ASR X Pro as MIDI controller..?

LostProfit

i wondered if i'll be able to use my asr-x pro to program my drums...i use an akai s950 to sample and FL 5 to sequence. How would i go about programming the drums into fruity loops? thanks

You can use the X as a MIDI controller no prbs to record in FL, personally I sequence drums on the X as the quantie is great then save as a ALLSEQUENCE and load into FL

twinings said:
You can use the X as a MIDI controller no prbs to record in FL, personally I sequence drums on the X as the quantie is great then save as a ALLSEQUENCE and load into FL

thanks for the hint, i'll try both.

could you tell me how i should connect the ASR to the 950? and also to the pc :confused:

im guessin i'll need some kind of audio interface but i dont know where to start.

LostProfit said:
thanks for the hint, i'll try both.

could you tell me how i should connect the ASR to the 950? and also to the pc :confused:

im guessin i'll need some kind of audio interface but i dont know where to start.

You would want to MIDI OUT from the X to MIDI in on the 950 I presume you want to play samples/sequence the 950 from the X's pads? You'll need to set the track on the X to MIDI out and amtch up bank numbers etc with what you have assigned your samples on the 950.

You can conect the X to your PC via standard MIDI leads but you need onbviously need MIDI connects on your PC soundcard, if you are going depper than that and hoping to sequence both the X and the 950 from the PC then prob you need to use the MIDI THRU on the X then run it to the 950

NB, if you are using the X to trigger MIDI on PC you must change MIDI Settings>Pads Play Local>to OFF, had me scratching my head for w hile I remember.....

thanks...this has been a lot of help

i have two more questions..if you could answer them id be appriciate it.

1. does the ASR X Pro have a note repeat function? i cant seem to find one but im sure alchemist uses not repeat sometimes...maybe the ASR 10 is different?

2. Is there a way to link velocity to an ADSR envelope on the ASR?

thanks so much

OK, theres no note repeat on the ASRX, not sure about the 10, however this is easily recreatable by duplicating the eg snare you want to roll, assigning it to a new pad, setting sample mode to Loop Forward and adjusting loop points to taste, you can do a lot this way.
To answer your other Q, yes, that is possible, theres a good explanantion of it somewhere on teh Yahoo ASRX groups which i strongly recommend joining, some great posts going all the way back to 97 there on the ASRX

ASR X Pro trigger pads

Once i turned local off it worked like a charm! Thanks for the info i was wrecking my brain to figure this out!!!!!!!! Now i can trigger battery and reasons. Side note M-Audio, Midi sport UNO will help a great deal to convert midi to USB.

This was a big help 5 years ago!

Good to see another ASR user, Jerry Flynn. If you have any questions about it, let me know.

Asr-X user right here in the building also! (from Dearborn, Michigan!) I just got a Korg Triton LE a couple nights ago and I'm just now learning how to use it. I have had my ASR-X since around 05, and it's been a blessing to me every since. I've tried to learn everything I can about this machine. I have the black box by the way. I NEED to know now, since I have this Triton Le....how do I hook them up together thru MIDI?!

I HAVE the MIDI cord plugged in between them now, trying to figure out what buttons to press to make them sync, so I can use the Triton's sequencer, to trigger samples I sample from the ASR-X! Or vice versa. Someone please school me on ASR-X MIDI/triggering samples, using other sequencers, vice versa etc etc!!! :)

Back