EPS-16+ vs. EPS-16+ Turbo

brightscreamer

What the hell is the difference?

Also, if I buy an EPS-16+ with 1 Meg of RAM, where can I buy the other Meg? Help!

Last edited:
I dont know if there actually is such thing as 16 turbo... I think thats some ish some1 made up to help sell off their old gear :) Ebay or craigslist is your best bet to find the memory expander. You can expand it by 2x or 4x.

So....

There is a stock fully expanded 16-Plus that is indeed called the 'turbo'. They have a sticker which identifies them from the standard models. The RAM is 4mb total (4000 'blocks' or whatever). Sticker is usually located near the stop/rec./play buttons. Additional features are a 'flash' bank for quick loading storage of soundbanks and built-in SCSI port for external storage. The expander is called the OEX-6SR.

If you are looking for one, I recommend getting the model I mentioned above which is compatible with both the 16-Plus as well as the ASR-10 if you wanted to 'upgrade' to another Ensoniq. If you really don't need 8-outs for tracking or live use, the expander is not necessary. And if you can't find one for under $200 which may be hard due to limited availability, you may be better off getting a rack mount sampler you could control with the 16-Plus. More sample time, diff. sound texture for your arsenal and 8 outputs of a more solid build. Some may disagree, but I've never been a fan of the OEX-6SR because it connects to the machine via a skinny cable externally. MPC's and most other outboard has their output expansion 'hard-wired' to the machine not external. The rack mount thing is just another option really.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, people. This should make my hunting go much smoother. Although, I gotta say...they are going for far too much on eBay. I may just buy another ASR-10 (I sold mine when I was in a bind a while back).

I personally saw and operated the 16 plus turbo. It looked like the regular only the instrument select buttons were dual bank function. You could stack twice as many samples.

Back