Is Akai MPK 49 better than the M Audio Axiom 49?

J

J Smokey

I'm thinking about getting a Mpk 49, but is the Axiom 49 good?

I just want to know before I buy it, since M Audio is cheaper and MPK just came out

Last edited by a moderator:
the axiom 49 is good, i've used it a few times at a friends studio. i don't know it compares to the mpk cause i have not used it yet, but the axiom 49 is no peice of shizznit.
LevLove

get the mpk49 of course. Probably one of the best midi controllers out now. I'm picking one up tomorrow. It's got the mpc's note repeat function, it's own arpeggiator, 4 control banks, list goes on etc.

I heard that the MPK's pads were better. And that the knobs are nicer too. Im also thinking about getting it.

Last edited:
yeah, MPK just seems so much more to it.

I'm probably coppin one soon

i'm thinkin about gettin one myself. The note repeat function is enough to sway me. As far as i know its the only controller with one of those.
i would definately go with MPK over the Axiom

i would.. knowing akai.. u can never be to careful

i mite pick one up.. my keystation is getting on my nervessss

i changed my mind i thought the mpk was cheaper. But if it was my first and only controller, thats what i would get.

So everyone is suggesting that MPK is better than Axiom?

even though it's like 150$ more, but worth it... and need extended warranty since Akai doesn't have manufacture warranty.

does anyone know if the pads on th mpk are from the MPC 1000 or are they the good ol' reliable ones?

Someone mentioned that they were 1000/500 pads.

I got an Axiom 49, I ain't ever upgrading to the MPK 49. Those pads on the Axiom need to be broken in, but once you start playing on em they are so good. They go great with Ableton also. Love my axiom 49.

J Smokey said:
I'm thinking about getting a Mpk 49, but is the Axiom 49 good?

I just want to know before I buy it, since M Audio is cheaper and MPK just came out
i bought the axiom61 and took it back the day the mpk49 came out because of the added features, the keys on the mpk are also better,, if you do buy the mpk and intend on triggering hardware make sure you buy an external power supply because if you power it by usb it shuts off the midi port on the mpk49, also dont try to update the firmware if you have a mac, first you dont need to and second it doesnt work and will render your mpk useless liike it did mine,, i got a new one now and i love it

I love my axiom but atleast on paper, the mpk looks to be the better choice. However, my first m-audio controller had no problems for 4 years, i'm sure it's still going strong. My axiom hasn't ever had a problem either. I really don't know if i trust akai (if you arn't using straight midi). My mpd 16 that i had for less than 24 hours left a bad taste. Anyway, i'd probably go with m-audio because i trust it more but you can't go wrong with either feature wise.

have had mine for about 2 weeks use a mac and the upgrading of the firmware was flawless, there was some controller issues with reason 4.0, but akai fixed it. i've used both and i can tell you as far as build goes the akai is way better everything on this board feels like quality, the axiom by comparson feels cheap. i can controll reason well with it but in not sure if the transport works with any daws. i have digital performer and most of the time i rewire reason. in dp the transport control only play the sequencer i cant get it to record.

well, bought the akai the other day waitin for it to show up at my house...

the thing is since the was designed to be portable, trying to find a case for is is impossible, i bought the novation 49 key bag because it has a space for my macbook pro which fits fine, but the keyboard part is to big. i can also see by the design of the bag that most novation boards are really light. the mpk must be heaver than most i know it weights more than the axiom. the akai would have broken the bag down with any considerable travel. so dont buy the novation 49 key bag if youre looking to transport your mpk its not a good fit.

Back