help me out On either a s900 or s3000xl sampler.

dmajor100

Ive been hip to thr software samplin for some time and did have a mpc 3000 for a while but traded it for a 4000. Im still learning the 4000 but a part of me still wants That vintage Sound and to get my drums gritty while i sample hi fi loops in my 4k. Im seeing both s900 and a s3000xl for 159 On ebay and wondering which would best suit me. Or should i just spend 200 On a s950 and be done with it?

s900 hundred my nigg trust i had an s900 and iff u cop 1 u best treasure it the sound out that beeyatch is lo fi and is limited when it comes to sample time iff u want that clean analog i suggeast doin ur research and dont jus buy cause its an impulse buy do ur research if u want lofi gritty get it otherwise it'll be kickn up dust ' trust fam its a phase everythin now and days is clean an if u like gritty get it ,, but thee only pain is tranferen ur samples namen them and that whole ordeal' but from experience u get bored wit it after a while i personally like flowing gwit my ideas so i tend to use ans only use fl studio but thats another thread ' like a wise man said iff it isnt broke dont fix it ''

Last edited:
If you can pick up an S900 locally you should go for it because they are quite heavy and you will also want to make sure it works (be sure to power it on at least twice when testing) because they are like 20+ years old. Because you can boot the S900 with OS 4 from floppy there is not much advantage to having an S950 unless you can find one that has already been fitted with expansion options (most of the expansion options are rare and expensive often costing more than the sampler itself).

The only thing ill be using either unit for is to phatten up my most favorite drum sounds. So i know i wont be using it all the time unless i know a track could use those kinda drum sounds

Thats what im thinking about doing and besides from sampling my fav drums or breaks in i dnt think it should be That time consumin. In almost every pro studio ive seen On youtube they have one in the back so im sure its a handy tool. Just hope i can find more floppys to store On cause there Going exstinct and are not That cheap.

re

4000 and 900/950 is a very nice combo sonically and workflow wise. I dont own s3000 but id choose the 900 even if its slightly harder to use (older). I bought a bunch of floppy lots on ebay and Im cool. you can just run a signal through a 900 and distort it a bit and use it as a send effect also.

Ebayhas a 3000xl which I have a bid on for 150 and a guy localy I selling a 950 for 275. Im.thinkin about both what do ya think?

okay i just purchased the s3000xl for a dam good price $140 and still thinking about getting this s950. Do y'all think it would be best to use each unit for certain drums like the s950 from drums and use the s3000xl for percussive stuff. Im actually planning on using a motu midi express and plan to do a hybrid system so this akai samplers would act as sound modules to my daw and record there midi in so i can play with it. Im really gonna have to learn these machines or I'm gonna end up just getting frustrated and selling them.

---------- Post added 11-06-2012 at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-30-2012 at 01:24 PM ----------

update on my purchase of the s3000xl. This machine looks cool but there is no significant sound difference between this and my battery 3 drums. I sampled drums from battery 3 into the s3000xl and then played both units to A/B them and there was no difference in punch nor warmth or any of that. So i guess ill be selling this unit the very moment i get a offer and then ill be getting the s950.

Back