Accessing an Akai s3200xl via SCSI - questions

Tekhed66

Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes... (moderators, please move this if it's the wrong place)

Here's a question(s) for those of you living in those dark, scary days of pre-USB...

I have a s3200xl and I am trying to access it via SCSI. I have a PCI-e SCSI card in my desktop that I know works under Win7 64 as I can access a SCSI CD drive without problems but I can't use it to talk to my sampler.

When I connect my sampler, the computer says it's installing a driver ... thinks a bit and then says installation wasn't successful. I have tried turning the sampler on first and then booting the computer (correct way) and also trying it with the computer booted.-

So ... questions:
Does anyone know what this driver might be?
Do I have to install something other than the driver?
Do I have to configure my sampler in any special way?
If anyone here can talk to their sampler via SCSI, do you use it under Win7 or are you also using an old Win95/98 computer and SCSI card of the same vintage as the sampler?
Is there a SCSI 'fuse'???

I know it's a bit of a doozy but ANY info would be really appreciated :)

Thanks for your help

I guess I can't be of any direct help, back when I still had hardware samplers, stuff just worked via ReCycle on XP. Have you read this thread? Also, hollandturbine (who's providing some answers in that discussion) is also on here occasionally.

I guess I can't be of any direct help, back when I still had hardware samplers, stuff just worked via ReCycle on XP. Have you read this thread? Also, hollandturbine (who's providing some answers in that discussion) is also on here occasionally.

Hi Krushing

Thanks very much for the info ... I had completely forgotten about the aspi problem.

I installed the Frogaspi dll and my computer could now see the sampler but I'm still unable to send/receive data from it .... I'm trying to send samples to it from Wavelab but it's not seeing the sampler ... still a few more bugs to sort out (I hope) ... the biggest problem is that I'm trying to get an old piece of gear to use outdated software on a new Win7 64bit OS ... talk about a generation gap ... they just don't want to talk to each other... oh well .. keep tinkering.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hi all

Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes... (moderators, please move this if it's the wrong place)

Here's a question(s) for those of you living in those dark, scary days of pre-USB...

I have a s3200xl and I am trying to access it via SCSI. I have a PCI-e SCSI card in my desktop that I know works under Win7 64 as I can access a SCSI CD drive without problems but I can't use it to talk to my sampler.

When I connect my sampler, the computer says it's installing a driver ... thinks a bit and then says installation wasn't successful. I have tried turning the sampler on first and then booting the computer (correct way) and also trying it with the computer booted.-

So ... questions:
Does anyone know what this driver might be?
Do I have to install something other than the driver?
Do I have to configure my sampler in any special way?
If anyone here can talk to their sampler via SCSI, do you use it under Win7 or are you also using an old Win95/98 computer and SCSI card of the same vintage as the sampler?
Is there a SCSI 'fuse'???

I know it's a bit of a doozy but ANY info would be really appreciated :)

Thanks for your help

You'll be hard-pressed trying to find a way to connect a modern computer to your s3200xl.
It's been many years since I've used a PC, but I recall that "looking for a driver" being somewhat default behavior with a new device (one of the reasons I moved on to Mac: no driver hassle).

Sampling into that machine will be way faster than messing with SCSI.
If you want to work with speed, getting a SCSI2SD reader for your Akai, a card reader able to read that card, an Chicken Systems Translator can speed you up.

(Got an s3200XL myself with those devices speeding me up when I need it)

Back