Akai mpc 2k xl / s950 midi connection

oggiemme

Hello everyone. I've been having this s950 for 3 weeks already, but still didn't understand anything about how to midi-connect it with MPC 2k xl.
Honestly, I thought that I understood how the midi logic worked, but in the end I didn't get any sound as output, so I felt so idiot and bad.
Please don't say me to read manuals or check tutorials on the web... I've checked the manual many and many times, but the more I read it the more I feel confused. Same for tutorials or similar topic... nothing helped me enough.

Would writing a full workflow of yours (ofc if you have both s950 and mpc), step by step, take much time?
I feel so lost cuz I have this powerful machine but I can't really understand the logic to connect this with my MPC.
I just got my mpc with recorded sounds + midi cable (mpc output A - s950 input).

Please heeeelp, thank ya in advance

Don't have neither an MPC nor a S950, but the basics should be pretty straightforward. The first step is already present & correct: MIDI out from the MPC to the MIDI in of the S950. Then you'll need an audio cable from the S950's output(s) to the inputs of the MPC - or to mixer, or audio interface - depending on how you want to work, but it needs to output somewhere, obviously...but it shouldn't be any more complicated than that. You might have to check which MIDI channel the MPC sends on (each MIDI bus consists of 16 channels) and what the S950 receives on (these should be the same).

Don't have neither an MPC nor a S950, but the basics should be pretty straightforward. The first step is already present & correct: MIDI out from the MPC to the MIDI in of the S950. Then you'll need an audio cable from the S950's output(s) to the inputs of the MPC - or to mixer, or audio interface - depending on how you want to work, but it needs to output somewhere, obviously...but it shouldn't be any more complicated than that. You might have to check which MIDI channel the MPC sends on (each MIDI bus consists of 16 channels) and what the S950 receives on (these should be the same).
I've never used an S950, but on top of what krushing said, I would suggest connecting the S950 to a mixer or audio interface as the MPC2000XL will only allow incoming audio in "Sample" mode, which disables MIDI being send out to other devices when in this mode.

Back