emu mp7 command station and zoom sampletrak

feelhim

I'm wanting to get back into making tracks mostly as a hobby. My style is mostly sample based with a little composition on top ex hi-tek. I got a deal where I can get the emu and the zoom for about $200. I want to do all my sample editing on the zoom and sequencing and triggering on the mp7. I plan on getting a microkorg and maybe a tr rack in the near future.Would this be a decent setup for what i want to achieve? I want to stay away from the computer as mush as possible as im on it enough at work so no fl studio etc. Thanks in advance

sampletrak is sick, makes drums sound nice, i just got mine but would recommend anyone get one if they can for what i paid (80). if that stuffs in good condition i'm seeing the mp-7 for 300 on ebay so you should at least be able to get you're money back, zooms go for 75-175 on ebay. but you'll have a lot of limitations with the zoom, look them up before buying.

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

never used an mp7 btw

---------- Post added at 07:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

the sampletrak is dope but it's not good for composition on top, it only has 24 pads, 60 seconds sample time on hi-grade. it's more of a boom bap machine for grimy beats with a bit of an sp1200 sound to it. you could compose on top if you speed up the playing and tune it down as the sample doesn't take up more time if you tune it down. i highly recommend it for 100 or whatever though. if you're looking for a cheap sampler don't be fooled by the mpc500, it sucks the fun out of music and its 400 more than you'll pay for a sampletrack. i have a 1000 and it's decent (don't like the workflow) but when i started i got a 500 and it's a hassle menu diving with a 2 line screen. also if you're looking into the boss/roland sps don't get a 202, get a 303 or 404 but they'll run you 100-200 more than the sampletrack. i've never tried maschine but the micro runs about 250 and would work for your purposes, i can't personally recommend it though as i've never tried it.

Last edited:
I would jump on it. The MP7 is worth more than that by itself. It is a great machine. I had one and like an idiot sold it when I was going through my gear whoring phase. Can't speak on the SampleTrak.

nice track@egokiller

I was in guitar center today and seen that they had the korg microsampler marked down to 179. They didnt have one hooked up so i couldnt try it out, but it seems to be lke a mini asr-10. anybody tried this?

ya the 303/404s a lot better than the sampletrak, similar but just all around better and you can get a used 303 for about 100 more which is completely worth it. the 404 has 12 voice polyphony over the 303/sampletraks 8 voice which is a huge advantage.

---------- Post added 10-18-2012 at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-27-2012 at 09:34 AM ----------

i take back the 303 being better than the sampletrack, no pitch or time stretch sucks and sampletrak has some dope ish like autosync and pitch to 8 pads. here's a better example of a sampletrak beat. Killa Ego - Sherm Party by Treezy Z aka Ego Killer on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free did this over the last couple days, the one i posted earlier in this thread was garbage.

Mpc500's are $250 on ebay now. I have one, and also a sampletrak.
The sampletrak is your choice if you want a sp12 type sound, but it is much more limited overall than a 500.
The zoom only responds to gated midi triggering. This means when you trigger a pad on your command station the sounds from the sampletrak only play for as long as your finger is on the pad.
You don't have this problem using the Zoom standalone though.
Sampling synth parts into your zoom would be more headache free.

If you need two pieces that play nice together with midi, I would opt for the 500.

Last edited:
I have a mp-7 and still use it occasionally for drums. It is actually a nice machine. I don't use mine as much these days as I sequence on a MPC 2500. You can lay down some nice stuff on the command stations. Some of the sampled sounds are a little dated, but you can program nice sounds in them.

Back