How Do You Link Up A Mpc With A Keyboard/synth?

TBK DA FUTURE

im thinking about buying a mpc 1000 and a roland fantom x6. how do i record the fantom sounds into the mpc? do i need any extra equipment?

U want to use the fantom sounds to sequence in the MP correct? MIDI ! Ur going to need some MIDI cables. MIDI allows machines to send data back an forth

The way I have always used the MPC with external keyboards is by having the midi in and out hooked up between both machines, the audio out of my keyboards and mpc into my mixer, the subouts of my mixer into the sample in of my MPC, and assigning the keyboard (and any additional devices) to that subout. Using the mixer lets me repatch connections without having to manually plug them in differently. My MPC can then record the midi sequences and then play them back to the synthesizer while sampling the audio, allowing me to easily bounce down my midi sequences into audio and allowing me to keep both.

Kojak said:
The way I have always used the MPC with external keyboards is by having the midi in and out hooked up between both machines, the audio out of my keyboards and mpc into my mixer, the subouts of my mixer into the sample in of my MPC, and assigning the keyboard (and any additional devices) to that subout. Using the mixer lets me repatch connections without having to manually plug them in differently. My MPC can then record the midi sequences and then play them back to the synthesizer while sampling the audio, allowing me to easily bounce down my midi sequences into audio and allowing me to keep both.

How do I sample the audio of the MIDI sequences?

^Do you want the audio from the songs in the mpc or do u want to sequence them and then record them to the computer or audio tracker ect

thats a weird way of doing things but u just gotta record the outputs from the keyboard to the inputs of the mpc

Kojak said:
Kojak, what MPC are/were you using? I know with the 2500 and the 5000, it has a Input Thru feature that lets you route audio through the MPC's outputs without being in Sample mode and also record input audio directly to a track (from what a 2500 user told me), but is your method possible on a 2000XL or 1000, since you have to be in Sample mode to route audio through the MPC and you can play a sequence while doing this? Just curious.

Kojak, what MPC are/were you using? I know with the 2500 and the 5000, it has a Input Thru feature that lets you route audio through the MPC's outputs without being in Sample mode and also record input audio directly to a track (from what a 2500 user told me), but is your method possible on a 2000XL or 1000, since you have to be in Sample mode to route audio through the MPC and you can play a sequence while doing this? Just curious.

I use a 2500 now, but I used to use a 2000XL, it works in both. You just need to record the incoming audio while still outputing midi. All the "Input Thru" does is cause the audio inputs to be rerouted to the audio outputs. If you have a mixer with a sub-mix, you don't need to use this.

Damn, no "dansgold" in this thread?

I'm sure he would have said something about your mothers being worthless for giving life to children that don't know anything about MIDI.

Consider yourselves lucky that he spared you from his b*llsh*t.

His mom should have swallowed him for not knowing anything about midi. If my kids grow up to be 3 and not know anything about midi I will beat them with midi cables. Your parents should have done the same thing.

I Kid I kid

Last edited:
Kojak said:
I use a 2500 now, but I used to use a 2000XL, it works in both. You just need to record the incoming audio while still outputing midi. All the "Input Thru" does is cause the audio inputs to be rerouted to the audio outputs. If you have a mixer with a sub-mix, you don't need to use this.
Yeah. That makes sense and that's the way I would have done it. But in your original post, maybe I read it wrong, you said that you record everything into the MPC from the submix of the mixer, right? With the 2000XL, how is this possible, as you can't record audio from the main screen and can't play a MIDI sequence from the Sample screen, which is, as far as I know, the only way to record audio on the 2000XL?

lvngdead said:
Damn, no "dansgold" in this thread?

I'm sure he would have said something about your mothers being worthless for giving life to children that don't know anything about MIDI.

Consider yourselves lucky that he spared you from his b*llsh*t.

Xabiton said:
His mom should have swallowed him for not knowing anything about midi. If my kids grow up to be 3 and not know anything about midi I will beat them with midi cables. Your parents should have done the same thing.

FUNNY!!

Last edited:
Back