Flipping software based studio to hardware(mpc, workstation?)

ChingyDi

Hey

I'm thinking of flipping my bedroom studio to more hardware and use software less and need some advice on things. So i am a rapper and producer, and would like to start making my beats on an mpc. I really don't like software in the way that i sit in front of the screen for hours, and how my mac runs slow when i use all the plugins i need and things like that in logic. Would really like to be able to sit wiht my mpc, midi keyboard/workstation if i get one(wrote about workstation farther down) and my turntable if im sampling and make beats without needing to look at a big screen for hours. The thought of also sampling straight straight into the mpc, and chopping it in there(read that its kinda...... to chop in the mpc?), or in a workstation as i have seen on youtube(for example that kanye video) and just rock with it.

My current set up:
Steinberg Cl1 soundcard
Krk RP5 monitors
Blue Spark mic
m-audio keyrig midi keyboard
Akai MPD26 (never used it so much because i didn't like the pads so much so used the midi keyboard mostly, been thinking about selling it and putting that money into the mpc if i get one)
Beyer dynamics DT 770 Pro headphones
Numark TTUSB for sampling vinyl

The software i use now is Logic Pro and Recycle for chopping my samples.

So i have been making music for like a year now, not so long but ever since i started i noticed that i really don't like sitting in front of the screen all day making beats. My eyesight has become weaker and my mom is saying i should get some equipment that doesn't make me sit in front of the big screen all day.This doesn't mean i won't use software, will use while recording.

Ever since i started making music i wanted an mpc but at that point i didn't have the money for it. So now i am thinking of getting one and probably some other hardware i would need?

I have been reading alot about the different mpc's, and think maybe the 1k will do the thing? People at the forums i've been reading on are saying the 1k/2kxl are good ones to have and then get the jj os. I really haven't understood whats so good about the jj os, been looking through the comparison thing but don't really know what many of those things on that list is so cannot really understand what makes it so good, tried as well to find posts and whatever on the internet where someone explains it but didn't find so much. So it had been nice if someone could explain that? Also which other mpc's could i look more into?

Will the use of a workstation, the asr-10 or something in the likes of it be something that i would benefit alot from getting? And if i in the end decide to get one i'll probably get one used on ebay.

How is it to mix on a mpc? Or will i be better off transfering the beat to logic and mixing it there? I would like to use logic as little as possible, but will use it to record my raps to the beats i make.

Sorry for the long post, but i believe i need to get as much information i need so that i don't make a decision i would not be satisfied with.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

ChingyDi

The good thing about secondhand hardware is if you don't like it you can usually sell it for what you paid and get your money back.

Hardware and Software each have their strengths and weaknesses. I suggest you go to guitar center if there is one near by and try making some tracks on a fantom, motif, korg m3, etc and see if you like the sounds and workflow. As far as staring at the screen, you can get a controller with all the pads. transport controls, knobs, etc and get a more hands on feel. The mpc route is cool also, if that is what you want to do. A lot of people have started to go away from them, but there are still those that do use them.

I personally use all hardware and just record to cubase and it works for me, but you have to do what is right for you. I would suggest trying out a MPC, workstation, and even Native Instruments Maschine in Guitar Center first before switching up.

The good thing about secondhand hardware is if you don't like it you can usually sell it for what you paid and get your money back.

Yeah thats true, thanks for the advoce, appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

Hardware and Software each have their strengths and weaknesses. I suggest you go to guitar center if there is one near by and try making some tracks on a fantom, motif, korg m3, etc and see if you like the sounds and workflow. As far as staring at the screen, you can get a controller with all the pads. transport controls, knobs, etc and get a more hands on feel. The mpc route is cool also, if that is what you want to do. A lot of people have started to go away from them, but there are still those that do use them.

I personally use all hardware and just record to cubase and it works for me, but you have to do what is right for you. I would suggest trying out a MPC, workstation, and even Native Instruments Maschine in Guitar Center first before switching up.

I have actually tried the maschine some times but i didn't feel that awesomeness that people talk of it, maybe i didn't use it enough. The guy who owns it took me through the nice things he felt was so good about it but i really didn't like it when i in the end have to load up alpt of plugins and things in the software. The way one chops samples in it was cool though, but not a good enough reason for me to get it.

I will head to the guitarcenter today and see if the have some workstations(dunno about the guitarcenter her, on vacation) and mpc's and try them out.

What hardware do you use?

Thanks for reply and advice, appreciate it!

Yeah thats true, thanks for the advoce, appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 09:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

I have actually tried the maschine some times but i didn't feel that awesomeness that people talk of it, maybe i didn't use it enough. The guy who owns it took me through the nice things he felt was so good about it but i really didn't like it when i in the end have to load up alpt of plugins and things in the software. The way one chops samples in it was cool though, but not a good enough reason for me to get it.

I will head to the guitarcenter today and see if the have some workstations(dunno about the guitarcenter her, on vacation) and mpc's and try them out.

What hardware do you use?

Thanks for reply and advice, appreciate it!

I mainly now use a MPC, Motif, and Fantom, with some other pieces also.

Hey ChingyDi, I have been searching everywhere online as I'm kinda new to audio production but I found your thread and noticed you have the Steinberg Cl-1 and the M-Audio Keyrig 49. I just purchased the Keyrig and I'm working on adding that to my setup with the Cl-1 to use with Sonar X1 Essential recording software. I was wondering how exactly you set these two items up to communicate with each other. Upon installation I let the Keyrig choose the Steinberg/vstplugins folder etc. I'm pretty sure the keyrig is having trouble installing already but if/when I get it installed successfully is there anything specific you do so that they will read each other, as well as through the Sonar application? Any info on this topic would be awesome. Thanks.

Back