THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

Pimpmatik said:
True True,
I copped Cm magazine special freeware edition and it's loaded with goodies and tutorials.
I recommend this issue to everyone...

Heck yeah!
I bought the april issue just for Podium cm, and Zebra cm, but it was full of usefull tools even without those 2 on the cd.

For real though somebody should do a video of a beat on FL compared to MPC...like use the same drums, samples, exactly crystal clear identical... I'm thinking about it...but somebody needs to do it man...

^^^You're the one that could stand to learn from it. Do it yourself. I did it before I was sure that I could throw my MPC in the closet without looking back. Needed to confirm.

Make sure you output your PC and MPC to the same recording source. Your MPC will sound different because of the way it runs into your computer and the fact you're rendering a file in FL and running direct inputs from MPC. I tested mine RCA to Minidisk from PC Soundcard and MPC. Exact same sound.

Last edited:
BenL said:
For real though somebody should do a video of a beat on FL compared to MPC...like use the same drums, samples, exactly crystal clear identical... I'm thinking about it...but somebody needs to do it man...

That is as useful as doing a video of a comparison between:

1. copying your vocal to second track and panning one LEFT and the other RIGHT

and

2. a mono vocal track

anybody with the slightest understanding of sound knows the outcome of that test without even having to think about it.

BenL I got u man

I don't know why there are such haters out there. dude makes video if u don't like video or views of video then either don't watch video or make better video. Trusty I'm dyin to see a video by u because ur an obvious expert in everything hip hop or music or farm equiptment or whatever youv'e commented on so far. Now I've listened to ur stuff on your myspace and u got some good stuff. But I would like u to check out the rest of the videos that the dude made his name is boon doc he's on youtube with the rest of it. Listen to some of what he has or check his myspace and in my humble opinion your stuff is like a burning out matchstick compared to his fiya. This is just my opinion I don't know either of u but his stuff is music that I can actually feel the emotion in yours I feel like nothing. This is just me speaking as a music lover.
No disrespect to anyone
Peace

Phatback56 said:
I don't know why there are such haters out there. dude makes video if u don't like video or views of video then either don't watch video or make better video. Trusty I'm dyin to see a video by u because ur an obvious expert in everything hip hop or music or farm equiptment or whatever youv'e commented on so far. Now I've listened to ur stuff on your myspace and u got some good stuff. But I would like u to check out the rest of the videos that the dude made his name is boon doc he's on youtube with the rest of it. Listen to some of what he has or check his myspace and in my humble opinion your stuff is like a burning out matchstick compared to his fiya. This is just my opinion I don't know either of u but his stuff is music that I can actually feel the emotion in yours I feel like nothing. This is just me speaking as a music lover.
No disrespect to anyone
Peace

I am certainly NOT an expert on anythng hip-hop. I don't even consider my music hip-hop. I just do rap music (a difference that I will acknowledge even if other southern rappers won't). I don't claim to be an expert on hip-hop, and I have absolutely no concern whatsoever of being considered "hip-hop". I hardly ever listen to what folks around here call "real hip-hop".

I got my own sound. I don't really even make "crunk". Don't care to do that either.

Some people don't like it, many people do. My bank account confirms at least that much. :)

I've heard this cat's other songs...sounds like either what NY street rappers like to rap on, or what the white boys from Wisconson who rap about cyborg animatronic vampire aliens like to rap on.

Plus, his drum beats sound like what drummers in all white frat-boy "funk" bands think is a "get funky" break beat. :D

Anyway, I don't do that. You like that, good for you.
I make southern rap songs...hip-hop is for yankees... ;) j/k

The only thing I know about farm equipment is that it irritates me when rednecks around here drive them on highways. (I live in Arkansas)

Now, having owned a lot of gear, I feel completely qualified to talk about gear.

P.S. You ain't even feeling his music, you feeling the music of the musicians he samples...There is a difference.

I am not even that impressed with his chopping skills. The last person to chop a sample that impressed me personally was 2 Nyce right here on FP with that Air Supply sample.

Last edited:
Trusty said:
I am certainly NOT an expert on anythng hip-hop. I don't even consider my music hip-hop. I just do rap music (a difference that I will acknowledge even if other southern rappers won't). I don't claim to be an expert on hip-hop, and I have absolutely no concern whatsoever of being considered "hip-hop". I hardly ever listen to what folks around here call "real hip-hop"...

Anyway, I don't do that. You like that, good for you.
I make southern rap songs...hip-hop is for yankees... ;) j/k

Now, having owned a lot of gear, I feel completely qualified to talk about gear.

P.S. You ain't even feeling his music, you feeling the music of the musicians he samples...There is a difference.

I am not even that impressed with his chopping skills. The last person to chop a sample that impressed me personally was 2 Nyce right here on FP with that Air Supply sample.

Samplers ARE instruments. I guess alot of people hate musicians who sample but thats too bad because sampling is an art within itself.

Rap is hip hop by the way, so you doing rap music that you dont think is hip hop means its probably Pop or Techno or you ARE doing hip hop music. Hip hop and Rap arent two different genres. Hip hop is a culture, and rap is within that culture... Sampling is apart of that culture too...

Last edited:
BenL said:
Samplers ARE instruments. I guess alot of people hate musicians who sample but thats too bad because sampling is an art within itself.

Rap is hip hop by the way, so you doing rap music that you dont think is hip hop means its probably Pop or Techno or you ARE doing hip hop music. Hip hop and Rap arent two different genres. Hip hop is a culture, and rap is within that culture... Sampling is apart of that culture too...

I never said samplers aren't instruments. When are you going to understand what people say and don't say? I SAMPLE!!! I have a sampled beat on my myspace page for crying out loud. Are you really this stupid that you can't accept that what I say ONLY means what I say.

You are like a snotty girl that thinks someone hates all her cooking because that person didn't like one side dish from one meal out of a thousand. Quit acting like a snotty girl dude.

Hip-hop is a culture, and rap is a part of it...sure. But when we talk about style or sub-genre, hip-hop and rap certainly aren't the same thing.

People can't have it both ways. People can't on the one hand say "real hip-hop" and on the other say all rap is hip-hop, but it somehow isn't if it doesn't fall under some umbrella of what elitists refer to as "real hip-hop"......... That doesn't make sense and people can't have it both ways in terms of musical style. Nas said hip-hop is dead anyway...so it doesn't matter. :D j/k

Anyway, most people consider my music a form of rap, but have never accused it of being "real hip-hop". The reason for that is because it isn't.

Nice try though...but the only thing you've taught me is that there is no shortage of silly kids running around on these forums...and you are the poster girl.

Trusty said:
I never said samplers aren't instruments. When are you going to understand what people say and don't say? I SAMPLE!!! I have a sampled beat on my myspace page for crying out loud. Are you really this stupid that you can't accept that what I say ONLY means what I say.

You are like a snotty girl that thinks someone hates all her cooking because that person didn't like one side dish from one meal out of a thousand. Quit acting like a snotty girl dude.

Hip-hop is a culture, and rap is a part of it...sure. But when we talk about style or sub-genre, hip-hop and rap certainly aren't the same thing.

People can't have it both ways. People can't on the one hand say "real hip-hop" and on the other say all rap is hip-hop, but it somehow isn't if it doesn't fall under some umbrella of what elitists refer to as "real hip-hop"......... That doesn't make sense and people can't have it both ways in terms of musical style. Nas said hip-hop is dead anyway...so it doesn't matter. :D j/k

Anyway, most people consider my music a form of rap, but have never accused it of being "real hip-hop". The reason for that is because it isn't.

Nice try though...but the only thing you've taught me is that there is no shortage of silly kids running around on these forums...and you are the poster girl.

You pretty much dissed sampling from your LAST post, so i ment to clarify that just because he samples someone elses music, doesnt mean its not his own music...

And that load of bull you just posted about:

"Hip-hop is a culture, and rap is a part of it...sure. But when we talk about style or sub-genre, hip-hop and rap certainly aren't the same thing. "

Hip-hop isnt music. Hip Hop is many things: MCing, DJing, Graffitti, Breakdance, beatboxing, etc. There is a such thing as hip hop music which consists of rap.

When someone like yourself does rap music, you are representing hip hop whether you mean to or not. If your beats arent truely hip hop then by you making a rap beat you are being irresponsible. Stop making rap beats if you dont care about hip hop because your basically making pop by your standards but calling it rap....

Maybe you alot of you think i am a noob still to producing, but i sure as h3ll am not new when it comes to hip-hop culture and music... P.h. D on that sh**.

I love hip-hop culture...not your so called "non hip-hop rap" which doesnt exist

Last edited:
BenL said:
You pretty much dissed sampling from your LAST post, so i ment to clarify that just because he samples someone elses music, doesnt mean its not his own music...

No I didn't. I said I wan't impressed with HIS sampling. ANd that, by defination, if you are feeling sampled music, you ARE feeling someone else's music regardless of who sampled it.

BenL said:
And that load of bull you just posted about:

"Hip-hop is a culture, and rap is a part of it...sure. But when we talk about style or sub-genre, hip-hop and rap certainly aren't the same thing. "

Hip-hop isnt music. Hip Hop is many things: MCing, DJing, Graffitti, Breakdance, beatboxing, etc. There is a such thing as hip hop music which consists of rap.

Depends on the context...and in the context I was referring to, and the GUY IN THE VIDEO EVEN SAID IT HIMSELF, there is a difference between "real hip-hop" (by his defination anyway) and other music that isn't, what he refers to (and others) "hip-hop".

BenL said:
When someone like yourself does rap music, you are representing hip hop whether you mean to or not. If your beats arent truely hip hop then by you making a rap beat you are being irresponsible. Stop making rap beats if you dont care about hip hop because your basically making pop by your standards but calling it rap....

Not really. You have a very narrow scope that is clouded by immaturity and ignorance.

BenL said:
Maybe you alot of you think i am a noob still to producing, but i sure as h3ll am not new when it comes to hip-hop culture and music... P.h. D on that sh**.

Already? And four weeks ago you didn't know what bars were...

BenL said:
I love hip-hop culture...not your so called "non hip-hop rap" which doesnt exist

If you understood the context of music itself (which hip-hop CONSTANTLY ALSO gets referred to as music as well...and it is understood by everyone but you to be a style of music in THIS CONTEXT and all that, it does exist. Since you are just trying to argue for the sake of it, you are just simply stupid...excuse me, both of you are stupid. And you can't say "I" if BenL is two people.

Last edited:
Got really defensive there trusty... didnt make any good points for me to rebutle to.

Why dont you go make "STAND ALONE RAP" music now and stop giving advice on what hip-hop is because the dude in the video was talking about HIP HOP MUSIC and you dont know what it is nor do you even make it (so you claim).

Last edited:
BenL said:
Got really defensive there trusty... didnt make any good points for me to rebutle to.

Why dont you go make "STAND ALONE RAP" music now and stop giving advice on what hip-hop is because the dude in the video was talking about HIP HOP MUSIC and you dont know what it is nor do you even make it (so you claim).

Ironic you say that you can't rebut anything I wrote...and then refute your own words by just now using the phrase "hip-hop music"...which you said...

BenL said:
Hip-hop isnt music.

...and then turned right around and said it is...

Figure it out then come talk to me about it.

I was showing you your own hypocrisy...

Hip-Hop music= rap (what other genre is there within your so called hip hop music?)

Not R&B, thats more like a subgenre of pop...

Last edited:
I'll make it more simple. So you (both) can understand (hopefully) there is no "hypocrisy".

Sometimes the term "hip-hop" is only used to describe music (even though it is also the broader culture yada yada yada).

Now, IN THAT CONTEXT, people will say things like: that "west coast gangst rap or that southern crunk crap ain't hip-hip."

In that same context, while I think none of that is crap, when I refer to my music (again in the context of using the phrase "hip-hop" to describe a certain musical style), I don't describe my music as "hip-hop"...even if all rap is under the umbrella of "hip-hop" when that phrase IS USED IN THE CONTEXT of a culture (and it isn't, because I would never consider rap-rock-metal ala Limp Bizkit to be "hip-hop" in any context for example).

Get it now?

And if you don't think that the phrase "hip-hop" gets used in different contexts (one for culture...one for a musical style), you (both) are more stupid than I give you credit for being...

Last edited:
Sometimes the term "hip-hop" is only used to describe music (even though it is also the broader culture yada yada yada).

Now, IN THAT CONTEXT, people will say things like: that "west coast gangst rap or that southern crunk crap ain't hip-hip."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you have described is styles of rap music, not subgenres of "hip hop music"

When someone says "southern crunk crap aint hip-hop" they mean it doesnt follow the true meaning of the culture of hip hop.

But i understood what you ment; still not standing down though, HipHop culture has music in it which is rap. but enough of that

Last edited:
BenL said:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What you have described is styles of rap music, not subgenres of "hip hop music"

When someone says "southern crunk crap aint hip-hop" they mean it doesnt follow the true meaning of the culture of hip hop.

But i understood what you ment; still not standing down though, HipHop culture has music in it which is rap. but enough of that

Again, you completely missed it. But I shouldn't expect otherwise. And again, when they say things like that, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY more often than not they are referring to hip-hop in a musical context...not a cultural context. I know this because I've been here for years and know what people mean when they say things.

I never said anything about "sub-genres" of "hip-hop music". In a musical context "hip-hop" and "rap" are both subgenres of music.

Again, you missed it.

whatever dude...

Just to let you know, when someone says hip hop is dead they are referring to the fact that the morals of hip hop (culture :/) are gone.

Right now HIP HOP culture's values are about being a gangster, seeking material things only, etc. Hip hop is dead doesnt just relate to the fact that mainstream rap sucks. (TI is the counter example)

BenL said:
whatever dude...

Just to let you know, when someone says hip hop is dead they are referring to the fact that the morals of hip hop (culture :/) are gone.

Right now HIP HOP culture's values are about being a gangster, seeking material things only, etc. Hip hop is dead doesnt just relate to the fact that mainstream rap sucks. (TI is the counter example)

I could actually care less as it was a joke anyway. Though, I read the article where Nas dissed all that when explaining his choice for the title of the album, then, in a complete turnabout on his criticism, called all his women jewelry "status pieces", which in that same article, included him speaking on the materialism problem.

I didn't really read through the thread, i just saw alot of arguments and skipped it.

Anyway, i defineatly agree with this guy. And my experience is totally opposite. Although i learned how to make beats off of software (non-sampled and ****ty), when i started to sample, i just dropped the software. So i basically started making hip hop of an mpc. And now i'm straight software. I feel my ear was "tuned" to hardware so basically i make my **** to sound like that. You do have to learn to filter, you do need real records, not this mp3 bull**** that you find all over the net. You do need to build up your drum kits, layer, tweek, etc.

And i will say, i still feel like my **** has too much of a "software" sound. Unless i have time to do a real mixdown which isn't happening alot of me recently. You can get the right sound on software. But you need to know how the hardware sounds. I encourage any sampled based producer to get an mpc, even if software has done it's job ok. I know i keep ending up with one even though i don't use it.

And i'm not alone. Basically everyone i know that is ill on software has some sort of history with mpcs, sp's, asr10's, etc. I really do think that software can out do hardware in many respects at this point. But, it has to be done in a way that is coheirant with the hardware sound. We all grew up on **** made on hardware, there was no FL or reason in the mid 90's (well, i'm probably older than alot of dudes, younger than others), but the point is, that classic sound needs to be respected.

Long post, sorry...

Back