AKAI S950 + EMU SP12 Turbo?

jonjonmackie

JONJONMACKIE
I am looking for info on using these two units together. Does anyone have experience with this combo? Also looking for links to websites that discuss this.

A friend is loaning me his SP12 Turbo and S950 so I can learn to use them Emu as controller and S950 as sampler. I appreciate any info from experienced users.

Thanks,
Chris

thats the old school combo. Everyone used to rock that combination in the 90s. The Sp12 as the drum machine adn sequencer and the S950 for the samples. Great combo. The akai S series are argueably the best samplers of all time. The Sp12 and 1200 are a lot of peoples favorite drum machines after the mpc 3000.

IMO, Just use an SP with a MPC 1000 w/ JJos2. s950 is archaic and the mpc 1000 w/jjos2 can do the same **** plus more. The setup would be much more convienent. ....or you can have fun with floppies...

Why use the Sp with a mpc thats redundant. If u r going to get a mpc 1000 u might as well use it alone. it does everything the sp and 950 combo does and then some. and i believe u can upgrade both machines to use a card reader too

you and I both know the sound of either SP cannot be replicated on an MPC. Basically, im saying he should use the SP for drums and record into the MPC using the 1000's direct record feature. All other samples can be within the MPC.

I've heard sound comparisons of the s950 and IMO, it lacks the clarity and punch of even a 2000xl. I've never heard of card readers for s950 but that **** is old and lacks sample time. This aint 92. you shouldnt have to record at 45 then pitch down anymore. I gaurentee that **** will get annoying.

Last edited:
a minute of sample time should be more than enough but I understand your point. I personally wouldn't use a SP with a mpc tho. To me its easier just to use the mpc even if the SP sound is mad sexy

I use an S959 with an ASR X Pro

similar setup?

what do you wanna know about them exactly?

Im sure you have heard about the gritty idiosyncrasies of the SP...and the great warm sound of the 950 with its comprehensive ease of use

sounds like a good enough combo to me

worry about getting some more records, thats whats bothering me

need more records....aahh

I kinda wants a old school combo....I'm gonna keep my eyes out for a s900 or 950 now....maybe I'll take it back to my old set up and get a mpc....

Meh none as of yet, Working on a bit more room treatment next month and paying off debt. I know I can get a 950 cheap though...evilbay!

i have a ton of equipment but the setup im using right now is s900 with a mpc2000 the s900 is a better sampler than the mpc i think u can do so much with it. it help u think outside the box cause all u have is 11sec of sampling time

lvngdead said:
yeah, you don't know how evil it is until you start to sell on it. bastards.

Wouldn't you rather cop a s3000 instead of a s950?
MEh either will be fine for me! I'd like to go a old school route though so Ideally s950 and a mpc.

jonjonmackie said:
I am looking for info on using these two units together. Does anyone have experience with this combo? Also looking for links to websites that discuss this.

A friend is loaning me his SP12 Turbo and S950 so I can learn to use them Emu as controller and S950 as sampler. I appreciate any info from experienced users.

Thanks,
Chris

here's a good site: http://sp1200.myfastforum.org/

I recently copped an SP12 Turbo but I use it alone and can say it's a great machine. the main thing about the S950 is the fact that it has that famous low pass filter that was used in Jay-Z's Dead Presidents and many old school tracks. also that it's 12 bit and has variable sample rates.. the SP12 is cool because it has a built in battery so it saves sounds and sequences when it's turned off but it does not save pitch or anything like that. Great machine!

i love when folks come in a suggest that the OP get some other equipment, when he clearly asked questions about the equipment he already has. if he asks about A and B, why would you tell him to get C? silly.
LevLove

LevLover said:
i love when folks come in a suggest that the OP get some other equipment, when he clearly asked questions about the equipment he already has. if he asks about A and B, why would you tell him to get C? silly.
LevLove

haha word

Back