ASR10 Playback problem....

J

jnoobiam

Sup everyone.. been awhile since i've posted on here heh. Well just picked up an ASR10 keyboard:victory: my first hardware sampler w00t! Anyways I've been messing around with for almost an hour and I can't seem to get hte playback sounding right... Right now I'm recording stereo from my turntable... when monitoring the input, it sounds perfect... but when I record and play it back, it sounds bad.. the Input is low, and it sounds like the song is slightly being faded in and out.. I recorded the sample dry and turned down all the effects to 0... what could be the problem?

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the manual on page 144-148. go through the steps as the book describes. Since your new to the ASR, try sampling in mono first that way there is less things to go wrong. I assume your using a powered amp or dj mixer connected from the deck(s) to the ASR? You can make input adjustments for sound level on the back of the ASR.

thanks for the suggestions bro.. i'm reading through the manual right now.. as for the input knob on the back... I messed with that last night and still nothing, even turned it all the way up.

And yes i'm using a dj mixer connected to my table to the ASR.

btw after messing around with it last night.. it seems the EDIT button is mashed in and doesn't respond... =( Is there any other way to have access to this function without having to use that button?

Youre going to need to get that EDIT button fixed. Also, there could be some problems with the output amplifier circuits. Check out the forums at http://vintagesynth.com for help. There is a HELP forum and a SAMPLER forum there.

I don't understand though.. The sound, sounds fine when I monitor it. If it sounds good monitoring then shouldn't it sound the same through playback?

What's the best place to get repairs for the ASR10... I've seen part sites for the asr10. Could I perform the repair myself.

There is a business here in Tampa Florida called EPR electronics that repair Ensoniq gear.

I don't understand though.. The sound, sounds fine when I monitor it. If it sounds good monitoring then shouldn't it sound the same through playback?

Not exactly jnoobiam. Pay attention to the "input level". There should be four l.e.d. lights located next to the "Resample/Source Select" button. The "signal" will show yellow when you are getting input into the board, but when the the "peak" begins to glow red, you want to back off until it reaches just below that threshold. While you monitor, it may sound good, but when you decide to record, you may be taking all of the headroom of the 16 bits and then some, creating clipping (distortion). My advice would be to turn your ASR gain knob (on back) all the way down. Turn the dj mixer up to three quarters up in volume and work the gain knob up slowly until you reach the desired level of input into the ASR.

The "edit" button, unfortunately, is one of the main arteries of navigating through the O.S. on the board. Most of your work will be in Edit or Command mode. You can check if the "edit" button responds or not by pressing "command" check the upper left corner of the screen and see if you see "command"....then press "edit" and check to see if "edit" is in the upper left screen. Hopefully, the button is still functional in it's present state.

Last edited:
Thank you unsystematic.. I'm giving your suggestion a try right now.

and it looks like my edit button is damaged.. it won't respond at all, no led indicator or anything. I'll be taking it to a keyboard technician sometime next week... I have it doesen't cost much =/

Back