Controller for sampling

dc0usa

So I've finally got myself learning Reason 4.0. I now know how to lay down drum tracks and synth tracks, but I'm finding it extremely painstaking to draw each note into the program, since I always have to go back and match up each note to the correct beat, not to mention that i always lose my ideas in the process. In order to make my life easier, I've decided to buy a midi controller. I don't play the keys so I'm planning to stick to the pad based controllers. Does anyone have any recommendations for what controller to get and why? I think I'm mostly going to be sampling, and some composing whenever i get a catchy tune in my head. Also, I realised that I cant save my work as mp3 files in Reason. Do I have to get another program for this? Thanks a lot in advance.

man i'm signin on when you find some info let me know. in the same canoe with reason 3! i'm used to sequencin like air with fruity - and reason is a pain in the *** - but reason's instruments bring new life to the game so i need like the same info

and on top o that - What's the story with these compact controllers that have keys but don't play internal voices?!? Dumbest **** I eva heard. Guess life is THAT much a business where for a set o instruments on a 25-key f*n piece o thing you gotta pay like $300 more outta pocket (small rantin) -

so i kinda need to know the difference myself between the MIDI controllers that don't play music standalone and the actual KEYBOARDS that work like KEYBOARDS because i thought every keyboard shoulda been able to play on its own, i hope someone finds this post n good luck 2 ya-

You should research pad controllers, i've heard they work. I heard thought the grapevine that you can also use a keyboard and trigger samples and have the ability to use more chops. It might just be a myth though, who knows.

3D Beats said:
You should research pad controllers, i've heard they work. I heard thought the grapevine that you can also use a keyboard and trigger samples and have the ability to use more chops. It might just be a myth though, who knows.

spoooooooooooooooooooky

slowness

some o yall 4give some o us for not startin out music production in 95. damn you get lynched 4 askin questions.

i know regular keyboards can record midi AND audio, switchin back n forth in settins n stuff. which is why i wonder to myself the existence o midi controllers without their own sound, i just found out this info through my own quest 4 knowledge. crazy, i just downloaded the bome mouse keyboard online n started workin in reason within minutes, all off laptop. iono preference 4 some... unless you need all that extra midi controllin through hands-on knob work, it just seems like basics to get a regular keyboard, route the *****, n then just do ya midi work AND record some keyboard audio on the side. stupid to me but them lil mini controllers are real compact though and they give extra control over tweaks.

listen, ignorant f**** as well as the real peoples on this site, i'm lookin into external controllers/keyboards too, n i DO f*** with the keys a bit, so i second the notion on askin 4 advice on controllers.

i don't know THAT much about pad controllers, i do know that m-audio's got some products in keyboard controlling that are prolly at least decent for use, to me a keyboard gives more flexibility than a pad controller, but it's preference ya know (all this here to the dude postin this thread)

n to the ignorant people, it's just a thread. we come on here to learn ****. keep ya pants on damn.

The main reasons people are not giving much info is that their is so much info about this. Secondly, this really is very newbieish stuff here. It's simple, find the type of controller (pad, or keys, etc). If it's keys, how many are comfortable? Then hook it up through usb/midi and go to work. I honestly can't think of any reason why this would be confusing after doing the slightest amount of research. All programs now are made to easily work with pretty much any type of controller through usb, every controller is made to easily work with midi, obvioiusly. Their isn't alot of guesswork outside of options. And options are 100% personal, from budget, to what suits you the best, etc.

Go to Guitar Center or somewhere where people are being paid to answer BS "questions" like this. You are not asking anything. You are rambling on about how you feel midi controllers are pointless and what not. People buy 25 key midi keyboards because they do not take up space. I have an 88 key midi controller because it was 1/4 of the price of comparable "keyboards that play sounds" .

You didn't start this thread, you hijacked it. So don't complain that no one is answering your "question" that you seem to have already answered yourself.

This is extreme newbie type of stuff, the type of thing google or wikipedia can give you a fantastic answer for. But I guess its easier to argue on a forum.

Whiteboy954 said:
Go to Guitar Center or somewhere where people are being paid to answer BS "questions" like this. You are not asking anything. You are rambling on about how you feel midi controllers are pointless and what not. People buy 25 key midi keyboards because they do not take up space. I have an 88 key midi controller because it was 1/4 of the price of comparable "keyboards that play sounds" .

You didn't start this thread, you hijacked it. So don't complain that no one is answering your "question" that you seem to have already answered yourself.

This is extreme newbie type of stuff, the type of thing google or wikipedia can give you a fantastic answer for. But I guess its easier to argue on a forum.

seconded

dc0usa said:
So I've finally got myself learning Reason 4.0. I now know how to lay down drum tracks and synth tracks, but I'm finding it extremely painstaking to draw each note into the program, since I always have to go back and match up each note to the correct beat, not to mention that i always lose my ideas in the process. In order to make my life easier, I've decided to buy a midi controller. I don't play the keys so I'm planning to stick to the pad based controllers. Does anyone have any recommendations for what controller to get and why? I think I'm mostly going to be sampling, and some composing whenever i get a catchy tune in my head. Also, I realised that I cant save my work as mp3 files in Reason. Do I have to get another program for this? Thanks a lot in advance.

for pad controller id say try the akai mpd24 or you could try the m-audio axiom 25 midi keyboard it has 8 pads on it.

Back