Anyone else disappointed with the sequencing capabilities of the MPC 2000 (not XL) ?

These machines are very deep, I've had my 2000xl for 3 years and I still find new ways to create with it and little tricks. Definitely read the manual front to back a few times to get your foundation

These machines are very deep, I've had my 2000xl for 3 years and I still find new ways to create with it and little tricks. Definitely read the manual front to back a few times to get your foundation

yeah these machines are beasts

i really prefer it to fl studio. the sequencer seem to be just perfect.

I was gonna say the same thing, not the best, but more then enough. OK if you make an error programming a particular sound, be hats kicks whatever. go to whatever track its on and hold ERASE + the pad or pads that arnt right, you can do this from teh start and erase the whole thing, or just for the part thats wrong and replay it if you want. I think rec has to be on when you do this though, but I havent touch my mpc in damn near 7 months so I dont recall.

When i bought it i thought it would be really good but it really isnt as good as i thought it would be

Firstly, you can make individual tracks into one main song. Which means that if you dont like the hi hat in the song you have to start all again which is really annoying.

Unless there's something i dunno about the MPC 2000's sequencing, id say im disappointed.

How does Kanye make hits which such a bad sequencer or could anyone help me to sequence better on the MPC 2000?

Dude if you don't like a hihat all you have to do is delete the one you have and put another one on the same pad and it will be replaced, why do you think you have to make a new track all over? You're concept of the MPC is way off. The sequencer in the MPC's are like the best in the world, you have to learn how to use it. People can't teach you how to use the MPC over the internet you have to be shown hands on or keep practicing until you get it. I got my first MPC I made a beat in 10 minutes. I was making beats on the Dr 5 which is much more complicated than the MPC. The MPC made my life easier. The sequencer is really good you need to really learn how to work it.

I'm fairly new to the mpc so don't own me ha. I must have been sequencing complety wrong. The question I want an answer to so is this ; can I play track 1 and track 2 and track 3 together? If so then I can own with this machine ha

It sounds like you are confusing tracks with sequences.. Do you have a manual and have you read it?

You are probably creating multiple sequences thinking you are making tracks for one sequence. Your mpc has 99 sequences that all contain 64 tracks. I'm on an xl so I'm not sure but you should be able to switch the track in your sequence by hitting f5(track down) and f6(track up). Or just by moving your cursor to Tr and using your data wheel.

Last edited:
Sequences are for arrangements of the music you recorded on the MPC. Tracks are where you put individual instruments. Once you have done everything you like, you can set up your arrangement in the song mode area. Which is so easy!

Dude if you don't like a hihat all you have to do is delete the one you have and put another one on the same pad and it will be replaced, why do you think you have to make a new track all over? You're concept of the MPC is way off. The sequencer in the MPC's are like the best in the world, you have to learn how to use it. People can't teach you how to use the MPC over the internet you have to be shown hands on or keep practicing until you get it. I got my first MPC I made a beat in 10 minutes. I was making beats on the Dr 5 which is much more complicated than the MPC. The MPC made my life easier. The sequencer is really good you need to really learn how to work it.

lol i was taught a lot of the stuff I didnt know on my mpc over aim. I kinda just figured out the basic stuff

lol i was taught a lot of the stuff I didnt know on my mpc over aim. I kinda just figured out the basic stuff

Man his concept of it is off so I am wondering how can he be taught? I didn't learn anything of the MPC over the net, I just kept playing with it, and learned and it was basically easy and I read the manual a lil too. The thing I read the most was the looping part and the book don't tell you certain things I used common sense to learn how to get a loop perfect and rocking in the sequencer.

Yall really making the MPC machine sound like it's worth buying even in 2010

AND PEOPLE TRYING TO MAKE THE MPC SOUND LIKE SOME WASHED UP GEAR AND NEED TO BE THROWN TO SCRAPS AND EVERYONE SHOULD JUST GRAB MASCHINE NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

Well it depends, just because it's 2010 doesn't mean anything. MPC's will be around for much more than that, and trust me Akai is going to up their ante if you look around and see what Akai is doing you will see that.

My thing is I am not trying to force or coerce anyone into getting an MPC, what I am saying is, I don't need Maschine and I don't like NI, and the MPC 2000xl works just fine for ME! I'm not switching over. I use Record/Reason and my other Akai Product the MPK88 handles all I need. So why would I need to spend more money just to get Maschine? I mean really why? It makes absolutely no sense for my set up.

I still make Music off the MPC because I am quick with it and I know it, I have no time to learn Maschine. I can track out 8 tracks simultaneously with the MPC so I am good, I can also transfer wav and midi from the Mac to the MPC. If I want a Rex file all I gotta do is open up Record real quick, take that Rex file bounce it to a wav then take that wav and bring it right into the MPC. So I really don't understand all this 2010 stuff people keep saying. I love to sample into it straight up and again if my Mac were to go down, I could still make music! Maschine is not an answer to the MPC because there is no answer for the MPC it does what it does quite well and it has been doing it for quite some time.

At the end of the day the customer is not going to say "YO WAS THAT DONE ON THE MPC OR MASCHINE?" They are going to want to know is that track hot enough to spend their money. :sing:

Last edited:
the original poster needs to not use a pmc anymore just cold walk away. i bought my mpc used with no manual and i made a beat 10 minutes after i got it. without looking at a manual. i did ask some questions online for lil small things here and there.

the original poster needs to not use a pmc anymore just cold walk away. i bought my mpc used with no manual and i made a beat 10 minutes after i got it. without looking at a manual. i did ask some questions online for lil small things here and there.

Co-sign ^^^
My first drum machine was Dr 5, that drum machine was the most difficult to use because you have to definitely be on point when making drum patterns with it in it's sequencer. So it made me good at programming. When I got the MPC2000 my first MPC that made my life so simple. I put the Dr5 away and never looked back. Me too, it only took me 10 minutes to make a track. I was loving the sequencer. the repeat note on it awwwwwwwwwh man, I love that Machine, I aint never passing up my MPC for no Maschine no way hosea!

sorry i have fl and it is not giving a mpc a run for the money. maybe if ur 16 and have no money and want to get a cracked daw sequencer. the. my 9 year old makes beats on fl. to me fl is boring and not fun. click dots and its like its automatic drum pattern with no effort

sorry i have fl and it is not giving a mpc a run for the money. maybe if ur 16 and have no money and want to get a cracked daw sequencer. the. my 9 year old makes beats on fl. to me fl is boring and not fun. click dots and its like its automatic drum pattern with no effort

:bigeyes: Yuck !!! It still does the click dots thingy? When I first saw that I was like "YO THIS THING IS MAKING MUSIC MAKERS LAZY!"

When I seen how FL operated I knew I wasn't going to use that, and never even looked at it again. I thought by now you could use pads with FL now and record in it?

the sequencing of the MPC I love and being hands on with the pads is so yummy! They thought FL would knock MPC out but it didn't. I love the sequencer in the MPC. Record/Reason to me has the next best sequencer to the MPC that's why I love Record.

Not a fl fan boy but u can play out your drums like a normal app or mpc
Also Edison shits on most sampler editors
Not a FL fan but just a realist

The MPC still has its purpose and place in music. For those of us who have a lot of hardware or play live it still has its place. Of course computer software has made programs that duplicate and expound on its functions but that does not mean it is worthless. It is the same as saying having a stove is pointless since the microwave is available.

you are giving the mpc way too much credit here. Its a sequencer with pads and a sampler. Sure its great at what it does and it has unique things about it but at the end of the day its still a sequencer with pads and a sampler. You can do everything in FL that you can do with a mpc and this is coming from a guy who hates FL. If u choose to mouse around beats in FL that is your choice or you can grab a decent midi controller and work fl from the midi controller and get a really good hardware feel out of it.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

:bigeyes: Yuck !!! It still does the click dots thingy? When I first saw that I was like "YO THIS THING IS MAKING MUSIC MAKERS LAZY!"
Its just a step sequencer they were popular on a lot of 80s drum machines the 808 probably being the most popular I think the 909 did it also but I am not sure. Hell the Redrum in Reason has this feature lol. Btw how long have you been using Reason? Or did you start using Reason and Record at the same time? Just curious. I see you use terms and features from Reason and Record interchangeably like you have only used them as a combo and never standalone.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

The MPC still has its purpose and place in music. For those of us who have a lot of hardware or play live it still has its place. Of course computer software has made programs that duplicate and expound on its functions but that does not mean it is worthless. It is the same as saying having a stove is pointless since the microwave is available.
you think so? I ended up going back to my Reason setup and bought Record. Since then I haven't thought about my mpc or my Eps for that matter. Once I figured how to get Reason's remote features to work in my favor it was a wrap. I only use the mouse to move through folders when I am selecting sounds and when i am editing notes in the sequencer other than that I don't touch it ever. BCF2000 get one

you are giving the mpc way too much credit here. Its a sequencer with pads and a sampler. Sure its great at what it does and it has unique things about it but at the end of the day its still a sequencer with pads and a sampler. You can do everything in FL that you can do with a mpc and this is coming from a guy who hates FL. If u choose to mouse around beats in FL that is your choice or you can grab a decent midi controller and work fl from the midi controller and get a really good hardware feel out of it.

---------- Post added at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

Its just a step sequencer they were popular on a lot of 80s drum machines the 808 probably being the most popular I think the 909 did it also but I am not sure. Hell the Redrum in Reason has this feature lol. Btw how long have you been using Reason? Or did you start using Reason and Record at the same time? Just curious. I see you use terms and features from Reason and Record interchangeably like you have only used them as a combo and never standalone.

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

you think so? I ended up going back to my Reason setup and bought Record. Since then I haven't thought about my mpc or my Eps for that matter. Once I figured how to get Reason's remote features to work in my favor it was a wrap. I only use the mouse to move through folders when I am selecting sounds and when i am editing notes in the sequencer other than that I don't touch it ever. BCF2000 get one

What is your point? My point was if you still favor a large hardware setup. You just mentioned your Reason/Record setup. I am talking about those people who have a rack of modules, or 2 and 3 tier keyboard stands, etc. You aren't probably using Reason to sequence all your other gear. My point is that a lot of people don't have a room full of hardware all controlled by Sonar/Cubase etc. I have done that plot and it does work, but the MPC is much faster and easier to route in that aspect, at least to me.

Now, part 2. I said if you play live, and really I mean more in a band situation and not DJ. If you DJ, then yeah, you might be rocking Ableton and triggering scenes to your heart's content. I won't lie, I have been to recent concerts and saw laptops on stage triggering sequences, but I also see MPC's still in use on stage, especially with the drummer or percussion.

Back