Ensoniq Eps 16 Plus

dspade

Okay I just recently purchased an Ensoniq EPS 16 Plus Sampling Keyboard and I'm confused to say the least. First, it's not turning on. Do I need to have a floppy disk to turn it on? If I do need one I need link to a website I can buy it from and if anyone knows anything thats required for it please post a link to a store I can buy it from. And I need to know how to load samples from my MacBook to my Ensoniq Keyboard.
Another problem is I have an MPC 500 also, and I want to be able to sync them together so I can sequence on the MPC 500 and do the drums, but use the samples on the EPS 16 Plus. Thanks for the help.

Yeah you will need floppies. If I were you, I would find some old computer you could use, load your samples on it, pick up a bunch of floppies, then load all your samples in WAV format. It sucks, but that's the pain of using vintage equipment like that. In order to sync the EPS to the MPC, you will need to use MIDI outs and in from the MPC to MIDI outs and in on the EPS, then tell the EPS to sync to the external clock (MPC). Then change the EPS to trigger from MIDI only. Then the MPC will record the notes you play on the EPS and play them back.

So there's no way to load samples using floppies and my MacBook? And I have a turntable, how do I get the records from my computer to a floppy disk?

You can buy a usb floppy drive and use that, of course you could also just plug things into the keyboard and sample the audio directly then save it on the floppies

Oh I get it now. So I plug the usb floppy drive into my MacBook, transfer the wave files ontop the floppy disk and insert the floppy disk to the keyboard right?

yeah, or you can do it the other way, record something on the keyboard, save it on the floppy, then back it up on your computer.

I dont know that much about the eps but i doubt it will read wav files. You might look around online because i suspect you would have to convert to another format first. I would just sample and save to disks og style.

yeah I am pretty sure they do not read wav files. I know my EPS classic does not but that may have changed with the 16. Either way congrats Id love to hear an update about if it worked or not

Floppy disk issue.

I, myself, just got an ensoniq eps 16 plus. It did not come with a floppy disk so I got one on ebay. After plugging it in the sampler said "insert disk" and when i did it said it was not formatted correctly. I'm not sure if its the drive or the disk...

I, myself, just got an ensoniq eps 16 plus. It did not come with a floppy disk so I got one on ebay. After plugging it in the sampler said "insert disk" and when i did it said it was not formatted correctly. I'm not sure if its the drive or the disk...

So you have an actual EPS16+ boot disk / operating system which ain't working?

This is my first time I've ever been into samplers before. I got it off of ebay so I think it's the disk and it has to be reformatted.

Back when I had the EPS16+, I'm pretty positive I just had the original OS disks. But you can buy them off eBay and some other sites - this one sells them for the majestic sum of $7 (no idea if it's reliable or not, though). I guess it's possible to just do it yourself as well but it seems that the EPSDisk utility program used for this only runs on older Windows versions.

See if you can find someone selling an EPS 16 on craigslist I see them all the time. Then ask the owner if he minded if you came and made a few OS disks because you bought one without the OS. Most people are cool and will say yeah sure. He might even help you learn the board.

Back