THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

I understand the point the guy in the video was making about sampling from Vinyl records to get that dirty sound. Although hip-hop producer have been doing this for years, I'm very skeptical about sampling from records these days because of the stiffer sample clearance laws. If I developed my so-called signature sound by creating my own custom drum kit from vinyl record sampled drums, I'd have to get them cleared. Wouldn't that be expensive if you used them in a lot of your tracks and released them? I would think so.

That's why I would prefer purchasing drums sample CDs libraries or resampling my on drums from various pieces of gear that I already own. Then I can processes them, apply effects, layer them, whatever...... If I want to make them sound dirty, I can just add some turntable crackling noise or other lo-fi effect to them or something as part of the processing. I'll try anything just to be creative. In my honest opinion, sampling from records is expensive and trying to get away with it by not getting them cleared is waaayyy too risky.

"now when he says that i will admit to the MPC gives you a fuller kick"

No it does'nt. Not if your using a decent audio card anyway.
A good soundcard will capture as much of a sample as a mpc, and probably slightly more.(24bit vs. 16bit.)

Last edited:
no can tell where you get your drums when you sample..that close to impossible to win in court...

now samples...when it comes to low level stuff like under 10000 copies sold ....no one cares...but let your arse sell 50000+ copies then you should clear it...

mattmann just go try it...drop a kick in your software...FL is you can...becasue thats my comparison...and then drop it into a MPC...and you can tell the difference if you pay attention...its not an issue in my opinion...

Last edited:
ray1411 said:
no can tell where you get your drums when you sample..that close to impossible to win in court...

now samples...when it comes to low level stuff like under 10000 copies sold ....no one cares...but let your arse sell 50000+ copies then you should clear it...

mattmann just go try it...drop a kick in your software...FL is you can...becasue thats my comparison...and then drop it into a MPC...and you can tell the difference if you pay attention...its not an issue in my opinion...

I did that before my soundcard just as accurate.
All modern software outputs identicaly too so using fl, cubase, sonar, or whatever wont make a differance.

Last edited:
Sorry have to retell the truth...

MPC + Turntable = True Hip Hop

sampling vinyl may not be what gets on the charts, but its what true hip hop is made of...

well to be honest.. this is True BS!! lol Let me Explain one tiny little fact about the Sound Quality... Your Sampling whats Already MASTERED!!!!! so it go's to show that the sound quality will be way better!... Thats my only complaint.

He was right on the money when he said that you can get the warmth and sound of a MPC from software, only you have to do more work to get it. Just Blaze even mentioned that in one of those Red Bull video's when he was talking about how he switched from hardware to software. He mentioned how he was able to get the same sound that he did with his MPC, but with a bit more tweaking.

Siver said:
He was right on the money when he said that you can get the warmth and sound of a MPC from software, only you have to do more work to get it. Just Blaze even mentioned that in one of those Red Bull video's when he was talking about how he switched from hardware to software. He mentioned how he was able to get the same sound that he did with his MPC, but with a bit more tweaking.

Id rather not have to tweak my sounds on a program when it comes right out of the mpc like i want it.

to each their own...

BenL said:
Sorry have to retell the truth...

MPC + Turntable = True Hip Hop

sampling vinyl may not be what gets on the charts, but its what true hip hop is made of...

Wow... so that Dead Presidents track by Ski is not real hip hop? Tracks done on an ASR or an SP... Not ****ing hip hop? Damn, and all this time I've been misled.

Seriously... You know nothing about hip hop. Hip hop has ALWAYS been about creatively using things to make OUR OWN style of music. Your mentality is actually holding us back. I thank God that there are innovators like Just Blaze doing new things with new tools to help our culture grow beyond current boundaries.

Because mama bought you an MPC 1000 does not make you knowledgeable about my music. Not in the least. I know of way more bona fide hits done in software than on the MPC 1000 (which is the "FL Studio" of the hardware world).

-AD

The first MPC came out in '92.

I agree an MPC and a turntable can make true hip-hop, but it isn't the only way... unless you're trying to say every album before 92 wasn't true hip-hop... I always kinda thought of that as the truest... ;)

Where did the idea that it is "harder" or "takes more work" in software come from. If the dork in the video wouldn't have used stock drum sounds, the sounds of vinyl in the mpc would SOUND THE EXACT SAME as they would sampled and loaded into Reason. NOTHING ELSE REQUIRED.

Filtering isn't hard to do, but you don't have to filter a sample taken from vinyl in a software product to make it sound as the exact same as that sample, unprocessed, sounds in the mpc...

A LOT of wrong things are being said in this forum.

BenL said:
Id rather not have to tweak my sounds on a program when it comes right out of the mpc like i want it.

to each their own...

Read above, you don't have to do anything.

Last edited:
The stuff that guy in the video is saying about hardware/software is analogous to this:

I made this sandwich by taking 2 pieces of whole wheat bread and putting dog poop and sand between the 2 slices...

and I made this other sandwich by taking 2 pieces of rye bread and putting a chicken cutlet and lettuce and tomato between the 2 slices...

The sandwich on rye bread tastes much better than the sandwich on whole wheat bread...

You see, that proves that rye bread is better than whole wheat bread!

Most Of You Guys Get All Offended When Someone Voices their opinion, damn It's Not like They guy Said Reason Sucks, And The Mpc Is Great, He said they were both good to use, ya’ll missed the whole point of the video, he Was Non Biased in his statements, and he made some very valid points, Personally I Recently Made The Switch to the mpc, And imo I like the mpc a lot better(but I Still Use Software Too When I‘m not Sampling), but that’s just me , everyone has their own preferences, and the video shows how both can get the job done but software just takes a little more tweaking, what I believe to be true also

I didn't read all this thread I'll just get to some key points.

1. Who is this guy, what has he done. If he's not at least bigger than me, what can he tell me?

2. Clean drums dominate hip hop right now. For all of this millineum, this is why it's no longer nessesary to get breakbeats, 90% of you don't understand, my stock drums knock in clubs while you overcompress those vinyl drums to get that lil' bit of undistinguished knock. Other producers like your sh*t but rappers don't want them. Fans ain't listenin. The reason why Primos not as relevant in 2007 as Shawty Redd. Real talk.

3. There's no difference in the sound of either. He admitted to using stock drums in reason and analog vinyl samples in the MPC. I could redo the whole vid loading analog vinyl samples in Reason and stock drums in MPC and counterprove the entire point.

4. WTF can he hear thru those rinky dink computer speakers he's using?

5. This argument will go on forever because people are too dumb to know digital sound is digital sound. That mixer and M-Box he ran the MPC thru while using samples from vinyle will give it a different sound than stock drums on reason straight thru a soundcard, but you gotta be a dumb MF to not know why.

5. If he used Optical or SPDIF outs from both an MPC and his computer, used the same samples from both programs, he would get precisely the same sound from both. This is fact, make all the videos you want. Digital = digital the same as 2+2=4.

6. I'm not in defence of anything, I own it all, it's just annoying that you guys spend all this time thinking buying something new makes your sh*t sound better. That's why most of your sh*t is garbage now. 90% of the time when I see an unknown producer with over $2000 worth of sh*t, their music sounds like it's off of a casio. Learn to use what you got, that's all you need. Don't let some nikka in a lil' ass apartment with a MPC1000 and Reason tell you sh*t. Don't let me with my numerous credits and movie scores tell you sh*t. Look up actual factual documents that will prove everything I'm saying correct, then go make a got damn beat. Why is y'all taking advice from random nikkas who making assumptions based on their entry level experiences with reason and the new king of hardware the oh so unattainable production savior...the MPC1000 :rolleyes:

7. Nobodies "Making sure hip hoppers can't afford equipment". It's priced around the work that goes into it. Nobody makes Motifs $3,000 so that people can't buy them. And a real software producer's not using his moms computer. You're investing in something powerful enough to run programs as flawlessly as hardware runs. And vice versa. So my new sh*t is can't no nikka with anything less than an 88 key workstation, MV 8000, or MPC 4000 tell me sh*t. If ya sh*t got flash memory you're playing with toys.

Last edited:
Like someone else said, watching that video is a part of my life I'll never get back.
As we say in Liverpool, what a load of b*ll*cks!
I mean this is more of a Reason versus MPC debate rather than software v hardware. Does this guy even know that other software & hardware exists (apart from FL) such as Guru, Ableton Live, MPD24, plug ins like PSP vintage warmer etc.
Like numerous people before me have said, theres no difference in the sound unless you've got an S950, MPC60 or SP1200.
I've used them all by the way and for me at the moment I'm software based, mainly because of cost and having a family plus I realised I could emulate easily anything a modern MPC can do with the current power of computers. Thats not to knock MPCs though, (don't get me wrong my dream studio would still include an MPC4000) but use whatever workflow you're comfortable with and what you've taken the time to learn. If like this guy you've been "making heat" with Reason, why change and then have to spend the hours learning something new when you could be "making heat"? Likewise I wouldn't expect anyone who's learned how to use an MPC and happy with it to change to software, just because some tells them 'its better'.
OK he says he was bored with Reason but the reason (excuse the pun) he gives just doesn't add up. Is he telling me can't sample from vinyl into his Mac, chop it up and shove the sample into Reason, just like he's now realised he can now do with his MPC?
And I won't even start on the 'warmth' issue. "Cameraman can you feel the warmth?" LMFAO. Talk about emperors new clothes.
I think he just wanted an MPC so he could class himself as "real hip hop" and now has to make this video to justify it to himself.

Apart from all that he seemed like a nice guy:)

Last edited:
Trusty said:
Where did the idea that it is "harder" or "takes more work" in software come from. If the dork in the video wouldn't have used stock drum sounds, the sounds of vinyl in the mpc would SOUND THE EXACT SAME as they would sampled and loaded into Reason. NOTHING ELSE REQUIRED.

Filtering isn't hard to do, but you don't have to filter a sample taken from vinyl in a software product to make it sound as the exact same as that sample, unprocessed, sounds in the mpc...

A LOT of wrong things are being said in this forum.

Read above, you don't have to do anything.

Yep it's been said by about 20 people in this thread already, but might have to be said 20 more times before people get it lol.
Everytime 1 of us points this out someone else agree's with the cat in the vid about the mythical mpc warmth, and how it 2x more difficult to achieve the warmth with software apps.
They must be running 8 bit amiga's or something hehe.

I liked my mpc alot but when I bought my Echo I instantly realized how expendable the mpc was.
I recorded a piece from vinyl, and suddenly realized what all the software cats had been saying about the mpc not having any special sound was true.

Just like I thought the sampletrak added warmth in the low frequencies, and was fooled by placebo the masses of mpc users are also being fooled by mr. placebo, but they just don't want to admit it.

For people wanting warmth....EQ is your friend.

Last edited:
BenL said:

to each their own...

Same here…I use a 2500 and I get way better sound out of it than when I use to use reason...That’s why I was surprised when Just switched over to software from the mpc cause now he has to do more work to get the sound that he was able to get with his 4000

Last edited:
Siver said:
Same here…I use a 2500 and I get way better sound out of it than when I use to use reason...That’s why I was surprised when Just switched over to software from the mpc cause now he has to do more work to get the sound that he was able to get with his 4000

How is the 2500? I got a 1000 and am thinking about upgrading possibly.

Siver said:

See right there, lol.
You must have went from a stock computer soundcard to the mpc.
I went from the mpc2000 to the Echo Mia.
They sound almost identical.
Maybe a very,very slight edge in favor of the Echo.

I don't know why point at the software when comparing samples captured by the convertors.

If your sampling off of records it's your convertors that either faithfully reproduces the sound, or alters it.

The software only plays back what the convertors have recorded.

JB has access to the best convertors available so why should he feel compelled to use middle of the road mpc convertors?
Any of the popular 1 bill audio cards will get you the same quality as an mpc.

Last edited:
tired arguments

**** it

make music

stop comparing ****

its no secret that the mpc is legendary for its timing

the sound is cool, but the timing is everything...

btw, i use a mpc2000xl, mpc1000, and a roland s-50, with m-boxII + reason....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back