Dont understand purpose for samplers!

K

Kato

What is the purpose for samplers? I have sampled some parts of songs but most of the time the parts i really want have drums in them and i cant use those. Also, i cant change the note of the samples without changeing the tempo as well. What are the reall uses of samplers?

"Not now Kato I'm busy"

Sorry crap Pink Panther gag.

Your first problem is that you can't break out individual parts from a mix - like if you want a vocal but not the backing you can't do it. Get used to it, that's just the way recorded music works (not totally, as you can mess around with eq/filters to get rid of some stuff, but it's not totally satisfactory). On the other hand, if you find a cool break that works as it is, then this is cool. For instance 'Loser' by Beck or 'Lately' by Massive Attack, or 'My Name Is' by Eminem or 'Lady' by Modjo, all built on breaks from other peoples tunes.

I don't know what sampler you've got, but loads of them have a 'timestretch/compression' feature on. This means that you can change the length of a sample without altering its pitch. It ain't perfect, but it's used all over the place.

I use an E-mu E5000 Ultra which I use for sampling loops, but also for playing actual instrument sounds. It's great, I lurrve it.

If you have a small phrase sampler I guess you need to get into looping breaks in order to make music. I remember when I were a nipper taking a Stevie Wonder break, looping it (actually retriggering it) and putting some sampled vox over the top. I liked it.

Hope this helps,
KasioRoks

samplers are useful... you dont just have to sample music with it.. you cna do ANYTHING you want... sample a bottle breaking on the floor or a frying pan, and build a whole drum kit with the chopped samples!

or better.. sample a piano playing each note separately, map the notes and you get a virtual piano.. etc...

But...

Is there any tool to filter for example the beat out???
or just the vocal???:confused:

if u mean something that can take the voice outa a track or a drumloop outa a tune,then the answer is no,u can get the half way close,but u can't steal the only drum loop outa ya fav tunes......unless u can get the master of that song ,but this is another story.... :)

Yea people often ask this question - and the answer is no.

(now im waiting for some clever git to post about some new piece of software that can do it. I'll bet my life on it that it can't.)

yeah sonic foundry said they want that person's cv asap if they have a plugin that strips out the vocals :rolleyes:

yeah yeah...

are there any master songs of house or vocals out there??? U know... just the instrumental part? :D

Get hunting down at your record shop. Labels do put out acappellas (vox only) and instrumentals, but you have to seek them out and you have to be lucky. Defected keep putting theirs out. All of Dre's labels stuff turns up with acappellas. Skint have done it occasionally.

Like I say just get looking.

KasioRoks.

Basement Jaxx:

Do they use a lot of samples??? You can here some...

basement jaxx has a 7 inch out containing the loops and sounds + the acappella of their last single

very limited circulation

Back