Command Station Owners Enter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samplecrazy could enlighten us about a sampling command station which was on blueprints in E-mu... but that's another story. shame they folded that idea.

can someone explain what exactly i can do with the mp-7 and emu e5000 ultra sampler? can i use the samples off my computer to make songs or not? using these 2 hardware pieces.

well, obvisously you have to transfer the samples into 5000 via SCSI or discs. Then you will set each sample into a different midi track and then through MP midiout's you will sequence those samples.
that's the short version.

1005 said:
well, obvisously you have to transfer the samples into 5000 via SCSI or discs. Then you will set each sample into a different midi track and then through MP midiout's you will sequence those samples.
that's the short version.
Thanks.....well so I'm not really stuck with just the ROM sounds that the mp-7 uses if I do that right? That's what I want to know because that would be really limiting, I don't really want to spend $200+ on roms. Also will I need a mixer to use with these two hardware?

Last edited:
Well, that depends on how you're recording? If you have enough audio inputs on your soundcard, just plug em both in etc.. midi up those 2 pieces so that cubase or whatever gives the "start" info to your MP, MP controls both rom and 5000 samplesounds, and there ya go...

but just to give a tip, if you can max out your MP, it's worth it.. i plugged mine with protozoa, beat gardens and protean drums. i'd add more if it was possible. the key is just to enhance your sonical space with samples and rom sounds, to make it more alive.

1005 said:
If i remember correctly, you could actually burn your own ROM's with the E-mu E-4X? And you could use that ROM in any command stations.
And there was that Emu keyboard that could hold Emu rom's plus it could sample, too bad it didn't have a sequencer... i guess it was mad expensive cos i haven't seen many of those around, even the rack E-4 was like 5000€ back a few years ago..

Yep, bang on.

The E4, which now sells on ebay for about $500, can be used to burn the data onto roms for the modules and command stations.

The sampler keyboards you are talking about were the e-synths range. They could sample and house roms. BUT, they were sequencers too.

Samplecraze said:
The sampler keyboards you are talking about were the e-synths range. They could sample and house roms. BUT, they were sequencers too.

THEY WERE!? oh god damn, i saw one of those on sale some time ago, and i think it could hold more ROM's than a MP/XP/XL too.... ARGH!
should have bought it. i browsed some reviews but didn't find a mention of the sequencer so just let it pass... damn.

I am trying to send a recorded song from the mp-7 out to pro tools and everytime I try to mute out tracks to send one track at a time I hit record in pro tools and the whole song plays on one track in pro tools. now when I send a pattern out the same way it works fine.Im able to record one or two trax at a time. is their something im doing wrong?

ROMIL said:
I am trying to send a recorded song from the mp-7 out to pro tools and everytime I try to mute out tracks to send one track at a time I hit record in pro tools and the whole song plays on one track in pro tools. now when I send a pattern out the same way it works fine.Im able to record one or two trax at a time. is their something im doing wrong?

I use to do it that way to. It is easier to just go into pattern mode, sequence your beat, and then use song mode. It is way easier to program the track mutes with song mode instead of manually pressing the track mutes on the fly.

Just lay down your 4 or 8 bar loop or whatever and then when you are in song mode, use the same pattern for the song, but every few measures of whatever you want, you can hit the button for track mute to activate, or deactivate that part for the song.

Then what i do is, mix it down within the command station, and record the output with cubase as a stereo wav file. This is the easy way to me unless you are trying to record each track as it own in protools. If that is the case, record each track as a 4 or 8 bar and then use protools to clip your track mutes in

youngjboy said:
I use to do it that way to. It is easier to just go into pattern mode, sequence your beat, and then use song mode. It is way easier to program the track mutes with song mode instead of manually pressing the track mutes on the fly.

Just lay down your 4 or 8 bar loop or whatever and then when you are in song mode, use the same pattern for the song, but every few measures of whatever you want, you can hit the button for track mute to activate, or deactivate that part for the song.

Then what i do is, mix it down within the command station, and record the output with cubase as a stereo wav file. This is the easy way to me unless you are trying to record each track as it own in protools. If that is the case, record each track as a 4 or 8 bar and then use protools to clip your track mutes in

word. i record my stuff in beat mode, as loops and make the song in cubase..

As far as on tha mp-7 I lay my trax down tha same way u do. but what im trying to figure out is when I trying to record the song in pro tools. like I tried to record two trax at a time so I had to mute out the other trax so they dont get recorded in. and as soon as I hit record on the transport in pro tools the whole song was unmuted on the mp-7. but when I put the mp-7 in pattern mode I can do it that way but then I have to do all this editing instead of just recording the song in tha way I want.

ROMIL said:
As far as on tha mp-7 I lay my trax down tha same way u do. but what im trying to figure out is when I trying to record the song in pro tools. like I tried to record two trax at a time so I had to mute out the other trax so they dont get recorded in. and as soon as I hit record on the transport in pro tools the whole song was unmuted on the mp-7. but when I put the mp-7 in pattern mode I can do it that way but then I have to do all this editing instead of just recording the song in tha way I want.

I'm not sure I follow you, but I use cubase to export my audio. Are you trying to lay all the tracks seperately in Pro Tools? If you are in song mode, you can't record individual tracks because everything is being played as one song sequence, and the MP-7 is sending out on 1 left and 1 right stereo channel. The only thing you could do that i could think of right this moment without it on front of me is just record a 4 or 8 bar section and do all the cutting and pasting in pro tools.

Recording in protools

ROMIL said:

I had a recording class that centered around protools...just learning the basics. I used my xl7...I had to record each individual track using midi clock to keep it synced...editing after tracks were loaded...I went back to using my digital recorder after that class lol but I'm considering investing in an mbox. Using the digital recorder I stay in pattern mode pretty much and edit that way (for now).

BMac
www.soundclick.com/bmacsolmuzik

I think im not synced right in pro tools because the timing is off. this mbox is worth it I guess I just got to figure out the editing and syncing part. I wish I could go to a class!

ROMIL said:

dont knwo if this will help..but a good way to get you song tracked out into any Multirack recorder..

is goto Midi then turn the knob over to midi enable, then turn off the track you want muted..and then record the one you want..

its a long process but it works great..hope this helped :cheers:

thanks I figured out that I cant record in song mode as I would in pattern mode, so I basically have to do it as you just mentioned.

I want to ask a similar question...I use the PX-7 and I want to record each track simultaneously into Sonar on individual audio tracks if it's possible. I know I can do it through midi but I don't really think its worth the extra step being that im gonna still need to convert it to audio to make eq/fx adjustments. So is there any equipment/adapters/mixers or whatever that would allow that to happen? It seems like it would make the work so much simpler than having to make all kinds of beat drops and changes within sonar using a mouse.

aziam said:
I want to ask a similar question...I use the PX-7 and I want to record each track simultaneously into Sonar on individual audio tracks if it's possible. I know I can do it through midi but I don't really think its worth the extra step being that im gonna still need to convert it to audio to make eq/fx adjustments. So is there any equipment/adapters/mixers or whatever that would allow that to happen? It seems like it would make the work so much simpler than having to make all kinds of beat drops and changes within sonar using a mouse.

Well, when i track into Cubase, it will only record audio of what is being played. With that being said, you could just mute the tracks the other tracks out. It will take multiple passes, but you can do it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back