Considering a Sampler

david lee

one f0rum under house
I have been thinking about picking up a sampler for my setup for awhile now and i'm about ready to make the move. what do you guys recommend as a good sampler for DJ purposes. i don't want to spend more than 400 tops...i'd like to keep it as close to 300 if possible.

Thanks guys

That's exactly what i was about to say... get the 303... it's sooo darn good!
go Roland go!

300 bucks isn't bad, i found it for 299 on guitarcenter.com...you guys have any other suggestions of places to look at these online? Also, what other competitors are there out there that maybe you've used or whatever. i'll probaly go with the Boss (it's labeled as boss, but it's Roland) but i'd like to make an educated purchase.

Thanks for the help again guys!

i am most likely gonna get a sp303 soon. i think i saw them for as low as $250 (not sure where). i was looking into that and the korg es-1, it would be very nice to have a step sequencer and drum machine too (korg), but i heard the drums sound crappy and the effects are inferior to the boss. that memory expansion is very cool, and getting the boss will compliment my roland mixer very well.

Should check out the Red Sound DJ sampler, no idea about the price but is way better suiter to DJing. The SP-202 and 303 are fun(ie: easy to use like Fisher Price), but very limiting although theprice and quality are good though. Don't even think of using it for production though!! Undercurrent, I've had a SU700 for a year and a half now if you had any questions about it

Yeah, the SP-303 sure gives you bang for your buck. Stacks of effects, more than enough memory once you get a smart media card, and a passable pattern sequencer for sketching out (very rough) ideas or storing loops you dump from your PC or groovebox. I love my SP-303, and will probably always keep around even if I get a "real" sampler. It's nice and portable and is set up for sweet live triggering/tweaking.

Competitors would be: Korg ES-1, Yamaha SU-200 (the 700's more of an advanced loop construction tool and out of your price range) or the uhh Zoom Sampletrak. Since we've scratched off the sampletrak after seeing the brand name that leaves us with the Korg and Yamaha.

I pretty much guarantee that anyone comparing the FX between these 3 will see that Roland kills it. Boss has been making top-shelf effects forever, and makes some pretty good choices about what to include (although a highpass and a bandpass filter would have been a nice replacement to the "vinyl sim" and "radio tuning" crap). Roland = 26 FX, Yamaha = 6 FX, Korg = 11. The Roland has 8 note polyphony, yamaha 6, and korg doesn't come out and say on their site.

The korg's sequencer is more familiar, as it's got our beloved TR-X0X step deal, but if you've got any other gear you're probably better off dumping sequences from that. Yamaha has no sequencer, but it does have a "sync all samples" function which theoretically saves you some tweakin bpms individually, but I don't know about you guys, I generally don't load up 6 loops and try and stretch them to the same size.

Anyways, just a quick list of pros and cons as I've seen em. The SP-303 may not be a studio sampler, but it was never intended to be. It's at its best when triggered from a sequencer or live, and is a versatile multi-fx box. Cheers!
-mj-

the ES-1 (KORG) seems pretty neat
if you can add osme bucks get the SU700 (yamaha) or if you want t go all the way get the RS7000 (yamaha as well, much more expensive)

yo doods ..

where can i get a roland sp-808 ...?

i know these are old but thats wat i want . .. . . . .

n e ideas . . .plz . . .

thanx in advance , . . . .Courier lime green

Check ebay, there are always seem to be at least a couple up for grabs.
-mj-

thanks ive checked out and tested a su700 and unless i can get an mpc2000xl or a sp808ex for a decent price ill go for the su700. im leaning towards saving for a bit to buy the akai or roland because i want something that transposes samples too.

Yeah the roland sp-808 is hella cool. (even if it may b old)
..but im seriously considering the akai mpc3000 (think thats right) i aint used it, but many ppl recomend it, and its a far bit cheaper, and easier to find . .

The cheapest sp-808 i've seen is for bout $400 ..
(new they are like £850 ..)

The cheapest MPC i've seen is £249 ..
(think its the 3000 model..)

Any thoughts any one ..?

what do people think of the ASR-X Pro? i was thinkin of gettin the rs7000......but i dont have the money for that......so i'm going to get something else for now.....and a couple of years later.....maybe get it. or probably the triton....but for now.....maybe the asr-x pro.

but if not.....what other all in one should i get?

i can get the asr-x pro for $799.99

Check it out first

What up?

I would think twice before I make that move.Look on yahoo.They have a users group for the AXR pro.I was browsing through there and I saw numerous complaints about the OS kept crashing and alot of programming bugs.Plus the pads are cheezy and cheap.After beating on them for a while they will probably start breaking.The good thing about it is that it has internal sounds and room for expansion boards.I own the SU700 and I`m happy with it.But it does not have sounds internally.I get my sounds from a Roland sound module.If I were you I`d get the su700 which is about $600 or less right now.Then I would get a EMU sound module which are expandable.You probably can get one for $700.You were talking about getting a RS7000.That is several hundred dollars more.Good luck

my boy got the ASR-X Pro....he got it when it first came out....so he's had it for about 2 years......he hasn't had one problem with it. and he still loves it. and makes some phat joints. (hiphop, triphop).

i heard the su700 is mostly for LIVE and dance work. and that when you sample something.....like it doesn't break the sample down across the pads? something like that............

but again....i'm into HIPHOP.....looking for an all-in-one sampler, for studio......not for live or anything. can anyone help me out? thanks........

Trust Me!!!

I make hip hop tracks with the su700 all the time.The su700 is terrible as a live piece of gear.It takes too long to load even with a zip drive.It also not as good as the mpc when it comes to midi control.It`s perfect for me because it`s a drummachine and sampler in one.It just doesn`t have sounds inside.All you need is the su700 and a keyboard/sound module and you are straight.The su700 won`t allow you to lay a sample across the pads.But you can take the same sample,copy it on each of the pads at a different pitch and flip it like that.Alot of cats slept on the su700 but it is a tight sampler and very easy to operate.It is virtually a all in one box because it has a sequencer,effects,sampling all in one.Check it out first though.peace

Back