THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I didn't read all this thread I'll just get to some key points.

1. Who is this guy, what has he done. If he's not at least bigger than me, what can he tell me?

2. Clean drums dominate hip hop right now. For all of this millineum, this is why it's no longer nessesary to get breakbeats, 90% of you don't understand, my stock drums knock in clubs while you overcompress those vinyl drums to get that lil' bit of undistinguished knock. Other producers like your sh*t but rappers don't want them. Fans ain't listenin. The reason why Primos not as relevant in 2007 as Shawty Redd. Real talk.

3. There's no difference in the sound of either. He admitted to using stock drums in reason and analog vinyl samples in the MPC. I could redo the whole vid loading analog vinyl samples in Reason and stock drums in MPC and counterprove the entire point.

4. WTF can he hear thru those rinky dink computer speakers he's using?

5. This argument will go on forever because people are too dumb to know digital sound is digital sound. That mixer and M-Box he ran the MPC thru while using samples from vinyle will give it a different sound than stock drums on reason straight thru a soundcard, but you gotta be a dumb MF to not know why.

5. If he used Optical or SPDIF outs from both an MPC and his computer, used the same samples from both programs, he would get precisely the same sound from both. This is fact, make all the videos you want. Digital = digital the same as 2+2=4.

6. I'm not in defence of anything, I own it all, it's just annoying that you guys spend all this time thinking buying something new makes your sh*t sound better. That's why most of your sh*t is garbage now. 90% of the time when I see an unknown producer with over $2000 worth of sh*t, their music sounds like it's off of a casio. Learn to use what you got, that's all you need. Don't let some nikka in a lil' ass apartment with a MPC1000 and Reason tell you sh*t. Don't let me with my numerous credits and movie scores tell you sh*t. Look up actual factual documents that will prove everything I'm saying correct, then go make a got damn beat. Why is y'all taking advice from random nikkas who making assumptions based on their entry level experiences with reason and the new king of hardware the oh so unattainable production savior...the MPC1000 :rolleyes:

7. Nobodies "Making sure hip hoppers can't afford equipment". It's priced around the work that goes into it. Nobody makes Motifs $3,000 so that people can't buy them. And a real software producer's not using his moms computer. You're investing in something powerful enough to run programs as flawlessly as hardware runs. And vice versa. So my new sh*t is can't no nikka with anything less than an 88 key workstation, MV 8000, or MPC 4000 tell me sh*t. If ya sh*t got flash memory you're playing with toys.

1. IDK but his sh!t (on reason and the mpc) sounds good to me

2. Your right for the most part, but i think primo is relevant in 2007 man. Listen to Christina A. album. She even got a single out of primo that was on the radio a f***load. Primos relevant when primo wants to be...he doesn't play that club sh!t. WE can all make crunk music, it isn't hard. But unfortunatly your right about your club anthyms doing better than good old hip hop.

3. I'd wanna see that video...itd be interesting to watch.

4. Those might be tight speakers man...i got some boston "rickidy" speakers and they got subs on the bottom and they knock like your mother and father on they anniversary..(i got em for free from my job)
Cameras dull down the sound quite a bit

5. Right on...

6. and 7. I think ur missing the point...his main point is that most of the equipment made (ASRs, MPCs) were not made for hip hop. And most of that stuff was expensive as hell back in the day. Hes stating that producers made these things hip hop...then he goes on to reason and fl talking about how they are made for hip hop and sh!t which makes them a little bit different.
Lastly, most producers are dissing on the MP glorifying computers, when they are in fact specialized computers to do one specific function.
Most are dissing on software, (I own fl, hate it, but love reason) i think its cuz we feel p.o.ed that some kid with a laptop and a copy of fl gains the title of producer. Get a turntable some nice monitors, midi controllers...something man. Its definitly more powerful in capablity, but that doesn't necessarily mean its better.

Some take limitations and it brings the creativity
Some take no limits and it brings creativity

I really think this guy knows what he's talking about

Last edited:
Vhz said:
I thought it's gonna be SOFTWARE vs. HARDWARE, not SOFTWARE vs. MPC/Samplers

Its always MPC vs. Software

because when you attack something, go for the weakest one (like if a tigers hunting, it goes for the zebra with the limp)

The mpc is critized nowadays for being outdated, so its the easier hardware to diss on.

YOU WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE if you decided to say the Fantom X is outdated or a overglorified computer. But if you say that about the mpc, its subjective...

BenL said:
6. and 7. I think ur missing the point...his main point is that most of the equipment made (ASRs, MPCs) were not made for hip hop. And most of that stuff was expensive as hell back in the day. Hes stating that producers made these things hip hop...then he goes on to reason and fl talking about how they are made for hip hop and sh!t which makes them a little bit different.
No, he is saying that FL and Reason weren't made for hip-hop, they were made for electronica - just like hardware.

BenL said:
1. IDK but his sh!t (on reason and the mpc) sounds good to me

2. Your right for the most part, but i think primo is relevant in 2007 man. Listen to Christina A. album. She even got a single out of primo that was on the radio a f***load. Primos relevant when primo wants to be...he doesn't play that club sh!t. WE can all make crunk music, it isn't hard. But unfortunatly your right about your club anthyms doing better than good old hip hop.

3. I'd wanna see that video...itd be interesting to watch.

4. Those might be tight speakers man...i got some boston "rickidy" speakers and they got subs on the bottom and they knock like your mother and father on they anniversary..(i got em for free from my job)
Cameras dull down the sound quite a bit

5. Right on...

Lastly, most producers are dissing on the MP glorifying computers, when they are in fact specialized computers to do one specific function.
Most are dissing on software, (I own fl, hate it, but love reason) i think its cuz we feel p.o.ed that some kid with a laptop and a copy of fl gains the title of producer. Get a turntable some nice monitors, midi controllers...something man. Its definitly more powerful in capablity, but that doesn't necessarily mean its better.

Some take limitations and it brings the creativity
Some take no limits and it brings creativity

I really think this guy knows what he's talking about
1. So he's a nobody.

2. Primo did Xtina. Guys Like Shawty Redd, Polow, Toomp currently run the industry, and Xtina had no spectacular run with this last album. You gotta keep up with everyone else in this business. 10 years ago Primo was everywhere and Polow produced Jim Crow.

3. It wouldn't it would be exactly what I said it would be,

4.From someone who uses budget gear, those are not "tight speakers". They're peices of crap with a 40w inch sub accompanying them to the most. Not even good for web surfing and video games.

5. I know.

6 and 7. I'm amazed that "MPCers" feel so threatened, I mean you're just using archaic gear. At one point it was ASR vs. MPC, Samplers vs. Keyboard, analog vs. Digital. As time goes on every new peiceof music tech finds it's place, and you say an MPC is a "dedicated computer" what's a Mac? Or a 3.0gHz Dual core Music XPC with a kick azz soundcard with pres and converters?

I'm also tired of the sob stories from MPC users. I still got a 2000XL from '01 with a 3.5 floppy and 16mb Ram. I work on every peice of equipment under the sun as I hop from major L.A. studio to studio that trumps all of your hometown studios unless you're in major cities(Chicago, Miami, NY, Detroit, ATL, Houston, ect.)and all I upgrade on a yearly basis is computer and software. Not saying I know it all, but being that I know the presets from everything up to an Oasys by heart from using other peoples sh*t, know the sounds of any equipment distinctively well, and getting paid well. If any of this stuff would better my sound it would be purchased before another car, jewelry, or before I went to the club f**kin off $300 at the bar. But my Car jewelry and Bartab are all way newer than that MPC that spends majority of it's time in a corner collecting dust of over my cousins house.

Not saying if you like it you shouldn't use it, just saying all this is placebo. You guys need to stop arguing what you think you know, we're on the net right now. Look up sound design and quality of digital audio from Motif to MPC to an on board HP soundcard. You'll be surprised what you can learn.

TheVariousArtist said:
No, he is saying that FL and Reason weren't made for hip-hop, they were made for electronica - just like hardware.
While later MPCs like the 1000, 500, and 2500 clearly are more focused on hip hop.

Last edited:
Every1 on here should js chill. btw check out some of this gys beats on youtube b4 you slag man off.
He's got fire!

jordy said:
Every1 on here should js chill. btw check out some of this gys beats on youtube b4 you slag man off.
He's got fire!

I didn't see anyone commenting on the quality of his "beats"

That has nothing to do with the issues here.

BenL said:
YOU WOULD GET EATEN ALIVE if you decided to say the Fantom X is outdated or a overglorified computer. But if you say that about the mpc, its subjective...

The Fantom X is outdated and an overglorified computer. :) It certainly ain't subjective.

Color monitor
USB port
544 MB of RAM
1 gig of storage from a PC Card /External Harddrive capabilities
Audio Tracks...

Tell me they aren't trying to emulate software and a computer with this thing.

Heck, the Fantom X can't even do different synth engines in it like the Triton and Motif can, its just rompler rompler rompler, and 80% of it (besides a few new ones) is the same rehashed waveforms (they like to call them classic...I call them old) in its rehashed rompler engine (4 waveforms per patch...been around forever) from the old JV series...

Oh, and before you respond and try to "eat me alive", be very sure you want to debate me on a Roland product.

TheVariousArtist said:
The first MPC came out in '92.

What???? Dude, please go back and review the history books on MPCs. I'm not even going to tell you the correct date.

Peace

Last edited:
Overglorified computer? Fantom? Get outta here.
Specialized tech. keyboard that focus's on the primary goal of producing music, a computer...its got computer components but hardly overglorified computer

Hardware vs. Software.

All hardware samplers are easier to use and yield much quicker results.
Why?

Becuase all the buttons and everything are mapped out to serve their specific pupose. They are designed to be that way.

Software, however, gives you a lot more power.
Why?

Becuase you can add, modify, and arrange what you do to the point of infinity. Expansion through vst (or whatever playform you use) instruments and effects is almost infinite.

The mistake he made in the video was comparing what he did drum wise in Reason with factory sounds vs. what he did with his own samples off of wax in the MPC. He should have shown that he could get the same sound in Reason with a little work. In Reason, I wouldn't use Redrum for drum sounds, I would probably use NNXT so that I could filter the drums a little to dirty it up. Redrum doesn't have any filter algorithm at all. I use to do the same thing with my ASR 10. Mpc's have filters on them as well (at least I know my Mpc 3000 does).

To each his own. I'm not saying which one is better, because that is all a matter of personal choice. Use what you feel more comfortable with. What you can flow with more.

But remember this, and this is the most important thing out of anything the guy in the video said, or anything anyone said in this thread.

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU USE, BUT HOW YOU USE IT.

Peace out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenL said:
Overglorified computer? Fantom? Get outta here.
Specialized tech. keyboard that focus's on the primary goal of producing music, a computer...its got computer components but hardly overglorified computer

Get out of here with that non-response. How is it NOT an over-glorified computer? (or any digital hardware these days...) They are EXACTLY that.

I have a computer that has a primary focus of producing music, and unlike the Fantom, I can surf the web on it too. :D

Does the Fantom have an operating system? Yes.

Does it have RAM? Yes.

Does it have a hard drive of some sort? Yes.

Does it have a color monitor? Yes.

Usb port? Check...

Umm, how is it not an over-glorified computer again? (with almost three times the cost and less than impressive specs to boot...)

This sums up BenL nicely:

Total number of posts on www.futureproducers.com: 1,088

Total number of beats posted anywhere on the internet that anyone has ever heard that can prove BenL actually even knows how to make a single beat: 0

A Workstation like the fantom is a machine specifically made by a manufacturer for music and music production.

A computer is a machine made for a wide variety of things, able to handle programs like word processing, games, and a wide variety of programs.

The fantom may have similar parts to a computer but it is definatly not a computer. Even though the parts are there the functionality isnt there. The fantom JUST makes music.

Your computer that you say is specifically for music production wasnt made for music production. it was made to do a wide variety of things including using music programs, but whoever manufactured your computer or even if you built it yourself, the manufactorer or the parts made where not made with the intention of just music production...

Also i dont need to post my beats on FP, i just dont want to because i dont see the point. I know what i am doing and none of your comments about me beats would help me out. RZA, kayne, Dr. Dre, timberland, etc all of those cats didnt have to post their beats on the net, because they and i dont need your punk @ss to say whether or not our stuff is hot...

Last edited:
BenL said:
A Workstation like the fantom is a machine specifically made by a manufacturer for music and music production.

A computer is a machine made for a wide variety of things, able to handle programs like word processing, games, and a wide variety of programs.

The fantom may have similar parts to a computer but it is definatly not a computer. Even though the parts are there the functionality isnt there. The fantom JUST makes music.

Your computer that you say is specifically for music production wasnt made for music production. it was made to do a wide variety of things including using music programs, but whoever manufactured your computer or even if you built it yourself, the manufactorer or the parts made where not made with the intention of just music production...

Again, your beats are where?

What a bogus answer that was anyway. So, what you are saying is, at a much higher price than a computer, the Fantom actually does a lot less. What a piece of crap that is! :D

As someone who owned a Fantom (well, the Fantom S)...I know what it is...and sure ain't as good as a computer that it for sure. Another way it could be veiwed, especially for those who record into Sonar, PT LE, Cubase, Logic, etc...is as a HUGE DONGLE for inferior sampling, inferior internal sounds/waveforms, inferior sequencing, an inferior keybed, inferior pads, and inferior components for their software DAW. ;)

By the way BenL, haven't you realized I've been having fun at your expense yet?

Last edited:
Also i dont need to post my beats on FP, i just dont want to because i dont see the point. I know what i am doing and none of your comments about me beats would help me out. RZA, kayne, Dr. Dre, timberland, etc all of those cats didnt have to post their beats on the net, because they and i dont need your punk @ss to say whether or not our stuff is hot...

Trusty said:
By the way BenL, haven't you realized I've been having fun at your expense yet?

Thats not very christian of you...;)

I do realize you having fun at my expense, but im not the one who looks ignorant...

But you think what you think, i will know what i know

Last edited:
BenL said:

Or in other words...

BenL said:
I don't even really make beats.

I wasn't so I or anyone else could critique your beats, it to show that you can actually make one and all your posts aren't just the random spillage from an active gear discusser (which is not the same thing as a beatmaker or producer...but surprisingly enough, there are people who's only hobby is discussing gear and not ever actually using anything or making any music...so far, you fit the bill).

And you called me a "punk @ss"...that's funny.

Grow up little girl.

BenL said:
Thats not very christian of you...;)

I do realize you having fun at my expense, but im not the one who looks ignorant...

But you think what you think, i will know what i know

Again, how is it not "Christian" of me? Do you know what is or isn't "Christian", or only what you think should and shouldn't be or not be "Christian"?

And you think I look ignorant...you must be ignorant. No one here thinks you have any credability. I know the same as what other semi-pros and pros know...we know that you know nothing.

Last edited:
Back