which ENSONIQ should i buy ?

Vhz

i always wanted an ensoniq, cuz i heard how great their sequencers are...
but recently i watched few ensoniq vids on youtube, i decided to buy one asap ,

but i'm not sure which one to get

it difinetly won't be any ASR or MR/ZR...

i really liked ts-10/12, sd-1, vfx, etc....

which one has best/most sounds ?

i wouldnt say their sequencers are great.... but if they float your boat :)

Read some sonic state or harmony central reviews - that will give you the perspective you need.

Have an ASRx and its a head**** to get round the sequencer

Hmmm...

Well...the Ensoniq sequencer is def. pretty flexible...step editing, quantizing options, etc..but it is certainly not the most stable. Especially in the EPS, 16+ and ASR-10 joints. If you roll with the TS-10..it may work a little better because it does not perform any sampling functions whatsoever...other than playing back compatible files (samples) from the classic Ensoniq samplers. My biggest issue with the Ensoniq joints is polyphony and DSP power. The more you have going on in a sequence or song...the less stable the sequencer becomes. And if you plan on playing notes and chords AND sampling, etc..there are much better options such as the Triton or Motif series.

An example would be in the 16+ you actually have to pick quality vs. voice polyphony. If you pick 44k vs. 30k you can actually hear the sequencer cutting out notes, etc. Same with running FX...the more you tax the sound engine and sequencer the worse it performs. Hope I ain't lose yall..heh heh. Oh yeah...one more thing..I really can't say I've heard great things about Ensoniq synths far as presets and all that go. Get an OBXa instead..heh heh..J/P...

I'm currently leaning more towards SD-1...

it's sort of a lighter version of TS-10/12 (which as i know were used very heavily in music Production, in fact i know people that still use Ensoniq's sequencer rather than Software seq. [not me, but some people])...

I like MR series functions a lot, (but i don't wanna spend much money,i don't really like it's look), the idea pad, and all those song tools....

Last edited:
My first synthesizer was an Ensoniq. I makes me remember my old high school days:rolleyes: . I had a ESQ 1, it had such a clear sound...

the TS 10 and TS 12 models are great digital workstations. The TS 10 cannot sample, but it can play samples, and create sample maps all over the keyboard, one per key. Something really rare on a 80ies workstation....

Back