Finding the spark to work

d-rock07

do you cats that work with an mp find that its easier to sit down and put in work than compared to say a computer? i just cant seem to put in work and really practice on my craft on a computer. i have an mpd too but it still just dont inspire me to work and its not very fun making music on a computer when i work on one all day long. i been lookin into grabbin an XL and just wondering how the fun aspect and spark is with using one. i know that gettin an mp isnt gonna make my music turn to fire all of a sudden and thats not what im looking for. im just lookin for something fun to work with as an alternative to a computer and if its worth it to grab one

I hate computers too. i got the same problem, on them all day. It works good for writing but for producing I never liked it. a 2000XL is so outdated though, if your gonna spend money on a MPC ignore the old hype and at least get a 2500. If I had the money for a new Motif I would just get something like that personally. MPC is cool if you got all the gear; I like Maschine though, but it does use a computer; kinda.

Ya the only thing is the 2500 goes for quite a bit of coin bro even the used ones. And the XL ain't that outdated it does everything I would need

What inspires me is playing records over my drums.
I start a drum track on the MPC5k then I play records over my drums starting and stopping the records at different parts.
I find it gives me a quicker idea of what I want to sample and chop.
That was my original workflow on the Asr10 in the 90s and have adopted and upgraded it as of lately again with the Mpc5k.

What inspires me is playing records over my drums.
I start a drum track on the MPC5k then I play records over my drums starting and stopping the records at different parts.
I find it gives me a quicker idea of what I want to sample and chop.
That was my original workflow on the Asr10 in the 90s and have adopted and upgraded it as of lately again with the Mpc5k.

i really like this idea. i think i might try this. sample a drum break into my computer, or create my own, and let that loop and just play some records over the top of this. maybe even do some scratches even though i dont have a dj mixer i can still kinda make a few things happen

In 2011 it's almost inevitable that at some point in your beat making process you're going to have to use a computer. Try making your beats in a room dedicated solely to that purpose, and it should switch the mindset. You may also want to invest in a cheap keyboard, so you can lay down your ideas on them, so you are ready to simply copy them over when you record. Also, hook up an external synth or drum pad as a MIDI slave to Logic or whatever, and move it far away from the screen. It does help to have another person in the room, so one can be soley focused on creating, while the other can be clicking away.

Last edited:
Back