asr-10

Timbaland and the Neptunes

but unlike seeing who uses a certain synth workstation, the ASR is just a sampler, however people like Timbaland make use of the filters and effects that the ASR are famous for, the others use it because its easy to sequence with and easy to sample with, the ASR-10 along with his computer filled with millions of VSTi plug-ins is Timbaland's secret weapon (he said that himself in a Remix Magazine article about himself)

its basically Fruity Loops, if you can use Fruity Loops easily, and you like the way you can do your melodies, and edit sounds, you like the filters and effects, that's the same as Timbo using the ASR, if you like that about Logic, use Logic, ...

I don't agree with easiest sampler in the world. Nothing beats sampling in the MPC, just hit record and start and you record your sample. WIth an asr you have to select imputs, record, then place a root key, then you have to chop a little different. The ASR sound is one of the best, but user friendlyness needs some help. As far as other producers, Just Blaze used one a long time ago I don't know if he still does, I know the MPC 4000 is his weapon of choice. Then you have Emilie, Dj Babu, more I just can't think of them now.

other producers using the asr-10:

dj muggs, rza, mathematics (u kno "mighty healthy" by ghostface? thats his beat), blockhead (aesop rock beats and an ill instrumental album)

let me give my 2 cents on the asr's user-friendliness....

it is DEFINITELY not as user friendly as the mpc samplers, but once you are used to its ins and outs you will find that it does have a great workflow, which is one of the reasons that many producers dont switch from an asr to a modern sampler.

the sample editing and fx processing are really deep, much more so than most samplers.

the asr has a great sound for several reasons: the a/d converters, the vca, and the filters all add to a certain type of sound coloring that lots of producers like. definitely not the 12-bit coloring of the sp1200 and definitely not the punchy coloring of the modern mpc's, its just a very full and deep sound that you may or may not like. try it out if you know somebody who uses it.

but be warned: you can only buy it used, and ever since kanye and alchemist said in scratch magazine that they use it, prices have skyrocketed. as great a sampler as it is, anything can be overhyped, and i think the hype has driven prices way too high for it to be worth your cash.

if you have fx processing and other studio tools in something such as protools or a similar daw, consider the eps-16+ (which i use), its the precursor to the asr, basically the same thing but without stereo sampling and without as many fx. the filters in the eps-16+ have a different sound and less functionality (they sound great but they arent resonant). this was used by el-p, tru masta, and rza on a few of the 36 chambers beats. the cost is half of the asr's price.

the ASR-10 and the general ensoniq line have a creamy sound to there samplers.

Akai = Same thing in as out
Emu = creamy lows out
Ensoniq = Super Creamy with nuts

ASR-10's are great peices.. but have limitations....
Limitations are good... verry good.

Original unF#@ked redone Starwars was a prime example of limitations. Make the most of whut you have. Not dream of whut you need and never get anything done.

Stoupe, Cool & Dre, DJ Toomp, David Banner (used to), Nottz, and a whole lot others including myself...
If you have no experience with Ensoniq's samplers then I think an MPC would be much more suiting. I know a lot of people who've bought the ASR just cuz Kanye or so and so used it, then sold it cuz they didn't know what the f*ck they was doing.
I've used the MPC-3000 at a friends house just the other day for the first time and I still think that the ASR has the easiest sampler and sequencer. The MPC's sequencer is just funner and the drums sound way more "punchy" when I sample it in the 3000. I'm planning on picking up a 3000 in the future.
Rekon

Producers Who Use The ASR-10:

1. Chad Wes Hamilton
2. Jake One
3. Cool and Dre
4. Neptunes
5. DJ Toomp
6. Alchemist
7. Kanye West
8. The Trackboys
9. Red Spyda
10. Nottz
11. Thayod
12. Timbaland
13. Necro

These are the only producers I know of who use the ASR-10.

underground cat out of LA known by the name of Eligh or "Gandalf".....hes a master at the ASR

porse...he produces with evidence and makes beats for LAment (he produced spell my name by defari) , JOEY CHAVEZ! fool is sick with it. vitamin D........

missdjcoley-cole said:
Producers Who Use The ASR-10:

1. Chad Wes Hamilton
2. Jake One
3. Cool and Dre
4. Neptunes
5. DJ Toomp
6. Alchemist
7. Kanye West
8. The Trackboys
9. Red Spyda
10. Nottz
11. Thayod
12. Timbaland
13. Necro

These are the only producers I know of who use the ASR-10.

Add Opio and K-Os to that list.

****in eligh is sick man. im not really feeling his new album as much as i should but the no more greener grass album with the grouch is supppper dope. i wouldnt mind gettin an asr10 but im looking into the eps to go with my mpc. word.

A.N.T. from Atmosophere uses an ASR-10, in my opinion hes one of the hottest producers out there. especially on the Felt 2 album...

Back