Is Akai MPK 49 better than the M Audio Axiom 49?

I just got my MPK 49... and I haven't figured out how to use the arpeggiator with Reason for example... I know it has to be in EXTERNAL MIDI SYNC, but when I turn on the arpeggiator, it simply doesn't play anything... I don't think the sync is working... What may I be doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

I've never used the Axiom... but this MPK 49 is da ish!

i been tryen to make this decision for a week i mite juss get the axiom

I have a axiom 49 and its no joke. Never used the mpk, but I have heard nothing but good things about it. I personally don't think you'll go wrong either way.

I got my Axiom49 for $225, so I didn't think the MPK was worth an extra $175.

Just compare the two yourself, play them in person and decide.

Neither one is a bad choice, don't be fooled by the low price tag, the Axioms aren't toys, they're solid devices. (I've had both an Axiom25 and 49 now)

The MPK's drum pads would be more important to me, but I realisized for the difference between the two, I could buy a seperate drum controller anyway, or atleast put a large chunk toward something nice like the PadKontrol.

I have an axiom 49 and it is no joke...I've had problems with mine, but I think it was a defective one, so m-audio has it at the moment, but I went to GC and played w/the MPK is a hell of a controller as well...it's built very sturdy, has heavier keys which are cool, the pads were ok...but they felt like 2nd hand MPC 500 pads to me...other than that, it's great! I personally feel that the axioms have better keys and pads but that MPK is tempting!!

I've worked at a music retailer and I can tell you I would would go with the Axiom. I have an Axiom 61 and I haven't even scratched the surface of what it can do.

The MPK49 is a great controller also. The note repeat function is awesome.

Both machines are great pieces of equipment.

Last edited:
The Akai is better!!!!

To answer the question... The Akai MPK series is better than the Axiom. We use both extensively. I like both but the Akai shines much brighter all around. Nicer feeling action. Nice faders and pots. Multi-page expansion better than Axiom. Both can be USB powered by the weak little Mac PowerBook that has low power output on it's USB Port. The Akai appreciator is nowhere as nice as the old intellegent oberheims on the 0B-8 but hey...

The Akai Pads need to have a 16th of an inch pad modification and this is best done with the old rubberized vinyl with fiber backing electricians tape from the 1940's if you can find some. Don't use new black electricians tape or the crap that guy is selling on ebay which is just thin packing foam. With the pad mod on the Akai, it runs circles arount the Axiom. The pads are great!!!!!! after moding. The control surface is so much more thatn the Axiom... no argument. However if you really want a great Keyboard but don't care how much you spend, then buy the Music Computing's "Blade"
That is a great system.

We use tons of keys at our studio and if our opinion helps... happy day
any questions about the mod, just ask us.

www dot illusionproductions dot com

Curtis

I have an MPK-49 and there are con's for me:
1) It's build is crappy - it's lightweight and easy to transport but plastic as fk. I didn't hardly get it out of the box and one of the keys was already broken and sticking up. Google broken MPK-49 keys and you'll see what I mean.
l.jpg

2) the pads suck - if you don't do the pad mod upgrade the pads feel shallow and miss when you bang out beats. with the pad mod, you get way better sensitivity. Also, MPCStuff has the thicker pads that help out also
3) didn't come with a power adapter when using it with MIDI connections - I know but it's trivial.
4) No Logic or Ableton mapping presets - this video helped me out though: YouTube - ‪AKAI MPK 49 and Logic 9‬‏

Even though I have a couple of cons for the MPK-49, when i do have it connected to my MBP using Ableton or FM8 or Logic, it's a good MIDI controller. It does it's job.

Last edited:
Back