Controlling hardware : what's the best sequencer top read midi files

Modern-Pickle

Hi,
I'm looking for a hardware synth that can read midi files and command hardware synths with it.

Exactly, here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1-I'm composing the bass part in Reason, using a software synth. I then want to export the midi file for that bass part and have it loaded in a sequencer. Then have that sequencer to "shoot" that midi file into a hardware synth. To be more precise, the hardwaye synth is a Roland SH2 (and yeah, I'm aware that I will need a retrofit/Kenton box for that).

i know I can do that with an MPC and Mascine. I have to questions regarding this. Are all models of MOC and Mascine able to do that?

Also, I don't need the pads. I won't produce beats. I just need to read midi files. So are there any cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!

I would recommend using software to send the MIDI while recording the audio. With such a configuration you could also run some sequenced audio into the filter.

Thanks for your answer.

The problem is that I'm familiar with Reason and there's no Midi out in Reason. So I would have to move to Live for that. That sucks a little, but I recognized that is is probably the best idea.

The thing I'm not sure about with that kind of set up is about wheter or ot it works well to use Live to controlled an externenal analog synth and record it at the same time. I guess it woks, but how well, I don't know. I'm a bit scared about latency issue since it all have to go troug a Kenton device that translates Midi to CV/Gate.

You can ReWire Reason into other programs such as Live (I use Reason within Cubase all the time) the MIDI you will be using is just going to be basic note on/off, so it should be relatively straight forward but without MIDI control over the parameters that make up SH-2 patches you will want to record the audio, latency should not be to much of a problem.

I have read some shit about controlling analog synths directly from Reason but I think this is dependent upon MOTU hardware capable of outputting the necessary voltage or some shit and I don't know much about it.

Midi gear and computers

I just wanted to share some experience, I love midi gear, and as a lot of people I went for computers and all that pseudo midi stuff, for some time since it appeared to be the best move. The thing is, with some years past I have felt some nostalgia and started to buy midi gear again, that brought a lot of problems since in a while I was struggling to get things right.

Be aware that messing with midi from computers is all a mess, since info is sent in packets, and apparently no one had the decency of giving midi its importance. The result is a very in-acurate timing for the notes it is receiving or sending.

So, I had to spend some money buying decent gear and hardware sequencers again. Also a good midi synchronizer tied to the DAW's audio sampling rate.

Making a story short, get a good hardware sequencer and a good sync. And hopefully good instruments to play with.

Best regards.

Back