. And they would use my unit to add additional stuff at the end.

I actually charged cats to come over and rock my gear. That ended with a few gear-abuse incidents. Blunt ashes inbetween the keys, missing property and broken knobs!
Lol same reason I bought Pro Tools!

Really though, an mpc, and protools, both work fine. I actually like the simplicity of both. But i feel what people are saying. People freak out on my asr 10 and give me much more credit than i deserve for the beats i make off it, just because it was of an asr 10. I don't know half the features still but i try, i get more respect from the gear than the music for sure when it comes to that heavy ass keyboard.

to answer the original poster's question, i think that an MPK49 coupled with Ableton Live 7 would give you the closest to MPC functionality.

First off, you guys were hard on that guy...he probably should have done more research but he probably does not know that he should have done more research...ignorance doesn't know that they are ignorant...as far as "closest to MPC functionality" I'd say anything with pads that triggers anything with sound...as long as there is little to no latency. To be honest my take on what makes an MPC desirable is the ease of use as far as getting creative ideas down quickly and having an intuitive format, the fact that there is zero latency and it's sound engine is unmatched; it has a natural reverb IMO. Other than these things, you can come close but you can't duplicate it. However, the whole reason I came to this thread was trying to figure out how to sync an MPC to PT. I don't even have an MPC right now but I like the ones I had in tyhe past and the music I made on them What I didn't like was the sequencers. I know they are easy to use but I prefer digital sequencing so I always wanted to sync it to PT once I got it.

BTW, anybody know how to configure a midi keyboard in PT so I can control the plug-ins?

Last edited:
3D Beats said:
Really though, an mpc, and protools, both work fine. I actually like the simplicity of both. But i feel what people are saying. People freak out on my asr 10 and give me much more credit than i deserve for the beats i make off it, just because it was of an asr 10. I don't know half the features still but i try, i get more respect from the gear than the music for sure when it comes to that heavy ass keyboard.

yea it's the same with me and my mpc-60

i have an mpk49 and reason 4.0. with these 2 you can do pretty much anything an mpc can (also needing reason recycle for the chopping of samples). i love the combination. tho note repeat is more well done on the mpc than the mpk. i cant sync the damn thing and keep it syncd

hey guys, i think ive found how to completely sync the mpk to reason. i cant send it now cus im in class, but will post it later on a new thread. heres a link

http://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41802&sid=36f9cf45e969c5544ae641eb63f3686c

one guy about a 1/3 the way down gives a couple links that he says fixed everything for him. hope hes not full of ****

the link didnt work. ill get it to yallhttp://www.bigbluelounge.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41802&sid=36f9cf45e969c5544ae641eb63f3686c

Last edited:
The device does not dictate a person's talent...I wonder if 9th Wonder--an EXCELLENT sampling producer--knows how tou use an MPC.

BTW, google "Just Blaze's MPC rant"

Last edited:
Pitch on pads

i just bought my mpk49 a couple hours ago brand new. I had the MPC 2000XL for 3 yrs. I use Logic Pro 9 now. I love this sh*t!!! One question though... can anyone show me how I can make the pads change the pitch of let's say a snare and spread through the pads to create crazy drum rolls? Thank you in advance!! FJ

lol that's excatly my point, the 12 level button on the MPK49 just does velocity, not pitch, also... I NEED to know how to sync the note repeat and arp ASAP please!!!

Back