THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

You guys are just brick dumb. Digital is Digital. Fact. Regardless of your experience. That's like saying 20% of $1,000 isn't $200 because everytime $1,000 goes thru your manager's hands you end up getting $700 after he takes his 20%.

You guys are ignoring fact and focusing on your experiences. There's a million factors to compromise your sound. What if your beats are ported out of your computer thru a console? You'll get a better finished sound than bouncing or rendering. Same rules apply to digital hardware. If treated the same way as software counterparts, you get the same digital signal. There is small ammounts of aliasing that differ from program to program, but it's only readable on charts, human ear cannot hear a difference, fact.

If the samplerate and bit depth is the same and digital outs are used it's the exact same sound, no tweaking/layering nessesary. I keep stressing this because I can't beleive how much of a waste of industry space alot of you are.

You don't know how to count bars, contradict yourself every 5 minutes. Overlook advice from pros like Will I Am, Just Blaze and 9th wonder, make some dude off Rocbeats.com your hardware savior and swear you know the answers to everything when one google search can provide the factual answer there is absolutely no difference. Digital sound is digital sound. Once you run your MPC thru an analog mixer/pres/ect. it's a different story, but if you output your computer thru the same gear(which actually compromises your quality, not a good thing)I'd once again have the exact same result. Why are you guys too stupid to understand this.

It's like teaching a kid who has no clue that George washington was the 1st president and him saying "well the 1st president I remember is Clinton." Your own experiences don't alter fact, they just show you're not comprehensive enough to eliminate factors that can alter end results. F**king morons.

BTW I'm not angry like you guys tend to think, I'm sitting back in my chair laughing at you dumbasses like I would a kid in school trying to tell me there's 32 letters in the alphabet or 8X8=40. You guys are being just as stupid.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Digital is Digital.
Yeah, i mean, sure if you use an mpc or any other digitial samper vs. reason, or any other software, yeah, it's all ones and zeros. But they don't sound exactly the same by any means. Every peice of gear has a characteristic sound, hardware or software. Since most people are used to the mpc's/sp's/etc, that's the sound we are going for. It's not just the actual sound, it's the swing, the feel, etc of what comes out of the hardware.

If i had an mpc, i'd show you the difference for your ears if i don't process either one and just mix with volume.

these silly threads are silly. im guessing a lot of you guys have never used hard and software side by side with the same speakers and the same sounds. after i did it was a wrap for my mpc.

Last edited:
3D Beats said:
Yeah, i mean, sure if you use an mpc or any other digitial samper vs. reason, or any other software, yeah, it's all ones and zeros. But they don't sound exactly the same by any means. Every peice of gear has a characteristic sound, hardware or software. Since most people are used to the mpc's/sp's/etc, that's the sound we are going for. It's not just the actual sound, it's the swing, the feel, etc of what comes out of the hardware.

If i had an mpc, i'd show you the difference for your ears if i don't process either one and just mix with volume.
Reread my post above until it sinks in.

It's beyond a discussion at this point. I've given you all fact and you still go by reality according to you.

Last edited:
Backing up quite a bit...you really don't think he has a valid point in his video man?
-Havin messed with a SP1200/ASR...sampling out of there is way different than fl man....the sound is way different, soundcard or no
Analog gear can give a warmer sound

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Reread my post above until it sinks in.

It's beyond a discussion at this point. I've given you all fact and you still go by reality according to you.
Sorry, it's hard for me to buy that every single digital device sounds the same when not even 2 soundcards sound the same. Not to mention that many classic samplers have a different bit rate than 16 and most computer programs work higher than 16 and are dithered down.

But even then, i'm really not going to argue. Chalk the differences up to a different work flow, different process. I find their is a difference. And i'm not "defending" either side, i've done both, i don't even use hardware anymore.

BenL said:
Backing up quite a bit...you really don't think he has a valid point in his video man?
-Havin messed with a SP1200/ASR...sampling out of there is way different than fl man....the sound is way different, soundcard or no
Well, all those samplers are digital still. And if you are just tracking out to your soundcard, that moment of analog sound through same cables won't "warm" it up. Running it through a nice console and nice analog signal processes can.

Last edited:
BenL said:
ASR 10 has digital filters like the MPC 60 and 3000. I think they also compromise sound when being recorded/transferred into them, but don't quote me on that. Now you think I'm the idiot? You f**kers just can't read.

SPDIF out from an MPC with this option is unaltered sound. It gives you the same sound as it's PC counterpart using the same samplerate and bit depth. I said all this in my post you illiterate sonz uv biches can't comprehend. The difference between an MPC and PC is non-exsistance. If you output thru analog sources(RCA, XLR, 1/8, ect.)your sound is compromised. If you want to argue that, then, the outs of a motherboard card aren't the same as the outs of an EMU 0404. And there are soundcards on the market that put the MPC's analog outs to shame.

But again, just stay stupid. It's hurting no one but yourself. We're not talking about classic gear that although had digital sound had to convert to analog gear. We're talking about current MPCs.

And if you wanna go there, MPC 60, 3000, and ASR10 have a different sound than both software and every other MPC, why? Because all the rest of this crap sounds the freakin same.
3D Beats said:
Sorry, it's hard for me to buy that every single digital device sounds the same when not even 2 soundcards sound the same. Not to mention that many classic samplers have a different bit rate than 16 and most computer programs work higher than 16 and are dithered down.

But even then, i'm really not going to argue. Chalk the differences up to a different work flow, different process. I find their is a difference. And i'm not "defending" either side, i've done both, i don't even use hardware anymore.

Well, all those samplers are digital still. And if you are just tracking out to your soundcard, that moment of analog sound through same cables won't "warm" it up. Running it through a nice console and nice analog signal processes can.
I wrote all above before reading your post. I can't understand how we both are saying the same thing, yet you fail to understand what I'm getting at. And again, this isn't about classic samplers. We're talking about MPC 1000s and computers. Note the video on the 1st page.

Last edited:
I honestly don't think that I was missing the point; I was voicng my opinion, which by the way, is exactly what this guy was doing. mOre to the point, there shouldn't be a conflict between the two entities; they need each other. The desired ideas placed on software need a tangible element that simply clicking a mouse can't do effectively, that is where hardware comes in. Moreover, once that idea (in this case the track or beat) is expressed, it still needs an element to completely bring the idea to full circle i.e the editing/tweaking/final mixing brought upon by software. Simply put, one is not totally effective without the other.

Last edited:
DP is trying to point out how newer mpc's don't have a sound to them.
Akai is notorious for accuracy not coloration.
So are soundcards.

he's got some good things to say no doubt, but he's so focused on the "it wasn't made for hiphop" that the heart of the matter, WHAT YOU DO WITH IT isn't being the main focus like it needs to be.

I liked this video! The guy has passion and makes good points.
thanks for posting it

(mano from smartie's computer)

Well... I'm not going to let the fact of being called a "moron" and "wasting people's 10 minute's of their lives" effect me lol. I'll put it like this.... throughout the video... I never said anything about "knowing everything". At the end of the day... a truly wise man will admit to knowing NOTHING. What I stated in that video was MY OPNINION... simple as that (which I do have to right to have and express). Whether it contradicts itself doesn't matter to me whatsoever... great people like Malcolm X contradicted themselves, many great kings have contradicted themselves, The Bible contradicts itself. It's like... everybody constantly seeks for something or someone to be completely "right"... which in truth.. YOU'LL NEVER FIND. Because right and wrong are just based on opinions, just as much as food is for different taste buds.

For those who have nerve to blame ME for wasting 10 minutes of their lives, lol ya'll must really have ya'll thoughts screwed up. Because NOBODY forced anyone here with a gun to their head, tellin' them to "watch this video or die" lol. If YOU know "everything" there is to know about a particular subject.... why would you even think about listening to somebody else's point of view????? OF COURSE... to compare, and make sure if you're "right" or "wrong" about something. It's a "waste" of your time when it's something that doesn't help feed your own personal ego and the satisfaction of your opinion.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend what I stated in the video... because frankly... I could care less lol... my opinion is my opinion and I grip it like I do with my balls. If I wanna say the "sky is yellow"... then ****... I can say and tell the world why I think it's yellow. Just don't blame me for the fact that you feel as if you "wasted your time" for listening to my opinion lol.

The truth is... you wasted your time talking down about someone who didn't force you to listen to him. You wasted your time THINKING you wasted your time.... 'cause time TRULY does not exist (it's all a state of mind). And you more than likely "wasted your time" reading this.... :o) Stop taking everything so literally and out of context.... and just let expression be what it is... simply just expression. If you can't understand that... then ****.... have fun stayin' in the matrix. Peace & God bless

-Boon Doc

yo i liked the video dawg...there is no need for you to explain yourself...seriously...you have to accept the fact that youre most likely dealing with old grumpy foggies or teenagers or even tweens on here...so you have to take everything with a grain of salt...

Boon Doc said:
Well... I'm not going to let the fact of being called a "moron" and "wasting people's 10 minute's of their lives" effect me lol. I'll put it like this.... throughout the video... I never said anything about "knowing everything". At the end of the day... a truly wise man will admit to knowing NOTHING. What I stated in that video was MY OPNINION... simple as that (which I do have to right to have and express). Whether it contradicts itself doesn't matter to me whatsoever... great people like Malcolm X contradicted themselves, many great kings have contradicted themselves, The Bible contradicts itself. It's like... everybody constantly seeks for something or someone to be completely "right"... which in truth.. YOU'LL NEVER FIND. Because right and wrong are just based on opinions, just as much as food is for different taste buds.

For those who have nerve to blame ME for wasting 10 minutes of their lives, lol ya'll must really have ya'll thoughts screwed up. Because NOBODY forced anyone here with a gun to their head, tellin' them to "watch this video or die" lol. If YOU know "everything" there is to know about a particular subject.... why would you even think about listening to somebody else's point of view????? OF COURSE... to compare, and make sure if you're "right" or "wrong" about something. It's a "waste" of your time when it's something that doesn't help feed your own personal ego and the satisfaction of your opinion.

I'm not gonna sit here and defend what I stated in the video... because frankly... I could care less lol... my opinion is my opinion and I grip it like I do with my balls. If I wanna say the "sky is yellow"... then ****... I can say and tell the world why I think it's yellow. Just don't blame me for the fact that you feel as if you "wasted your time" for listening to my opinion lol.

The truth is... you wasted your time talking down about someone who didn't force you to listen to him. You wasted your time THINKING you wasted your time.... 'cause time TRULY does not exist (it's all a state of mind). And you more than likely "wasted your time" reading this.... :o) Stop taking everything so literally and out of context.... and just let expression be what it is... simply just expression. If you can't understand that... then ****.... have fun stayin' in the matrix. Peace & God bless

-Boon Doc
I can't speak for everybody, but before you think this is an "FP vs. You" or "Hardware vs. Software" or even "opinion vs. opinion" thing. It's none of the above. Just "fact vs. fiction".

Nomatter who says otherwise, even if the pope says otherwise, 2+2 is always gonna equal 4. 16bit 44.1kHz digital audio will always be 16/44.1 digital audio.

If you say 2+2=5 there is no "right or wrong based opn opinion", just absolute 100% incorrectivity. No disrespect to you fam, I'm aware that you beleived there was a difference in sound, but the difference comes from a million things.

Your playback quality while running reason could be poorer depending on if you use direct audio/mme/asio, and what drivers you use(won't effect the quality of the rendered sound). The mixer you ran your vinyl and MPC thru could give you what you conceive as a "richer, better sound", but none of this is coming from your MPC 1000 itself. Fact.

Different if you're talking about older drum machines with filters like the MPC60 or ASR. But 100% digital Audio is 100% Digital Audio compromisation gives it a different sound, but that can come from a million different things, but not the hardware itself.

Mattman04 said:
DP is trying to point out how newer mpc's don't have a sound to them.
Akai is notorious for accuracy not coloration.
So are soundcards.

Maybe MPCs don't COLOR the sample, but it may SOUND better.

A big plasma TV shows the same movie a lot better than my 20 year old samsung. No one COLORS nothing they just different.

Back