THE DIFFERENCE: Hardware Vs. Software (video)

X-pert said:
^Boon Doc Iz The Shiz Making That Real Hip Hop>>>Derranged Be Making That Hip Pop!!!! Thanks For Killing Hip Hop Homie

ALL CAPS WHEN YOU SAY THE MANS NAME
I got more hip hop in my pinky than 90% of FP who think I don't got in their suburban wanna tell somebody what hip hop is bodies. Who I produce for that's pop? Yukmouth, Blackchild, Ruff Ryders, St. Laz, Outlawz, Gonzoe? Who? F**k y'all backpackin bichez.

Last edited:
Tell you what bich. Post a beat. Post a link to some music or keep getting new accounts under new names to spread bullsh*t. You're wack, you've never had a major placement, you don't pop bottles in V.I.P. with anybody whether it's Wayne, Common, or Jurassic 5.

So you can keep telling me about what I do, or do what you do. BTW, I gotta go upstairs to my(not my mom's, not my Visa's until it's paid off, but MY)homestudio to make my beats where I use a PC alongside an MPC2kXL and Triton Rack if I choose.

And when I'm done, my beat may not be as "colored" as yours, but it sell for about the price of a Honda Civic more than yours ever will. Get like me, or you betta go tell this keep it real bullsh*t to ya significant other(you call him your brother), lol.

Get a life.

Wassup, Lucy? You gonna report me again for putting you on front street? Post a "beat" so I know how hip hop is done. I got an album coming that's gonna show you clowns how hip hop I am. None of you who talk sh*t can say the same. Keep ridin' my dicc.

This clown run offline when you put him on blast.

Go play with you're raggidy 1000. Try to talk about what I make a beat with, nigga you got a baby MPC. I can slap my whole palm across my pads, you tap yours with an Index finger.

Niggas buying 500s and 1000s thinking they're getting classic peices of hip hop equipment...That seems more "Hip Pop" to me.

Last edited:
i believe he was talking not nessecarily about the sound QUALITY but "the way to instruments sound"

no one and i mean NO ONE is going to tell me that fruity loops/reason stock drums with some eq's and reverb, stacked on it is going to sound anything like an authentic sampled james brown snare or a sampled 1971 bass lick

if you're trying to make that traditional hip-hop thats what it was built on. ANALOG samples from VINYL. if you dont care about that sound then do whatever the ffff u want

if you think any other than that, slice youre throat and throw away the fruity loops and reason

Last edited by a moderator:
Analog samples from vinyl can be loaded into A triton, Motif, Reason or FL, same way they can an MPC, that's my point, expert.

No one's gonna tell you FL and Reason stock sound like a James Brown Sample. No One's gonna tell you MPC stock sounds like a James Brown sample. Where do you know it all new niggas keep coming from? And why all y'all gotta post your 2 cents behind what I say on some slick sh*t?

Last edited:
Well time to search some IP addresses.

Might have some spammers here.

All taken care of Deranged. Your ol buddy came back.......AGAIN *sigh*

But I can tell ya'll this. That ASR is WARM. Great tone to it.

PlanetHitzProduction said:
But I can tell ya'll this. That ASR is WARM. Great tone to it.
But all this can be explained with Facts. I swear this has been stated millions of times up here, but for those that don't know, older samplers/drum machines had filters built into them. Like the ASR, MPC 60, but newer models don't. Any "coloring" you're getting is coming from the way your audio is handled. Even clipping will sound "colorful" and "warm" thru RCA cables to a Mixer/Pre. I could see if they were arguing about ASRs, but they're acting like their 1000s are outdoing computers.

Anyone who takes advantage of their digital I/Os know the difference doesn't exsist.

MPC "warm and colorful"? False

RCA Cables to a Mixer/Pre "warm and colorful?" True. But this is the same reason people focus so much on pres and mixers when recording anything.

Last edited:
i had a slight feeling you were gonna catch feelings, but i wasnt talking to you my dude, i dont know you and i didnt critique anything you said specifically so i dont know why you got mad. keep it moving and ill do the same

the majority of new young producers dont sample vinyl into reason/fruity loops so therefore that sound is pure reason sound, which is trash to me. and if they do sample their using sythetic drums under it which again are trash. thats why it doesen't "sound" hip-hop to pure old school heads. i dont want to hear buckshot over nitti beats or scott storch.

me personally i dont care cause hip-hop is dead, nnnnn's can do whatever they want just dont get classic hip-hop and faggggot shhhh confused

Straight said:
Maybe MPCs don't COLOR the sample, but it may SOUND better.

A big plasma TV shows the same movie a lot better than my 20 year old samsung. No one COLORS nothing they just different.

Oh c'mon we've had this whole discussion before, and I've even seen a test on gearslutz.com showing only a few minor differances between a mpc3000, and a good audio interface.
The 3000 did lack the low end the audiocard was capable of producing.
I could easily see this in a wav editor.
Could I hear it?...Yes(only on the kick drum), and because the 3k lacked low end the lo/mids stuck out more, wich gave the perception of warmth, but it just was'nt really there.

Gold Fronts said:
i believe he was talking not nessecarily about the sound QUALITY but "the way to instruments sound"

no one and i mean NO ONE is going to tell me that fruity loops/reason stock drums with some eq's and reverb, stacked on it is going to sound anything like an authentic sampled james brown snare or a sampled 1971 bass lick

if you're trying to make that traditional hip-hop thats what it was built on. ANALOG samples from VINYL. if you dont care about that sound then do whatever the ffff u want

if you think any other than that, slice youre throat and throw away the fruity loops and reason

Well he was talking about both, but the points he made about stock sounds were not really what we were arguing about as those points were well taken, but he did say that it was 2wice as hard to make the music he made with the mpc using software.

A decent 24bit soundcard will not be outperformed by an mpc.
Sample into an emu0404 for example.
Do the same with the mpc, and guess what?......You would have to use a wave editor to disect the differances that are barely noticable even with carefull listening.

Then when to no surprise when you import the sample into you vsti sampler there is no quality loss.

Then once a compressor, and some eq is thrown on, that .000001% differance is completely undetectable.

The reason to argue this point is not so we can beat out chest, and say "hey I'm right, and your wrong", but if the audio quality, and swing are important factors in buying an mpc then your wasting your time, and money.
Get one if it improves your workflow, and creativity, but if your comfortable with your current sequencer then buy some monitors, new vsti, or something that will actually help improve your sound quality.

Last edited:
TINY MONTANA said:
This Vid is good for software users that make hip hop beats with those funny snares and synth sounds.[/I]

THANK YOU!!!! That was what the video was pretty much directed towards lol! This had nothing to do with every single one of the types of hip-hop music. I was more coming from the aspect of the "golden age" "traditional" style of hip-hop. The likes of DJ Premier, Pete Rock, Large Professor, Tribe Called Quest and so forth. That pretty much excludes today's down-south sound, the west coast sound and so forth (which are all respected styles of hip-hop/rap music). This video was in no form of disrespect towards anybody's style or ways they like to work.

I should've been a lot more detailed when I spoke. But, I pretty much was explaining to the people who WANT to make the traditional golden age style of hip-hop WHY they might not be getting the sound they're trying to get. While I SAID it can be done with software... I explained that it'll definitely need to be TWEAKED. Drums would need to be sampled, rather than stock drums. Vinyl is a tradition for boom-bap sample-based producers.

THOSE were pretty much the people I was speaking to. Why the hell would I be telling a more mainstream styled, or new-age experimental, or down-south producer to sample from vinyl, build their own dirty warm sounding drumkits and etc????? Exactly.... it's not directed towards them

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
I didn't read all this thread I'll just get to some key points.

1. Who is this guy, what has he done. If he's not at least bigger than me, what can he tell me?

2. Clean drums dominate hip hop right now. For all of this millineum, this is why it's no longer nessesary to get breakbeats, 90% of you don't understand, my stock drums knock in clubs while you overcompress those vinyl drums to get that lil' bit of undistinguished knock. Other producers like your sh*t but rappers don't want them. Fans ain't listenin. The reason why Primos not as relevant in 2007 as Shawty Redd. Real talk.

3. There's no difference in the sound of either. He admitted to using stock drums in reason and analog vinyl samples in the MPC. I could redo the whole vid loading analog vinyl samples in Reason and stock drums in MPC and counterprove the entire point.

4. WTF can he hear thru those rinky dink computer speakers he's using?

5. This argument will go on forever because people are too dumb to know digital sound is digital sound. That mixer and M-Box he ran the MPC thru while using samples from vinyle will give it a different sound than stock drums on reason straight thru a soundcard, but you gotta be a dumb MF to not know why.

5. If he used Optical or SPDIF outs from both an MPC and his computer, used the same samples from both programs, he would get precisely the same sound from both. This is fact, make all the videos you want. Digital = digital the same as 2+2=4.

6. I'm not in defence of anything, I own it all, it's just annoying that you guys spend all this time thinking buying something new makes your sh*t sound better. That's why most of your sh*t is garbage now. 90% of the time when I see an unknown producer with over $2000 worth of sh*t, their music sounds like it's off of a casio. Learn to use what you got, that's all you need. Don't let some nikka in a lil' ass apartment with a MPC1000 and Reason tell you sh*t. Don't let me with my numerous credits and movie scores tell you sh*t. Look up actual factual documents that will prove everything I'm saying correct, then go make a got damn beat. Why is y'all taking advice from random nikkas who making assumptions based on their entry level experiences with reason and the new king of hardware the oh so unattainable production savior...the MPC1000 :rolleyes:

7. Nobodies "Making sure hip hoppers can't afford equipment". It's priced around the work that goes into it. Nobody makes Motifs $3,000 so that people can't buy them. And a real software producer's not using his moms computer. You're investing in something powerful enough to run programs as flawlessly as hardware runs. And vice versa. So my new sh*t is can't no nikka with anything less than an 88 key workstation, MV 8000, or MPC 4000 tell me sh*t. If ya sh*t got flash memory you're playing with toys.

(sigh).... this is probably gonna be a waste of my time, because you seem like some average a$$hole trying to bash on anything possible. but here...

1. I'm just ME. Somebody who's passionate about hip-hop music and the culture as a whole. What could I possibly tell you??? Well... look at it this way.... MAYBE NOTHING! Is Talk Shows for everybody? No... some people are comfortable with not worrying about other people's problems. Are Chick flicks for everybody? Hell no. I could come up with a whole lot more examples. But, my point it.... just because something's available to view... doesn't always mean that it was MEANT for YOU

2. I know this. I'm not one of the people who follow all the trends of society, fashion nor music. I produce what I PERSONALLY feel. And there's plenty of fanbases out there who still love the same style that I'm into. It may not be as popular anymore... but I could give a **** less.

3. I didn't realize what I had said until I uploaded the video already. The drums in Reason, actually WEREN'T stock sounds. They were actually from an old drum kit that I bought off the net. I didn't feel the need to go back and record and change that sentence lol... so **** it

4. I hear what I hear... let me repeat... I HEAR. Plus, I use great studio headphones.

5. I'm not talking about the technical sound quality. I'm talking about the FEEL!!!

6. Irrelevant to what the point I was making.

7. Irrelevant to what the point I was making. This wasn't about your materialistic views... period

So yeah.... call me a nobody, judge me for what your standards on which and how much equipment I should have, and everything else that you can think of. Like many others... you missed the ENTIRE point of what I was saying and made into some "he ain't ****" debate. I don't know you... so I'm not going to waste time trying to criticize, like you can't help but to do.

I've worked hard for everything I own... and everything that I can do... and I'm proud of myself for my achievements. At the end of the day... that's all that matters.... Peace & God bless.

Last edited:
^^^This ain't about you, don't try to hit me with the hip hop underdog route, I am the hip hop underdog. It's not about the equipment. That's my point. The same way you use "good headphones' with absolutely no dynamic range and make sick music is the same way people can make sick music without ever touching an MPC.

You ain't been around here but 4 posts, I look like an @$$hole to anybody up here with 4 posts, when I'm speaking on them, you don't know me, and I don't know you. If you follow the whole thread, you'll realize it ain't about you, it's about the MPC dicc ryders who run around here like ya music's garbage if you don't use one. You just wasted your time explaining yourself when nobody was even thinking about you in general, just the falsifications in your vid that someone else chose to post.

If anyone's the "@$$hole bashing on everything positive" it's people who start threads like these. You got an MPC, so it's cool to agree in a thread that says you need an MPC to make good music(I know that's not your words), but what would you say if you ran across a thread saying "nomatter how good headphones are, you can't mix with them, you need $1000 Monitors". Or a thread saying "MPC 1000s and 500s are inferior to other models". Then you'd feel the need to defend your way of creating music as you just did in above post.

I own an MPC, these threads piss me off because they're misleading to the thousands of viewers who now think they gotta go out and buy an MPC just to make good sounding music.

Take the time to understand where this thread was headed and quit thinking your of any importance or relevance to the thread beyond page 1. Nobody's thinking bout you.

I can't speak for everybody, but before you think this is an "FP vs. You" or "Hardware vs. Software" or even "opinion vs. opinion" thing. It's none of the above. Just "fact vs. fiction".

Nomatter who says otherwise, even if the pope says otherwise, 2+2 is always gonna equal 4. 16bit 44.1kHz digital audio will always be 16/44.1 digital audio.

If you say 2+2=5 there is no "right or wrong based opn opinion", just absolute 100% incorrectivity. No disrespect to you fam, I'm aware that you beleived there was a difference in sound, but the difference comes from a million things.

Your playback quality while running reason could be poorer depending on if you use direct audio/mme/asio, and what drivers you use(won't effect the quality of the rendered sound). The mixer you ran your vinyl and MPC thru could give you what you conceive as a "richer, better sound", but none of this is coming from your MPC 1000 itself. Fact.

Different if you're talking about older drum machines with filters like the MPC60 or ASR. But 100% digital Audio is 100% Digital Audio compromisation gives it a different sound, but that can come from a million different things, but not the hardware itself.
I'll end this with my original statement to you. But I'm sure these are "words of an @$$hole" too? I don't just come up here startin sh*t, I correct misinformation. Your video was full of it, read the thread and realize dudes like BenL(who comes back as Dansmith, X-Pert, and whoever)fed off it and led to that post I made.

My intentions weren't to offend, but inform, quit being sensitive.

Last edited:
^^^This ain't about you, don't try to hit me with the hip hop underdog route, I am the hip hop underdog. It's not about the equipment. That's my point. The same way you use "good headphones' with absolutely no dynamic range and make sick music is the same way people can make sick music without ever touching an MPC.

You ain't been around here but 4 posts, I look like an @$$hole to anybody up here with 4 posts, when I'm speaking on them, you don't know me, and I don't know you. If you follow the whole thread, you'll realize it ain't about you, it's about the MPC dicc ryders who run around here like ya music's garbage if you don't use one. You just wasted your time explaining yourself when nobody was even thinking about you in general, just the falsifications in your vid that someone else chose to post.

If anyone's the "@$$hole bashing on everything positive" it's people who start threads like these. You got an MPC, so it's cool to agree in a thread that says you need an MPC to make good music(I know that's not your words), but what would you say if you ran across a thread saying "nomatter how good headphones are, you can't mix with them, you need $1000 Monitors". Or a thread saying "MPC 1000s and 500s are inferior to other models". Then you'd feel the need to defend your way of creating music as you just did in above post.

I own an MPC, these threads piss me off because they're misleading to the thousands of viewers who now think they gotta go out and buy an MPC just to make good sounding music.

Take the time to understand where this thread was headed and quit thinking your of any importance or relevance to the thread beyond page 1. Nobody's thinking bout you.

I'll end this with my original statement to you. But I'm sure these are "words of an @$$hole" too? I don't just come up here startin sh*t, I correct misinformation. Your video was full of it, read the thread and realize dudes like BenL(who comes back as Dansmith, X-Pert, and whoever)fed off it and led to that post I made.

My intentions weren't to offend, but inform, quit being sensitive.

Here's what you don't understand. Either you didn't watch the video and assumed something.... or you didn't truly listen and assumed something. I SAID THAT I'M TIRED OF SOFTWARE USERS DISSING HARDWARE USERS... AND I'M TIRED OF HARDWARE USERS DISSING SOFTWARE USERS!!!!!! MUST I SAY THAT OVER, and over, and over and over and over in order for ya'll to get that in ya'lls thick ass heads????

I didn't tell NOBODY to get an MPC to make good music LOL! And in no shame or form, do I believe that either. I'm not a biased dude! I love Reason AND I love the MPC. I personally prefer the MPC when I make boom-bap, sample chopped beats.... but that doesn't mean it can't be done on Reason. That's just MY preferences!

I don't like hardware dickriders...
and
I don't like software dickriders....

I don't like dickriders period! lol....

And I never sat here and said that one was better than the other. I didn't say "people were thinking about me". BUT THIS ****IN' THREAD WAS STARTED OFF OF SOMEBODY POSTING MY VIDEO!!!!! AND....... YOU HAD A LONG ASS LIST OF QUESTIONS ABOUT ME!!!!!!! So, who's the hipocrite with that statement?????

Whatever man. I ain't sensitive... I'm just PASSIONATE about my craft. Call it an underdog ploy if you want to. I gives a ****... and I'm sure you ain't even skilled enough to be correcting every damn thing anyway. If you are... then I'll just see you at the top.

You're right.... I've only posted 4 times in this forum. And truthfully.... it seems like it's full of ****. So, this is definitely my last time steppin' up in here. Peace

See how you keep using the word "I" again, it's not about you.

You didn't truly read my post and "assumed something".

Again, it won't about you, my remarks were to the Hardware diccryders in this thread, for the millionth time, it won't about you, it was the direction they tookthe thread. In my last post I even put in parenthesis(you're not the one saying this stuff). But the MPC diccryders on this thread saw you vid as saying MPCs are needed to make good hip hop and ran with it. I was correcting them and in the process had to disect your video. If you wanna be mad at someone for misinterperating your sh*t be mad at them.

Don't let this B.S. thread turn you off from FP, stick around and check out more than this 1 B.S. threadthat wasn't caused by your video, but caused by MPC diccryders using your statements as ammo in their software war.

Until you've been around here for more than 4 posts you won't realize hardware vs. software threads are a 3 time a week thing up here. This one didn't start off hardware vs. software, but was turned into it. I see your point, others didn't and turned it into what they turned it into.

Then you call me the "materialistic @$$hole" and overlook the group saying "you can't make a beat on something you use to get on the net with". Makes sense. I'm not the enemy, but because I was opinionated about your post, you wanna paint me out to be. Do ya thing.

Last edited:
Back