E-mu Lx-7 Or Pk-7

T

tonytech

I read that the lx-7 is the real thing if u have lots of midi gear to control. is this tru? and what is the better the lx-7 or the pk-7 and how do they compare? also some one said that they would trade there roland mc-909 for one. why can it realy be that good if you have one tell me how its going and if you gust know a thing or two about this give it and share you thoughs!

First of all, I think you mean the E-mu XL-7, not Lx-7. And compared to the PK-7, I am pretty sure they are the same unit but with a different sound ROM. The XL (X-Treme Lead) is suited for dance music. The PK-7 (Proteus Keys) is a more general ROM, which I believe has sounds that can suit any music style.

wysh is mostly correct.

Both the Xl-7 and PX-7 (as well as the MP-7) have exactly the same MIDI control capabilities, when running OS 2.0

The MP-7 comes with a hip-hop oriented ROM (Mo'Phatt)
The Xl-7 comes with a dance/trance oriented ROM (X-Lead)
The PX-7 comes with a "lots of drum kits and percussion" ROM. (Protean Drums)

Thats' the only difference besides the paint job.

You can add whatever additional ROMs to any of them. I have a MP-7, to which I have added a "Protean Drums" ROM, for instance.

There is no such thing as a lx-7 or pk7.

The Command Stations are MP-7, XL-7 and PX-7

The Keyboards are PK-6, MK-6, VK-6 and XL-6

Figure out what you want to talk about, and then some good advice can be had here.

These units are the real deal, less a dedicated sampler. I plan to buy the XL-7, and add the protien drums rom., using its sequencer to controll the sp303, as well as some software... you could spend about 500 with the right hook up, and get an Emu E-5000(sampler) for another 500 on ebay, xpandable to 80 gb of mem. and be set for a long while.

thankz for the help guyz: one more thing should i get a e-mu or a korg esx1. i plan to get them both but what would you get frist? or is it a waste of money to get both?

I have an MP-7, and plan on getting some ROMS next week. E-mu makes some stuff that sounds warm. The only thing I wish the MP-7 had was a sampler, but I guess if I would spend the extra $1000 for a sampler, it would not have been the MP-7.

Anyone know if the E-5000 is good for phrase sampling?

dansgold said:
E-mu ... all the way. No contest.

WORD.

Emu is making the things really, really good.

You better get the PK-7. Why?

They are the same machine, but I think you can't buy by separate the PK-7 drum sounds. but you can buy the XL 7 sound ROM. I suppose that's the reason for the higher price for the PK 7, a unique not-sold-by-separated ROM. Right?

but without the ROM expansion, the three command station are the same unit.

I have the XL 7 and the HALO. This is a totally different instrument to the other synths in the market.

Truly different from KORG, ROLAND or YAMAHA, the most popular synths. I spent a hard time re-adapting to the EMU concept. IMHO, is better.

I bought the EMU PK 6 because I thought I could use it as a sophisticated drum machine and sound module for my Kurzweil K2500s.Altho I love the sounds and like most of the pre-programmed beats, I can't seem to understand how to program my own beats. the short info about arp creation is confusing. The second purpose for the PK 6 was for creating sounds and then sampling them into the Kurzweil, still struggling with that but I've made more progress than being able to create my own beats and control them. I'm planning to now get the EMU PK 7 table top module hoping that will satisfy my need for a good drum machine and something to layer sounds with the PK 6 to get a fatter sound at least fat enough to let me leave the K2500s home because it's so heavy to carry around. Any suggestions to get the most out of this set up?

Back