Do you still use an mpc?

i agree... the swing is overrated... all the new machines have swing... and just turning off quantize on certain trk recordings does alot for ur beats anyway.

da relic

The best tools you can ever have in the studio are your mind and your ears. MPC or PC or keyboard or pots and pans and a mic. It's all about acheiving your musical vision. Now, whatever makes you more comfortable, run with it. I used to use my MPC like there was no other tool. Now with more knowledge I use it when I feel like it. I love it but I don't abuse it. Just my opinion.

I still use my XL once in a while - it's fun to bang on those dusty pads every now and then but most of the time I just stick to my keyboards and software.

so basically you guys are saying theres no diff between having live7/mpd32 or live7/mpc1000jjos2 besides the fact that you can sequence with the mpc...everything else can be emulated within live7 correct???

MPC for life.....

Software compliments my MPC. and will never replace it. I am a button pusher not a mouse clicker...

Not really. You can do similar things with both, but it would cost me way more to have a computer work in the same way my MPC does. I'd need an 2x8 audio interface, 2x4 midi interface, a pad controller, a midi controller with transport controls and I could keep going, but it's impossible to get all of this, with a hard drive, cd burner, etc. etc. in a size smaller than a laptop.

Obitheincredible said:
Yes. Mpcs with the jjos are the same as live or fl or reason....

Sounds like you are making things up as you go along....

The JJ OS doesn't add anything "extra-ordinary" to an MPC. Live, FL, Reason does much more than an MPC. However, if you use the MPC to its fullest, you can produce the same end results..which is music.

An MPC and any DAW software is a good combo.

Were talking about the mythical mpc swing here. Not which has more features. The question was asked about a mpc with the jjos in particular. I was just answering the question.

Obitheincredible said:
Were talking about the mythical mpc swing here. Not which has more features. The question was asked about a mpc with the jjos in particular. I was just answering the question.

I simply stated a fact about MPCs with the JJ OS. Mythical MPC swing? Hardware and software alike have been trying to duplicate the MPC swing. It simply works....is easy to use and get great results

Actually...the topic was titled "Do you still use an MPC?". However, follow up questions where "Has anyone sold their mpc to move to software?" and "What do you think (about me buying an MPC)?"

1. Yes. I use an MPC.
2. No. I have not nor will ever sale my MPC to move to software.
3. I think it is a good move to buy an MPC to use along side your software.

can i plz be told the difference btw live7/mpd32 vs live7/mpc1000jjos2

i dont really care to sequence on the mpc...but i know it would be a plus...but is that it? i need to know because im going to purchase the mpc or the mpd

To answer your question...

I just bought an MPC, moving away from software.

I Make Magma said:

i dont really care to sequence on the mpc...but i know it would be a plus...but is that it? i need to know because im going to purchase the mpc or the mpd

you need to realise that an MPD is a controller and an MPC is a sampler which can also be used as a controller. So if you are planning on sampling on Live then MPD is the way to go. If you want to sample on MPC and/or control Live with the MPC then get the MPC.

I haven't personally used Live but I've heard good things about their sampling. So an MPD might be the way to go for you.

I Make Magma said:

if u not usin mpc as a sequencer, then there aint no point in buyin one. that's like buyin an expensive ass midi pad controller when u can buy a mpd for a fraction of the price which will do the same thing.

Have a MPC 1000
Considered moving to software bc of dorm life, but naw :)

diggin24seven said:
if u not usin mpc as a sequencer, then there aint no point in buyin one. that's like buyin an expensive ass midi pad controller when u can buy a mpd for a fraction of the price which will do the same thing.

so as i already though, the only plus to the mpc with live is it can sequence on its own if needed? nothing else it can do vs the mpd?

I agree, I don't really even think the pads are all that great, I mean they work all right, but you can just as well use a midi controller, and those are chromatic. The thing I love about my mpc is that it makes it simple for me to record my hardware synthesizers, sequence, and arrange them. Instead of having to bring 4 big keyboards to a gig, I can bring one and my mpc.

Still got mine. Don't use it as often, but when the feeling to hits you, you can't shake it. I got a 2000XL from 2001. 3.5 floppies and sh*t. Can't make myself buy a newer one though. Too much bang for buck in software apps.

Last edited:
Back