Scarlette 2i2 no power

Coleman1

Coleman1
I just upgraded to a scarlette 2i2 and although it's clear with low latency, the output levels are ridiculously low. I have the headphones knob raised to max and it's still so quiet. Really, I feel like getting a refund and buying something that has more volume because that's the only thing stopping me from using this right now... Thoughts?

Output and not the actual gain? I assume you aren't talking about stuff you're actively recording into a mic sounding quiet. I know that scarlette has a really weak max gain.

How many ohms are the headphones?

250ohm for my headphones. And to the other quote above ^^ --- I do mean the actual output, the knob is completely maxed and It's not even half of the volume I'd like it to be. It's completely weak in power. Do you think I should consider refunding it and getting something with a better amp? It's just a shame because I always see nothing but good reviews about this one, but only a few people seem to have this problem like I'm having.. I've been looking into other ones but now I'm super pedantic about finding one that actually has adequate power.

Last edited:
  • Analogue Output Performance:
    • Nominal Output Level: 0dBFS = 10dBu, balanced
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
    • THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, un-weighted)
    • Output Impedance: < 10 Ohm
    • Power Output into 150 Ohm: 15mW
    • Power Output into 50 Ohm: 30mW

Just as I thought the problem may be the impedance. Just guessing here DT770 or at least Beyer Dynamic headphones?

You can do a search on "250 ohm scarlett 2i2" and others have the same problem with it not being sufficient enough since its usb bus powered. They can barely be driven.

DT770 + Scarlett 2i2? : WeAreTheMusicMakers
Headphones - 80 or 250 Ohm? - pink fish media Especially last post of thread.

I cant find it in the specification sheet in the manual, but I have the 18i20. I was going to say they could be similar, but no its most likely different since it plugs into the wall. I'd say for me the mic pre's were kind of low but then again I prefer to be at a regular speaking level. I got a preamp for it. I never had a problem with noise from my headphone amp like mentioned on one of those posts. No problem with the headphones with my ATH-M50x, but those are 38 ohm's.

So either return it and get something that can fully drive your headphones or get headphones that don't require so much ohms. I'd say return it so you wont have headphones laying around. If not either just get a headphone amp that can and has positive reviews.

Last edited:
  • Analogue Output Performance:
    • Nominal Output Level: 0dBFS = 10dBu, balanced
    • Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz +/- 0.2dB
    • THD+N: < 0.001% (measured with 0dBFS input 22Hz/22kHz bandpass filter, un-weighted)
    • Output Impedance: < 10 Ohm
    • Power Output into 150 Ohm: 15mW
    • Power Output into 50 Ohm: 30mW

Just as I thought the problem may be the impedance. Just guessing here DT770 or at least Beyer Dynamic headphones?

You can do a search on "250 ohm scarlett 2i2" and others have the same problem with it not being sufficient enough since its usb bus powered. They can barely be driven.

DT770 + Scarlett 2i2? : WeAreTheMusicMakers
Headphones - 80 or 250 Ohm? - pink fish media Especially last post of thread.

I cant find it in the specification sheet in the manual, but I have the 18i20. I was going to say they could be similar, but no its most likely different since it plugs into the wall. I'd say for me the mic pre's were kind of low but then again I prefer to be at a regular speaking level. I got a preamp for it. I never had a problem with noise from my headphone amp like mentioned on one of those posts. No problem with the headphones with my ATH-M50x, but those are 38 ohm's.

So either return it and get something that can fully drive your headphones or get headphones that don't require so much ohms. I'd say return it so you wont have headphones laying around. If not either just get a headphone amp that can and has positive reviews.

Yeah you're spot on - I use DT 770's and on my lexicon alpha they can actually get quite loud on my headphones, and can get REALLY loud on my monitors, so loud to the point I haven't gotten close to testing it's maximus capability. But the scarlette 2i2 isn't even a 4th of that power, and even on monitors which is important for me because I need to check every now and then what my mixes sound like loud. But as much as that's cool about the lexicon, I know it's time for an upgrade. I'm thinking of returning it but just don't know what other interface I'd go to, because I don't really feel like getting a separate amp...

Back