THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

BenL said:
I dont make beats, i make songs

Same guy, about 4 weeks earlier:
BenL said:
If im writing a song...what are bars? :monkey: help. post the original post or help.

I mean in terms of the beat bars compared to the actual lyrics...like if i have a four bar beat, do i do that beat 4 times to get 16 bars? or is it a four bar beat played 16 times....i'm confused?

Clearly he's an expert already ... pretty much the same way he approaches every subject.

I use FL and

I sample from both Vinyl and mps

I have my own sounds, I use break loops ,fills, one shots from old records

I filter bass from the low pass from songs sometimes for my bassline

I layer my kicks,snares

and My high hats come from records

Its all about what you know and how your ear is trained....
Im not into back pack music but
I know the difference between those laffy taffy type of beats or those beats with weak stock sounds and what I know to be hip hop...

And Ive heard dudes make bull**** on MPC's..... Its all about what u know and how your ears are trained...

This Vid is good for software users that make hip hop beats with those funny snares and synth sounds.

Xperiment said:
What???? Dude, please go back and review the history books on MPCs. I'm not even going to tell you the correct date.

Peace
Sorry, got the 60 and the 60-II confused... even though a quick search shows me the 60II came out in '91...

nvm, '88 it is :o

Trusty said:
Get out of here with that non-response. How is it NOT an over-glorified computer? (or any digital hardware these days...) They are EXACTLY that.

I have a computer that has a primary focus of producing music, and unlike the Fantom, I can surf the web on it too. :D

Does the Fantom have an operating system? Yes.

Does it have RAM? Yes.

Does it have a hard drive of some sort? Yes.

Does it have a color monitor? Yes.

Usb port? Check...

Umm, how is it not an over-glorified computer again? (with almost three times the cost and less than impressive specs to boot...)

This sums up BenL nicely:

Total number of posts on www.futureproducers.com: 1,088

Total number of beats posted anywhere on the internet that anyone has ever heard that can prove BenL actually even knows how to make a single beat: 0

A lawn mower has....

Gas Tank
Carburetor
Air Filter
Wheels
Spark Plug
Motor

Does that make it an Automobile?????

:D

BigBrotherMotown said:
A lawn mower has....

Gas Tank
Carburetor
Air Filter
Wheels
Spark Plug
Motor

A riding mower...oddly enough, being from Arkansas, there have been those times when you get stuck in traffic on the road behind a...you guessed it. ;)

i use hardware and software i bet you couldnt tell what i use on any off my beats.i have 4 tracks up on my myspace page.1made in fl studio 7.1made in logic 7.1made with an asr10.1 made with logic and fruity loops. i bet you cant tell the diff.

BigBrotherMotown said:
A lawn mower has....

Gas Tank
Carburetor
Air Filter
Wheels
Spark Plug
Motor

This would be a good point...but isn't hardware workstation's the "Lawnmower" equivalent to computers...not the other way around?

Gas Tank/Ram...Car/Computer has bigger space for it.
Wheels/OS...Car/Computer's have more functionality.
Motor/Processor...Car/Computer has more powerful ones.

I'm an advocate of hardware users, but you're justifications are always lame.

It boils down to you prefer hardware. Nothing wrong with that. But you have absolutely no advantage over someone using an up to date computer that meets all the reccomendations of their music software.

And as for BenL, we should all just learn to ignore him, he brings nothing of any importance to a discussion. Being that he's still learning to count bars, I'm sure his expertise in sound design surpasses all of ours to the point we should just agree to disagree with him and move on.

Last edited:
Trusty said:
A riding mower...oddly enough, being from Arkansas, there have been those times when you get stuck in traffic on the road behind a...you guessed it. ;)

Actually...your every day "run of the mill"...."yank the chord until your shoulder gives out" PUSH mowers have those things as well....

But I dont think you can ride them (Not Comfortably anyway...LOL)

;)

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
This would be a good point...but isn't hardware workstation's the "Lawnmower" equivalent to computers...not the other way around?

Gas Tank/Ram...Car/Computer has bigger space for it.
Wheels/OS...Car/Computer's have more functionality.
Motor/Processor...Car/Computer has more powerful ones.

I'm an advocate of hardware users, but you're justifications are always lame.

It boils down to you prefer hardware. Nothing wrong with that. But you have absolutely no advantage over someone using an up to date computer that meets all the reccomendations of their music software.

And as for BenL, we should all just learn to ignore him, he brings nothing of any importance to a discussion. Being that he's still learning to count bars, I'm sure his expertise in sound design surpasses all of ours to the point we should just agree to disagree with him and move on.

No.....

Trusty's point was that a "MORE Powerful" computer set up could be had for LESS $$$$$

I am not sure I agree with that as you would need the following....

PC or MAC with adequate specs....Price....I don't know
Midi controler with PADS and 61 DECENT Keys....
A GOOD Interface......
and ALL the VST's, Soft Synths,Effects and Sampler PLUS some kinda recording software (because the fantom has Audio Tracks) to do EVERYTHING that the Fantom does....

Now I spent $1600 on a Brand New Fantom Last Year....

You could spend that on SOFTWARE ALONE depending on what you buy...so I dont see it as necessarily a "Cheaper" soultion.....

Yes I AM a hardware guy....Got nothing against SOFTWARE guys....

I chose what I liked and I use it Damn well.....

By the way....I dont have to "Justify" what I use to anyone...but if I DID, such a justification would be FAR from lame....

:cheers:

Last edited:
I use both and spend thousands on both a year. I ain't hearing no one saying either is better/worse than the other. I just went by your last post, I may have missed points you made in prior ones.

If your on a shoestring budget a home studio can be run with nothing but freeware, and the results can still be fantastic.
So it's not nessisarily cheaper but it can be.

imjondoe15 said:
I sample everybody on future producers.

This stuff scares me...yall wonder why i don't post beats....:monkey:

Im talking to deranged and trusty

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
..................................................................................

Mattman04 said:
If your on a shoestring budget a home studio can be run with nothing but freeware, and the results can still be fantastic.
So it's not nessisarily cheaper but it can be.

True True,
I copped Cm magazine special freeware edition and it's loaded with goodies and tutorials.
I recommend this issue to everyone...

He's talking through his jacksie. Hardware, software, racks... They're all just tools. If you really want to get the best equipment for making music, the solution is simple, no matter what kind of music you want to make. Ears and practice. There is no subtitue for experience. If you're truly looking for the best other equipment, a marriage of hardware AND software provides the best solution. Any person who says that one is better than the other is just reciting what they read on a forum somewhere.

BenL said:
This stuff scares me...yall wonder why i don't post beats....:monkey:

Im talking to deranged and trusty

any excuse will do, huh? :monkey:

benl, there are a few people here that can lap you in a 100 yard dash as far as music, beatmaking, production goes, maybe you should sit back and learn a few things. there is a strong possibility of all that miss-information that you speak of is stumpping your musical growth.

You know what, I'm going to just say this and then I'm donre with this thread- master your setup, period. This whole hardware vs software rant and rave session is just totally useless; the main reason he forgot to mention in his video was 9th, like many other great porudcers, masters his setup. Yes, it's true, vinyl is better fot sample-based hip-hop, and using effects, and the like do help to get that but it all come s down th the mastery of your setup, be it software based or hardware or a hybrid of both period. pete rock is in the top tier of producers, why because he mastered the SP1200. same thing with premo. same with 9th. they mastered their setups, and got around any and all obstacles to do so. there is no clear winer in the soft vs hard equip debate, they both have their highs and their lows point; it is imply a matter of choice on the person who decides to use either, and how well they master their choice. they could have either MPC known to man, and still suck, or they could have Reason, Pro tools HD, FL XXXl ,and still suck.

jeffery225 said:
You know what, I'm going to just say this and then I'm donre with this thread- master your setup, period. This whole hardware vs software rant and rave session is just totally useless; the main reason he forgot to mention in his video was 9th, like many other great porudcers, masters his setup. Yes, it's true, vinyl is better fot sample-based hip-hop, and using effects, and the like do help to get that but it all come s down th the mastery of your setup, be it software based or hardware or a hybrid of both period. pete rock is in the top tier of producers, why because he mastered the SP1200. same thing with premo. same with 9th. they mastered their setups, and got around any and all obstacles to do so. there is no clear winer in the soft vs hard equip debate, they both have their highs and their lows point; it is imply a matter of choice on the person who decides to use either, and how well they master their choice. they could have either MPC known to man, and still suck, or they could have Reason, Pro tools HD, FL XXXl ,and still suck.

...but the point is that the video had absolutely nothing to do with a comparison between hardware and software.

THAT is the point here.

I can not understand why so many people are missing that blatently clear point. And i especially can't understand how people are missing that point after it is being very clearly pointed out to people here.

BenL said:
im pretty sure its not a joke

in a thread titled "what do you use to make beats" where the responses are things like "my butt cheeks", "two sticks", "my brain" and "i sample everyone on FP"...

i would say that is an attempt at trying to be funny.

The last thing you have to worry about is someone sampling your songs and selling them as his own.

Especially when you are posting MP3's which are crap quality and useless as a sample in any real song.

Plus, if someone is gonna rip a song off, they are going to rip off a hit... not some dude just learning to make tracks. (no offense to anyone, but it is the truth)

Last edited:
Back