How do you integrate vintage gear into your current set up?

BayaniMusic

Producer/Song Writer
I just bought an ASR X from Ebay. In today's world a lot is done in the box. I was wondering how you all integrate vintage machines such as the ASR X in your current set up and work flow?

I have a mac mini running Pro Tools 10, Komplete 8, Maschine, Roland Fantom-S, Korg R3 and record player feeding into my audio interface Liquid Saffire pro.

I find myself just using the ASR X as a filter and chopping in Maschine. I also run my Keyboard outputs through ASR X.

I integrate a lot of my hardware by using Cubase MIDI device panels which allow me to edit a lot of parameters on screen in a similar fashion to a VST....hardware samplers are a bit tricky because although they can usually be manipulated via MIDI this doesn't extend to editing samples....it is sometimes possible to edit and transfer samples using a computer but it often relies on using legacy software and SCSI hardware....something which is a slight pain in the ass to set up on a new PC and basically impossible to do on a Mac.

I don't really have a lot of actual "vintage" stuff, but do have a bunch of hardware modules and effects. A dedicated MIDI interface for the synths; a MIDI to DIN sync converter for my 606; lots of i/o on the audio interface (8 in & out on a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 & an additional 8 from a Behringer ADA8000 via ADAT). A reamp box for easier use of guitar stomp boxes as "regular" external fx, and that's about it. Using Ableton & its external instrument/effect plugins to route everything to the DAW. I usually do most of the "automation" real-time & hands-on instead of MIDI, triggering patterns from an APC40 and twisting dem knobs manually as I go.

Back