Best Stand-alone Drum machine + Sampler + Sequencer + Synth

303TB

Beer with me, I mean bear with me as I am just in the question stage. I am looking to do live performances with a bassist (me), a guitar player, and the best live-sounding, sample, sequence, and synth, stand-alone drum machine.

I would imagine it would be best to have a stand-alone piece of equipment first. I'd like to have the option to use my own kick-drum, snare, HH, etc. sounds if need to.

I didn't know there are different levels of "good" sequencers. I don't even understand how a "bad" one would compare: or what makes a good one.

When looking at Drum machines today, the salesman told me the MPC had the best "Live" feel/sound to the drum sequencer. I debated between the MPC 500 and the Maschine. Now after reading through some of these posts on this forum, it looks like the things I mention above are the things that would best suit my needs.

I not sure if any of you are familiar with a band called GodFlesh but I think they make alot of use of a drum machine in their songs.

Example:
YouTube - Godflesh, Veins (best version is from TheSacrificialCake)
In a live performance this song has been done on a drum machine and with a drummer but the majority of their songs are done by a machine. This is one of the directions I am going.

maschine is just as good as a mpc for live sessions.

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to all of this. Could you please explain what would be a better route and why? I'd greatly appreciate it; or if you have any opinion on something else that is better....

Cheers

Btw, I am interested in doing more of an onstage/live industrial metal band than doing DJ stuff.

So the Maschine has to use a computer to play. AFAIK that is not a stand alone, that requires a PC or MAC to work. That leaves the Maschine on hold. What Stand-Alone drum machine does not use anything but itself to send a signal to an amp and play?

MV-8000/8800
MPC 5000
Yamaha RS-7000

Those are the only three that do what you want in a standalone drum machine.

I'd personally recommend getting the RS-7000 if your strictly using it live.

How does the RS-7000 compare to the Korg EMX or ESX 1 SD ???

I'd prefer the RS over the EMX or ESX. You have more capability with the RS as far as production goes. The EMX is perfect for live tweaking on the other hand, and also serves as decent synth and sampler. Other then that, it's not really on par with an RS.

the responses in this post are either to vague or are being too overkill.

Dude said he's new.....Point him in the right direction yall! c'mon...

Maschine is dope but it needs a computer to function. You could add a laptop to your setup and use maschine which i believe is acutally pretty common.....BUT....if your gonna go that route you might want to consider getting something like a MPD and reason 5. The choice is yours.

If you want just hardware......nvm the mpc5000 suggestion. That is way to big of a beast for what you want to do and imo is a super buggy/faulty piece of equipment to begin with. MPC5000s are notorious for user problems so steer clear....

If your on the maret for a standalone drum machine id look at a mpc 1000 or if you want something with more outputs (which you probably dont since you said just live prefomances right?) then look into a mpc2500. If you can score a mpc 2000 or the likes for cheap id say jump on it! you want it for what its intended to be a drum machine which means you dont need all the bells and whistles the 5k has.

MV8000s are something too keep an eye out for too......it has probably just as many features as a mpc5000 but can be found on craigslist for like 5 or 6 hundred if your thrifty.

although ive never owned NI maschine, I have owned a mpc1000 and a mpd aswell as owning a mv.

ive used tons of mpc series all across the board.....if all you want is a drum machine and intened to use it for your precussions then any mpc will do.

DONT LET THE GUYS AT GUITAR CENTER RIP YOU OFF! Price matching isnt a courtisty call......its manditory....if you find what you want for cheaper then GC has it advertised they have to price match it. They hate me at GC because i always walk in there knowing exactly what i want and exactly how much it cost. Think a those guys like car dealers.....they want commission dont let them sell you a dream.

WATCH ME using some of the equip i mentioned here www.youtube.com/statixx503

hope this helps.

statixx.

the responses in this post are either to vague or are being too overkill.

Dude said he's new.....Point him in the right direction yall! c'mon...

THANK YOU STATICXX!!

Maschine is dope but it needs a computer to function. You could add a laptop to your setup and use maschine which i believe is acutally pretty common.....BUT....if your gonna go that route you might want to consider getting something like a MPD and reason 5. The choice is yours.

Just to clarify first, what is an MPD?
EDIT: ok, i just seen and read a little on these; fairly cheap btw :)

I seen a brief demo of Reason from when I was looking at ReBirth. With Reason you can customize your own drum sounds right?

So if I had an ?MPD? I would also need software to run it: and on a laptop or PC, correct?
EDIT: yes, i think I would

Probably something I would shy away from unless I could really tweak out the drum kit sounds.

If you want just hardware......nvm the mpc5000 suggestion. That is way to big of a beast for what you want to do and imo is a super buggy/faulty piece of equipment to begin with. MPC5000s are notorious for user problems so steer clear....

Cool, thanks for the warning!

If your on the market for a standalone drum machine id look at a mpc 1000 or if you want something with more outputs (which you probably dont since you said just live prefomances right?) then look into a mpc2500. If you can score a mpc 2000 or the likes for cheap id say jump on it! you want it for what its intended to be a drum machine which means you dont need all the bells and whistles the 5k has.

I almost picked an MPC 1000 that night while at GC. I just need to program the drum tracks to how I work (i image first off that there will be 3 or 4 different parts that need to be combined together) the song and then all i need to do is run it as my "drum-player" while I play my bass and do vocals. Speaking of which, where would I look for vocal effects?

With the MPC 1000, can this sorta double like a 4 Track machine? Say for instance if I wanted to lay a bass track throughout the entire song, Could I plug in a mic to the 1/4" jack and record my bass along with the drum track?

MV8000s are something too keep an eye out for too......it has probably just as many features as a mpc5000 but can be found on craigslist for like 5 or 6 hundred if your thrifty.

Thanks

although ive never owned NI maschine, I have owned a mpc1000 and a mpd aswell as owning a mv.

ive used tons of mpc series all across the board.....if all you want is a drum machine and intended to use it for your percussions then any mpc will do.

I am particular about the sounds of the instruments on the drum kit.

How do i put my own in? Can i use a mic and record it to a storage bank in the 1k? Does it have pre-samples that I can tweak?

DONT LET THE GUYS AT GUITAR CENTER RIP YOU OFF! Price matching isnt a courtisty call......its manditory....if you find what you want for cheaper then GC has it advertised they have to price match it. They hate me at GC because i always walk in there knowing exactly what i want and exactly how much it cost. Think a those guys like car dealers.....they want commission dont let them sell you a dream.

I dig you on this.

WATCH ME using some of the equip i mentioned here
***i can't repost links***

hope this helps.

statixx.

This has helped out a bunch. Wish I could get more responses like this (from the start)

Nice tracks btw! :)

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

From what you can gather what would be the main benefits of the MPD + Reason 5 VS Maschine or vise versa?

Last edited by a moderator:
I own the MPC 500 and I like it. One thing I like is that it's battery powered. It also fits neatly in a standard Netbook case (like 10" or something).... so I take it with me all the time.

Also, with solutions that need computer/laptop.... consider that you will need to have a decent audio interface as well, adding to the cost.

it's not always the best idea to have a do it all machine. synth are like beer, everyone has their own preference. you should get that seperately and sequence it. also if you have a sampler with a sequencer; you've got a drum machine.
finally, there are so many more options once you drop the internal synth or sampler.

Right now, I'm learning Maschine. I also picked up an Alesis SR 16.. I'd like to import the SR 16 drum sounds into the Maschine... either that or try out an MPD or MPC...

Back