how to become familliar with basic's-a4000?

K

karlo

I bought a4000. Because it's my first sampler, I don't know how to start sequencing with cubase. I'm not new in cubase, and midi (it woks good with my korg n364).

how to learn basics, if A4000's manual explain every button on panel, but they didn't explain how to set up less two sample and how to organise them to make song? Differences with multi, single mode, setting midi chanells in smp, smp bnk, prg? the word "song" doesn't egsist in manual. :))
I have too many questions, plase can anyone give me some www links about a4000's basics (play-mode)?
thanks

A lot of people talk about how the a4000 is hard to learn...it is my first sampler but I learned it in about 2 days...you asked a lot of questions so I'll just answer a couple of em...

programs contain samples and/or sample banks. sample banks contain samples. disk volumes contain programs. your hard disk can contain multiple volumes. For each song that you're working on, you should create a different program. actually what I do is create a different disk volume for each song that I'm working on, that way you only have to deal with the samples that you need, not all the samples on the machine.

unfortunately, I couldn't find too much on the web as far as a4000 info, the main reference was http://www.a3kcentral.com, which is now shut down. my advice to you would be to grab the demo disks, load any disk besides disk 1, and check out how everything is set up. go to edit->map/out and edit->midi to see how samples are linked to midi channels and outputs, etc.

if you have any questions email me. ggoodwin37@hotmail.com

good luck

slow scsi

What's Up
While testing out a friends A4000 I found the A4000 has very good filters, cool processing tools and interesting effects. However, no matter how good these features are, they are undermined by one big flaw. I mean excruciatingly slow SCSI and IDE transfer. A 4MB file took me over 2 minutes to load and It took me better than 6 minutes to save a 16MB (native A series)file using either IDE or SCSI with the A4000. Yamaha should also do a better job documenting which hard drives work with the A4000 because the first two hard drives my friend tried did not work.
Since the A4000 like many dedicated samplers has no onboard sounds, it's usefulness is based in part on how quickly it can load and save sound files. The A4000's extremely slow SCSI and IDE transfer rates makes the loading and saving of sound files a far too time consuming and arduous task for it to be useful. It's a shame because the Yamaha A series do offer a great feature set at a relatively low price.
So my question in end is, is there some particular way of loading or saving files with the unit? Because of the feedback I have heard and posts on the net, it seems to be a flaw on Yamaha's behalf and not some mistake I am making in how I use the sampler. So, I am left wondering and continue in my search for my perfect sampler.
Late......

in a way, it does have onboard sounds
it has yamaha's AWM synthesis or something.. less i forget!
you can use sinewav and a couple others i think

if you find out what harddrives work well with the a3/4/5k
lemme know!

Back