Akai S1000 Digital In/Out to Laptop?

Uzer7662

I'm looking to use the Digital Out on my Akai S1000. It's an AES/EBU coax/optical out at 16 bit, 44.1/48 khz. I don't need the higher fidelity. What are my options to hook it up to a laptop running Audacity (or other software) on Windows XP via usb/firewire? The cheaper the way the better. Everything I find in a web search only features either AES/EBU XLR or SPDIF coax/optical, and/or is very pricey. Thanks

I don't think you have to worry so much about the connection type as I am currently using some XLR-to-RCA adapters on one of my hardware effects units which I have routed into and out of Cubase without any problems but if memory serves me correctly SPDIF uses different voltages to AES/EBU so with interfaces that allow you to switch between one and the other it's not uncommon for the AES/EBU to be of a slightly lower voltage than it should be. I use a card based system myself so I am not too sure what the best external options for your budget are. I probably wouldn't use the digital i/o on an S1000 because that would bypass the converters and as far as I know you can't do a DAT backup like you can on some of the newer Akai samplers so that would be a tedious way to shift samples around for storage in my opinion.

Back