hard disk for sampler

skydestruct

I have AKAI S3200XL. Now I keep hanging myself up with the question where to store my samples outside the AKAI. I tried ZIP, its not too cool. How about other devices like HD`s? What`s good/bad and why?

My Sampler got a SCSI port. I heard about USB and Firewire. Would it make sense to get a firewire port for it? What can I connect to it then? External HD with Firewire port?

Thanks

skydestruct,

Firewire is kind of an alternative to SCSI, but as you have a SCSI connection on you Akai I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't be able to use Firewire (not without some very serious re-jigging of your sampler!) (Same applies to USB, by the way).

You could get an external SCSI hard drive, but what problem are you having with your Zip drive? I use one on my Emu and friends of mine use them with the set-up you mention and they work fine. If you want more capacity you could go for a Jaz drive instead. Tell me what problem you're having.

:cheers:
KasioRoks

Hmm, AKAI samplers seem to have problems with ZIP drives once in a while. Mine just didnt work together, didnt wanna save, error messages all over.

I know that the S5000 and S6000 series have USB ports instead of SCSI. That made me suggest, as USB is less speedy than SCSI, that someday they will all have Firewire ports and Sample-loading will be waaaaaay faster.

In the meantime I`ve already decided to get a SCSI HD and do it this way. I think it takes the least time to load stuff cuz the HD is faster than anything else (???)

My dream would be to just connect the AKAI with my MAC via Firewire and use the mac as HD. I use MESA anyway, and I hate SCSI for the ****ty fragile cables it uses.

Mine just didnt work together, didnt wanna save, error messages all over.

that's wierd. You got the latest OS and everything? (Judging from your ideal kit config I'll bet you have). Just a long shot, but have you tried a different cable? It sounds like you're already sold on a hard drive, but given that you can only load up, what 32Meg of samples at any time that seems extravagant. As for the cables, blame Iomega and Akai, they seem to think that those cack 25 pin plugs are good enough - there are some well chunky 50pin plug cables out there.

Just had a really bad thought: what if it's not the drive that's the problem, but your scsi interface on your sampler? Then you'll buy a HD and still have the same problems. Any way you can try one out before shelling out the cash?

KasioRoks.

no, no.
Its not a cable thing. I had a removable media called Syquest 270MB as Hard Disk before, and it worked fine, and I have an extern CD-R for the Sampler and that works, too. Also I was forced to learn all about SCSI, so now being an expert in SCSI, I concluded that SCSI sucks:), but it`s just the ZIP thats making trouble. I have a SCSI HD laying around here anyway, so I bought a SCSI HD BOX to get it connected.

Yes, I have OS 2.0 for S3000XL, thats not it. Maby its just a broken ZIP

Back