Akai s900 hissing...

YeahCrassMix

So I picked up an s900 off ebay recently for $50 just to run my drums through. It sounds awesome but i always end up with way too much hissing in the background.

While I'm recording the sounds into the machine and monitoring the drums sounds I'm playing through the s900 it sounds fine. Then I'll play back what I recorded and there is an ass of hissing.

I've tried to remove the sounds afterwards but then it ****s with the sound of my drums. anything I can do to get this to stop?

Hm...then do you you think it might be that theres something wrong with your machine?

When you change the record level does it just come up at a lower volume, with the hiss still present?

Im trying to think what else it could be...

i'm monitoring the sound through the machine and there is no hiss while i'm recording. afterwards the level of hiss is about the same no matter if i recorded with the the record level towards the minimum or the maximum.

at the max the drums are louder so it's a little bit harder to hear the hiss, but its still annoying.

Last edited:
well, thats that gritty sound you signed up for. welcome to the world of old skool samplers. have fun! actually, see if there is a way to change the sample rate/bit depth, if so, turn it up to a higher quality, sounds like your recording at a lower sample rate/bit depth.
LevLove

yeah his sample rate is too low. I have a 12 bit sampler that doesnt have hiss in the back but when i sample at 10 hz on my s3000 i get the hiss in the back

idk then kuz this beat was done in my s3000 and i got 0 hiss

Take your 900 to a tech

edit: Guilty J used to use the S950 and I don't think he got much hiss either. Get at him he may be beneficial

Last edited:
Back